E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is the E90 steering *undefined* around the center??

View Poll Results: Is the E90 steering *undefined* around the center?
Yes 13 25.00%
No 29 55.77%
Don't really know or haven't thought about it. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

06-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Gnosis
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i on order :-)

Is the E90 steering *undefined* around the center??

I was out driving a 330i (a friend of mine's) the other day. It had no active steering, no sport suspension and stock size wheels.

I couldn't help but to notice that I found the steering somewhat *undefined* around the center. It didn't feel like it had anything to do with wheel angles and such. Instead it almost felt the steering mechanism had a tiny amount of slack in it. It was hard to place the car 100% exactly when traveling in a straight line.

I've driven Ferraris, Porsches, Mercedes, Audis, Lexus etc, etc. And almost each and every one of these I can say was better to keep a straight line on the motorway and on backroads.

A bit strange I think. You'd think that BMW shouldn't be able to screw up a "simple" thing like the steering.

What do you think of this? Have you felt the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
Ponchoyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Black

I have Active Steering in mine and mine is not defined. I'm noticing that I'm compensating left or right on a straight road. Anyone else with this problem?
      06-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Does it become more "defined" ie. centered when you go faster on the highway, say 80-100kmh? If so, then what you're feeling is the effect of the wider and shorter footprint of the front tires, especially with the sport package 225/45/18.

This effect is also known as tramlining when driving on well-travelled roads with ruts and grooves in the road, where you feel the steering dart all over the place and you're fighting it just to keep going straight.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
Gnosis
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have Active Steering in mine and mine is not defined. I'm noticing that I'm compensating left or right on a straight road. Anyone else with this problem?
I see - so I'm not the only one then...

Quote:
Does it become more "defined" ie. centered when you go faster on the highway, say 80-100kmh? If so, then what you're feeling is the effect of the wider and shorter footprint of the front tires, especially with the sport package 225/45/18.
Nope - that's not it. The car I drove had 225-18 tyres all around but the effect was still there. Nice try though - but this is more a "mechanical thing" in the steering mechanism I think. At least it feels like that....

hmmmm, hmmmm.......
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

I find my steering to be very tight and connected on the autobahn. I found that I cannot drive this car with my hands at the 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock positions. The steering wheel requires a bit more 'hands-off' style so that you aren't constantly over correcting. I don't find this to be problem though, I think this is the way they intended it to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 02:35 AM   #6
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I bought a 325i with SP w/o AFS (Active Steering) for my younger sister and I thought this E90 has better on-center feel that many of my other high priced cars (745Li, M-Benz E55 AMG, Porsche 996 TT, 997 S.)

I feel that mine if anything is very twitchy at higher speeds (over 80mph). I also drive a 530i with AFS steering and I know the feeling that Ponchoyu is talking about.

Although the car you drove maybe brand new, alignment settings can be out of spec even for a factory car. I had a Porsche 996 GT3 and it came out of the box with most of the alignment settings were out of factory specs. Even my dealer (McKenna Porsche in LA) couldn't get it to spec and I had to take it to a special alignment shop that specializes in Porsches to get it right. And yes...It made a big difference in on-center feel and high speed stability.

I've noticed that BMW steering has actually gotten worse of the years. I remember my old E36 M3 has one of the best steering racks in the world. Even in todays standard, I still think it's one of the best. The last E39 5-series, the 528i & 530i's had better feel when compared to the 540 & M5s. And when you drive a E60 5-series today with or w/o AFS, it still doesn't feel even as nice as the E39 528/530s.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

I've driven two different E90's, 320i and 325i. Both had 17" alloys and sport suspension (+sports steering wheel) and didn't have active steering. Anyway the steering was tight and didn't find any looseness or undefined feel around the center.

I've yet to drive one without sport suspension so I can't say if different suspensions affects to steering feel. Overall E90's steering feels more precise and more firm than the E46's steering IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
Overall E90's steering feels more precise and more firm than the E46's steering IMO.
I agree...When I first drove the E90 325i SP, the first thing that came to my mind was how much heavier the E90 vs E46 steering effort felt.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

is heaver better?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

Quote:
I remember my old E36 M3 has one of the best steering racks in the world.
Agree completely, 168 - that's the gold standard. My 95 M3 had the best steering I've experienced in a bimmer. Solid centering and incisive control in corners - you knew exactly what was going on between the tires and the road. (super tight buttery smooth stick shifting and the free revving 6 weren't bad either ).

That said, having read these and similar posts, when I went to test drive I paid close attention to 'center definition' on the E90. Yes, it is a tad 'virtualized' from the E36/E46 models and maybe a wee bit heavier to compensate, but all-in-all I found it acceptably tight in the center and otherwise.

I do wish I didn't have to stretch my hand from the wheel to tap the horn which may be too far inboard due to all the push-buttons.

tima
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 01:06 AM   #11
Gnosis
Private
Rep

Hmm... ok - so it seems some of you guys feel somewhat the same as I do. The E90 steering is "ok" but by no means as good as, for example, the E36 M3. Which is a shame since BMW should have learned to build a good steering by now but simply don't seem to get around to it.

Maybe I should do that wheel alignment check as well. You'd think that the car should be perfectly adjusted when it leaves the factory. But maybe it isn't...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 04:30 AM   #12
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis
Hmm... ok - so it seems some of you guys feel somewhat the same as I do. The E90 steering is "ok" but by no means as good as, for example, the E36 M3. Which is a shame since BMW should have learned to build a good steering by now but simply don't seem to get around to it.

Maybe I should do that wheel alignment check as well. You'd think that the car should be perfectly adjusted when it leaves the factory. But maybe it isn't...
One of the sad things is when a dealer does it's PDI (pre-delivery inspection), alignment settings isn't one of the things they check.

When I picked up my sister's 325i two weeks ago, they delivered the car with the shipping blocks left in the car. She complained to me about how stiff it was and I thought she just wasn't used to a sport suspension as she used to drive my mum's Range Rover. I take it for a drive and it's way stiff. Sure enough, they left the shipping blocks in the rear suspension.

I understand mistakes are made, but with all this talk on the other thread about giving dealers 5 for outstanding service....There is still much work needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 12:50 PM   #13
Gnosis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
When I picked up my sister's 325i two weeks ago, they delivered the car with the shipping blocks left in the car. She complained to me about how stiff it was and I thought she just wasn't used to a sport suspension as she used to drive my mum's Range Rover. I take it for a drive and it's way stiff. Sure enough, they left the shipping blocks in the rear suspension.
...... Nice.... they could market it as the rennsport suspension.....

Anyway - good of you to introduce your sister to a proper 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
jubol
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Says a lot for BMW's lack of Quality Control!!
Fred
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
How do these shipping blocks look like and where would they be? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #16
arnie
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d auto

hi, guys never heard of this in south africa from bmw, boils down to badly trained bmw service technicians in your area. the best built 3 series bmw's in the world are currently built in south africa, do some research.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #17
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis
...... Nice.... they could market it as the rennsport suspension.....

Anyway - good of you to introduce your sister to a proper 325i
I actually liked it! I was joking with the PDI manager about leaving them in!

Yes...she's very happy with the car even with it's minor problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
How do these shipping blocks look like and where would they be? Thanks!
Silverado...

I kept one of the blocks...It's in the glovebox and I'll get you some pics when I get home.

They are between the strut body and piston and kept it from moving during transport.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 06:34 AM   #19
jammy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Question

I've had my car for a couple of weeks now and the only (potential) issue I have had with the steering is at high speeds on the motorway - say 80-90mph. At these speeds the steering seems really light and a bit 'wobbly'. At lower speeds - say 50mph - the car feels like its glued to a straight line and you have to apply effort to steer left or right (ie when you turn the wheel there is some resitance). At higher speeds it seems to wobble around a lot and needs a lot of careful attention and adjustment to keep it going in a straight line (ie you can turn the wheel with the tip of your little finger and the car jumps eft or right).

Does this sound right?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 07:56 AM   #20
Bimmer325
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy
I've had my car for a couple of weeks now and the only (potential) issue I have had with the steering is at high speeds on the motorway - say 80-90mph. At these speeds the steering seems really light and a bit 'wobbly'. At lower speeds - say 50mph - the car feels like its glued to a straight line and you have to apply effort to steer left or right (ie when you turn the wheel there is some resitance). At higher speeds it seems to wobble around a lot and needs a lot of careful attention and adjustment to keep it going in a straight line (ie you can turn the wheel with the tip of your little finger and the car jumps eft or right).

Does this sound right?
yea...kinda agree on the undefined center feeling when i took the 325i up to 120km/h in seconds...this is with Active Steering
should have felt more planted on the steering though...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #21
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy

Does this sound right?
Hi Jammy,

I noticed the same thing a few times. The "wobbly" feeling I noticed and I thought my tires might need to be rebalanced.

I have a non-active car and I noticed the rack is too assisted at high speeds. Not sure what can be done...maybe some changes with alignment can solve that problem.
Appreciate 0