E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Machine Polishing

09-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Machine Polishing

I find buffing my car after waxing is a real pain.

I've got some minor scratches and swirls that need polishing out, so I'm debating getting a machine polisher and havng a go myself.

If I did this, would it be OK to use the polisher to buff the car after waxing on an ongoing basis?

If the consensus is that the wax should be buffed by hand then I'll probably get a professional detail instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

If you enjoy detailing and are physically used to it, get a Porter Cable machine or similar - I have one, used it once and it nearly killed me. Sat in the garage ever since!

But I'm really unfit

They can be used for paint correction, application of wax and buffing
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Mr Plum
A member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

Am having a similar dilemma - do I buy a rotary polisher (I would proabbly go for the Meguiars G220) and then have to get used to it, hope I don't introduce buffer trails, burn through etc etc or pay about £100 more for a professional to do it once and then maintain it myself....

To be honest I'm heading towards the professional as I think I know enugh about what to do when washing the car to not introduce any swirls and scratches so once the professional has done it it should look good for a very long time.

I have already had a serious bollocking when the missus added up the "value" of the various washes, polishes, waxes, tar removers, clay bars, snow foam, microfibres etc etc etc that were in the garage (well over £300.... ooops) and fear buying a rotary would be a slippery slope to whole new level of product ownership...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Plum View Post
I have already had a serious bollocking when the missus added up the "value" of the various washes, polishes, waxes, tar removers, clay bars, snow foam, microfibres etc etc etc that were in the garage (well over £300.... ooops) and fear buying a rotary would be a slippery slope to whole new level of product ownership...

ROFL, I have a tub of Zymol Ital (£360) that sits on the top shelf of our fridge, I dread to think what she would say if she actually knew what it costs.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
I find buffing my car after waxing is a real pain.

I've got some minor scratches and swirls that need polishing out, so I'm debating getting a machine polisher and havng a go myself.

If I did this, would it be OK to use the polisher to buff the car after waxing on an ongoing basis?

If the consensus is that the wax should be buffed by hand then I'll probably get a professional detail instead.
Having spoken to a few pro detailers in the past weeks, I've always been told that buffing the wax should be done by hand, and not by machine. The finish is much better and the risk of reintroducing swirl marks vastly reduced.

Think you should get it done once professionally, then just look after the basic cleaning and waxing yourself. If it's swirl-mark free, and you know how to look after the car yourself, then it's easy to keep it pristine.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Quote:

Mate, if you do enquire about a detail, you`ll probably find that whoever does it will use a machine polisher in any case, rather than hand-buffing.

I think that to invest in one of the machines yourself (ie, a porter cable, or the Megs G220), you need to be quite serious about spending time detailing the car yourself on a regular basis, otherwise it`s just not worth spending the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post
Mate, if you do enquire about a detail, you`ll probably find that whoever does it will use a machine polisher in any case, rather than hand-buffing.
Certainly Paul from Shine On doesn't use a machine to buff the wax - hand job only, so to speak!! Same as the guy from Miracle Detail too...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
ROFL, I have a tub of Zymol Ital (£360) that sits on the top shelf of our fridge, I dread to think what she would say if she actually knew what it costs.
Me too is a Zymolist, tub of Glasur left over from my Porsche days.

Only done the BMW once with it in May and it still looks and feels fantastic, paintwork silky smooth and shiny. Full treatment for me is Zymol Autobathe, Clay bar, HD Cleanse and the Glasur.

Hand finishing only and most important to clay bar the car before waxing, if you dont expect lots of swirl marks.

This is the first car that Ive done properly from new and there is not a hazy mark on it anywhere.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Don't bother get a professional to do all the correct work. once that it done applying and then removing wax is a easy. Zymol is a little harder, but once again easy when you are used to it and someone else has done the initial work. It is all in the prep, if it is not good, your finish will never be good, hence get someone to do it initially, it is money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
It is all in the prep, if it is not good, your finish will never be good.
Totally agree.

However, anyone can do it with the right attitude and a little patience. Save some cash too.

Yves
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Hi NFS,

I have a fair bit of experience with car prep including for shows (albeit private) and have used the Porter Cable 7424 for some time - I would be happy to offer advice if you are interested.

In fact I had written you a length reply with loads of advice but my bleeding machines logged me off for some reason

Long story short: Please don't consider a proper 'Rotary' polisher - go the DA route - The PC is a great machine, the Meguiars also.

If you are correcting swirl marks then I recommend a DA polisher such as above and 3M Finesse polish - I can explain the technique with pleasure but haven't time left now.

IMHO a polisher is for polishing - i.e paint correction (swirls/scratches etc). You could buff wax or sealant with one but the results depend on what wax/sealant product you are using as some waxes/sealants are not intended for machine. Let the machine do the work for polishing out problems and do the final wax buffing by hand.

Finally, you would not want to Polish (by that I mean cut) your paint regularly - as you are removing clearcoat BUT you could (with the right products) Buff a wax on your paint regularly (as wax has no cutting action).

I have 26 years of car prep experience so if you want more advice I'd be happy to help.

HTH

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Can't you get your man servant to do it by hand

I am going to get mine done properly, if you are not careful you could do some damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Thanks to all for the advice.

Having looked into it the decent random orbital polishers will set me back about £150.

On that basis I reckon my best bet is probably to spend a little more and get a pro to tidy things up for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Thanks to all for the advice.

Having looked into it the decent random orbital polishers will set me back about £150.

On that basis I reckon my best bet is probably to spend a little more and get a pro to tidy things up for me.
ive got a brand new one that i cant be arsed with its yours for £100.
      09-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #15
encee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Steptronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
Hi NFS,

I have a fair bit of experience with car prep including for shows (albeit private) and have used the Porter Cable 7424 for some time - I would be happy to offer advice if you are interested.

In fact I had written you a length reply with loads of advice but my bleeding machines logged me off for some reason

Long story short: Please don't consider a proper 'Rotary' polisher - go the DA route - The PC is a great machine, the Meguiars also.

If you are correcting swirl marks then I recommend a DA polisher such as above and 3M Finesse polish - I can explain the technique with pleasure but haven't time left now.

IMHO a polisher is for polishing - i.e paint correction (swirls/scratches etc). You could buff wax or sealant with one but the results depend on what wax/sealant product you are using as some waxes/sealants are not intended for machine. Let the machine do the work for polishing out problems and do the final wax buffing by hand.

Finally, you would not want to Polish (by that I mean cut) your paint regularly - as you are removing clearcoat BUT you could (with the right products) Buff a wax on your paint regularly (as wax has no cutting action).

I have 26 years of car prep experience so if you want more advice I'd be happy to help.

HTH

Flaming hell Mark, you certainly sound like a man of experience, with 26 years behind you.

You`ll probably find that you`re going to get a bit battered for advice on the subject of detailing now mate !

Having said that, it`s always good to seek the advice of an expert on these things, and I sometimes find that with "Detailing World", there`s probably TOO much information to hand, and you end up getting bamboozled with it all...............

So, as I said mate; you`ll probably get pestered here and there........
      09-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #16
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post
Flaming hell Mark, you certainly sound like a man of experience, with 26 years behind you.

So, as I said mate; you`ll probably get pestered here and there........
Thanks Encee - I don't mind - will do my best and am always happy to talk cars.

I should stress (being totally honest) that I don't class myself as an expert on paint - more a very keen enthusiast. The company I run nowadays is not in the motor trade but I was in the trade when I was younger. My main qualifications are in vehicle engineering and I've spent the past 26 years of my life indulging that passion, including car tuning, detailing, hot rods, drag racing and sports cars for private enjoyment and showing.

I don't have so much time with work commitments to enjoy it these day but would be happy to share what I've learned with anyone who is interested and if I don't genuinely know the answer, I'll defer to an expert.

BTW: Know what you mean about Detailing World - the conversation sometimes does get overly-technical.

Sorry if this is off topic.

HTH

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:50 AM   #17
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
E92Fan, any detailers near me you could recommend?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #18
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
Yes matey, sent PM...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #19
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
I know one too, but I think its the same as E92's recco......he does a lot of work through the Lotus site......did my grey one before I picked it up.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:07 AM   #20
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
I know one too, but I think its the same as E92's recco......he does a lot of work through the Lotus site......did my grey one before I picked it up.
Exactly the same person

ps.. Shine On Detail
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #21
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Never used them myself but I have always heard good things about Parc Ferme: http://www.parcferme.co.uk/

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
NFS,

No idea where you're based, but I do this in my spare time and whilst I don't consider myself a pro by any means, if you want a machine polish and wax I'd gladly sort it out for you. This is the type of correction I achieve.........

Matt
Appreciate 0