E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How do you know if the oil cooler is working?

09-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
g2artist
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Question How do you know if the oil cooler is working?

Just curious, my oil temp fluctuates between 230 and 250 during normal easy going driving. I really haven't pushed her too hard yet. I've been wondering, the engine is really hot compared to other cars yet I reach inside to feel the oil cooler and there is absolutely no heat coming off of it. Its literally the same temp as the rest of the outside of the car. I used a IR gun to test the temp at the block of the cooler and it read 90 degrees. Does anyone know if you are supposed to feel at least some heat from hot oil passing through the cooler or is it cool by the time it gets there?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

You need to be above 240F for a while.. closer to 250. Open the hood at that time with the engine running and use your IR gun on each of the oil feeder hoses, near the plastic clamp halfway across. You should see a delta Temp between the two, indicating that the oil is going out to the cooler and getting cooled there and coming back.
Appreciate 0