E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > tapping engine noise, stealer replaces cylinderhead under CPO. What this means for me

09-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

tapping engine noise, stealer replaces cylinderhead under CPO. What this means for me

Hi all,

So on engine start, many times, my 330i sounds like a diesel/rocket engine. The sound persists for a good amount of time while driving and eventually wears off. This happens sporadically, but it is quite loud and embarrassing for a BMW.

So, I brought it to the dealer for that (as well as a LOAD of other issues possibly with the tranny). I get a call yesterday and the SA tells me that the car needs to stay till at least monday or tues as the Cylinder head is getting replaced.

2 year old car, with its head being replaced. Doesn't sound to good.

I'm worried that this is just the start to a series of issues that this car will have. Other issues that haven't even been looked at on the car are tranny noises, like a loud tap when putting it in P or D. And a whining noise while driving above 12mph.

So, i'm kind of worried as to the state of my car. Some background info. I purchased the car (really good deal) CPO'd from the stealer. It was a loaner car previous to that.

-mike
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
2006e904Me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Silver/Black

Ouch. I wouldn't touch a previous loaner with a pole. Check out this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169370

Well, at least you are covered to 6 years/100k miles. GL
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
gimp2x
v81 user
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

wow, someone actually bought a loaner.....with prior knowledge! thats amazing, you really can sell snow to an eskimo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
Hi all,

So on engine start, many times, my 330i sounds like a diesel/rocket engine. The sound persists for a good amount of time while driving and eventually wears off. This happens sporadically, but it is quite loud and embarrassing for a BMW.

So, I brought it to the dealer for that (as well as a LOAD of other issues possibly with the tranny). I get a call yesterday and the SA tells me that the car needs to stay till at least monday or tues as the Cylinder head is getting replaced.

2 year old car, with its head being replaced. Doesn't sound to good.

I'm worried that this is just the start to a series of issues that this car will have. Other issues that haven't even been looked at on the car are tranny noises, like a loud tap when putting it in P or D. And a whining noise while driving above 12mph.

So, i'm kind of worried as to the state of my car. Some background info. I purchased the car (really good deal) CPO'd from the stealer. It was a loaner car previous to that.

-mike
The cylinder head replacement is not new. There are several who have had this done and I am one inspite of having bought my car with 0.5 miles on the odo.

Check this out: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

It has been about 2 months and all is good for me and almost everyone who has had this done.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
e36
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006e904Me View Post
Ouch. I wouldn't touch a previous loaner with a pole. Check out this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169370

Well, at least you are covered to 6 years/100k miles. GL
lol thanks for the link.

Well, technically we didn't know it was a loaner till my mom was completely in love with the car and the very LAST paper was signed, which stated "you are purchasing a loaner vehicle". I tried explaining the consequences to my mom but she didn't care, she said its CPO'd, why should it matter.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 View Post
I tried explaining the consequences to my mom but she didn't care, she said its CPO'd, why should it matter.
If your mom is not planning to keep the car past the 100k extended warranty period, it absolutely doesn't matter
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
My ticking recently came on since the weather has gotten colder. The dealer is like 35 minutes away and by the time I get there the noise is gone. It does this all the time during the cold weather. My car is garaged all the time. Any suggestions?
      09-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
e36
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp0man View Post
My ticking recently came on since the weather has gotten colder. The dealer is like 35 minutes away and by the time I get there the noise is gone. It does this all the time during the cold weather. My car is garaged all the time. Any suggestions?
replace your cylinder head. (j/k)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

This was an issue with a number of the E90 330's. Mine had the issue as well about 6 months after I picked it up, and they had to replace the camshaft and lifters. Ever since the repair (which they had initiated a PUMA case) there has been no issues at all - a little over 2 years now. It was very loud and could be heard both inside and outside when running.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
2003 E46 325i 5MT: Retired - The beginning of my BMW obsession!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post
This was an issue with a number of the E90 330's. Mine had the issue as well about 6 months after I picked it up, and they had to replace the camshaft and lifters. Ever since the repair (which they had initiated a PUMA case) there has been no issues at all - a little over 2 years now. It was very loud and could be heard both inside and outside when running.
Wow.....will see how mine turns out. I have around 5K miles on mine and begin to notices this issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCold View Post
Wow.....will see how mine turns out. I have around 5K miles on mine and begin to notices this issues.
If I remember correctly, that's about the same mileage I had on mine when it started. The biggest down side for me was that they had to get the camshaft from Germany so they had my car for about 2 weeks. I didn't complain too much though. They gave me a new 335 to drive in the interim. This was when they just came out, so it was fun being one of the first people to drive around in it.

2006 E90 330i 6MT: TiAg|Black Leather|Poplar Trim|Premium Package|Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
e36
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, almost a week later and don't have a car yet! Entire head is being replaced under CPO. I hope this fixes the issue and doesn't bring me many other consequences.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
StoneCold
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If I remember correctly, that's about the same mileage I had on mine when it started. The biggest down side for me was that they had to get the camshaft from Germany so they had my car for about 2 weeks. I didn't complain too much though. They gave me a new 335 to drive in the interim. This was when they just came out, so it was fun being one of the first people to drive around in it.

It seems like this maybe the case of mine vehicle then. I have already booked a schedule with them of this coming month due to a loaner available. Also, recorded a ticking noise to play it for them when the vehicle comes in for service.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCold View Post
It seems like this maybe the case of mine vehicle then. I have already booked a schedule with them of this coming month due to a loaner available. Also, recorded a ticking noise to play it for them when the vehicle comes in for service.
Fortunately, I did not see any power loss after the engine surgery. And (knock on light poplar veneer wood) it has never come back. I remember them saying at the time that mine was one of the louder examples they experienced. Hopefully yours will come out of all this the same.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Yep, We've had the new cylinder head done about 2 months ago and everything is good now. This is the fix that took BMW 2+ years to figure out. Our ticking started at 4K miles and the new head was put in at 18K and several trips to the dealer to replicate the sound. Ticking began in colder weather and relatively short trips, but at around 15K or so, it started ticking in warm/cold weather, short/long trips, etc. etc. It progressively got worse.

The loaner car I got when the head was replaced was an '08 328i and when I started that car, it had the same tick. Thought about running in and telling them that the car was doing the same thing as my car, but decided not too since it would give them a chance to tell me that it was normal. The ticking will effect cars built in '06, '07, and part of '08.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
StoneCold
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Fortunately, I did not see any power loss after the engine surgery. And (knock on light poplar veneer wood) it has never come back. I remember them saying at the time that mine was one of the louder examples they experienced. Hopefully yours will come out of all this the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicks28 View Post
Yep, We've had the new cylinder head done about 2 months ago and everything is good now. This is the fix that took BMW 2+ years to figure out. Our ticking started at 4K miles and the new head was put in at 18K and several trips to the dealer to replicate the sound. Ticking began in colder weather and relatively short trips, but at around 15K or so, it started ticking in warm/cold weather, short/long trips, etc. etc. It progressively got worse.

The loaner car I got when the head was replaced was an '08 328i and when I started that car, it had the same tick. Thought about running in and telling them that the car was doing the same thing as my car, but decided not too since it would give them a chance to tell me that it was normal. The ticking will effect cars built in '06, '07, and part of '08.

Very positive feedback here and I'm looking forward to leave the vehicle overnight for them, so that they will start early in the morning and be able to verify the problem. I'm hoping that the problem will happen again at their shop because this problem seems to be came and gone and back again. The good new is that I recorded the audio ticking noises from it.

By reading your all of the inputs. The surgery maybe done to it and it could be a cylinder head, camshaft or lifts........only 5k miles on it....and holy....bimmer.....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #17
e36
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi everyone,

Got my car back. Cylinder head was replaced under CPO. Noise has vanished, I hope that it stays that way.

Report claims that "insufficient oil pressure to the lifters in the cylinder head during warm up" is causing the tap sound.

My next issue on the list is that stupid sticky brake issue!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #18
Roowah
Captain
United_States
Rep

Glad the noise has vanished. Hope that's the last time it happens.

Appreciate 0