E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealerships...

05-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
GmclNH
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328xi E92

Semi bricked FRM

So this past weekend I dropped my 08 328xi off at my local dealer that i don't usually deal with. But if I can get free work done why not. They had to diagnose the leak that I brought it in for before proceeding with the sulev warranty. Got a new valve cover and gasket and ignition coils. Anyway, upon the diagnostic they told me the windows were "inop". Not sure why the tech can't just say inoperable but ok. I thought this was weird as they were working fine when i dropped the car off. Picked the car up in a few days, (Tuesday night) everything seems good. Car runs smoother, starts up louder, and doesn't rough idle. I pulled out of the dealership and rolled my windows down. About 30 minutes later on my drive home I go to put them up. Nothing. No response to switches whatsoever. I had to get on the highway and had wide open windows so I pulled over before getting on. Turn the car off with key still in it, windows go up fine. What the hell? Get home, try to put them down again, nothing. They probably work about one in every 5 ish times, but it's all random. They could work when the accessories are on, when the whole car is on, or when I took the key out but was still in the car. I then noticed that I had new icons on my dash. New service icons, light and lock icons, different settings. My time and date were reset. Obviously the car got updated. And when my auto lights are on, the speedo lights would spaz out and so would the red hazard button light. So now I'm pissed. I call the tech I had been dealing with and he doesn't answer. So I send a text saying all the shit that's wrong with it Tuesday night, then I ask if they screwed with the fuses or battery or something. He says "no we didn't do anything that would do that" on Wednesday. I called the dealer to talk with someone in service on Thursday to document the problem and maybe get it looked at for free? and I waited so long that I got redirected to the main desk and she asked me where to direct my call again. So I called again today, Friday, and finally spoke with someone. He told me they didn't do anything that would affect that stuff, and when they plug it in BMW automatically sends updates to it. But he told me nothing was wrong. I kept going with stuff that was going wrong and finally he said "ok I will give your number to the service manager. That much shouldn't be happening." Long story short this prick calls me and says they didn't do anything to the interior of the car. I told him they updated the car and he says "no we didn't" and then he says some bullshit about how "electronics can fail without warning, you could be watching tv and it could stop working." What.??? Then he says it's the "cabin something module" and I say "the footwell control module?" And he says "yes that thing". Basically tells me I'm shit out of luck. So long story short, could their update have screwed with the electronics or did my FRM just coincidentally go at the same time? It's just weird to me that the windows would be the only thing to go. Sunroof works fine, headlights work fine. Any help would be appreciated. I can't stand dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

FWIW, when I brought my car to the dealer to do the airbag recall, I requested that they update all the modules on the car. They gave me a paper to sign saying if any of the modules bricked or messed up during the update they were not responsible. If they did do an update there is a possibility something went wrong.
Appreciate 1
GmclNH40.50
      05-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Nap
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

I took my 08 328i to the dealer last summer for the blower motor wiring recall. I asked if they could snap the bottom of the driver door panel back on too because it was loose and I couldn't get it to snap on. They charged me almost $50 to snap one clip back in. While they were putting in a new blower motor and new wiring they cut the passenger footwell light wire. I have no passenger footwell light now and I don't have the wire that connects to it either. I didn't find out until later on, so I figure there is no point in calling them because I know they aren't going to fix it for free. I hate the stealer and I hope you find out what's wrong with your car.
Appreciate 1
GmclNH40.50
      05-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
Luka117
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 2012

FRM module can brick when you simple just clear the faults in ISTA.
If they upgrade the software they probably brick your module.

Ask them to provide you report from ISTA+ and ISTA P after they connect your car. Then you will see what exactly they do.
Those programs creates report every time when you start the session.

Module can be recovered without changing to new one but not in the bmw dealership
Appreciate 1
GmclNH40.50
      05-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
GmclNH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka117 View Post

Ask them to provide you report from ISTA+ and ISTA P after they connect your car. Then you will see what exactly they do.

Module can be recovered without changing to new one but not in the bmw dealership
This is good to know, thank you. Just left a nice voicemail asking for the report. The service manager is an idiot and tells me they didn't update it after his tech tells me they did. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
GmclNH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka117 View Post

After asking for the report on Friday, I just talked to the shop foreman on the phone, and he told me that there is no report of my car being hooked up at all. What the hell..? I asked him so what do you do with this multi thousand dollar equipment if you don't use it on the cars... he told me nothing warrantied the car to be plugged into the computer. So here I go to deal with my semi bricked FRM. Dealerships suck
Appreciate 0