E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > '07 E90 - 4x4 ABS! - Error Codes

05-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

'07 E90 - 4x4 ABS! - Error Codes

I've had these 4x4 abs, break and dsc lights on my dash ever since my battery died. While the car still drives fine its really annoying. I programmed the new battery but it never fixed the 4x4 issue, I did the wheel lock to lock and that did nothing either. I looked at the transfer case but it didn't look worn.

I just read the error codes via inpa and got a slew of codes on the first scan. After I cleared them and started my car, there was a slight rough idle and then the same lights came back on, they usually come on immediately. I drove around for a bit and re-scanned the errors and got only a couple. I'm at a complete loss right now, what could this issue be? is my TC busted? Wheel speed sensors? Is the car busted itself? lol I want to get a general sense of the issue before thinking about the stealership.

(First 2 pictures are intial scan, Last picture is scan after clearing and short drive)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #2
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

While I can't help with the specific issue, I just had a similar problem when I replaced the battery in my 2011 e90, but it was the FRM module. The left/right window switches were reversed. I ended up having to perform a factory reset of the module via INPA (factory reset mode, not feature coding mode) and then everything was fine.

I'm not sure what exact module it is, but since it started when you replaced the battery I would see if a module reset helps.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherJJJFoul96 View Post
I've had these 4x4 abs, break and dsc lights on my dash ever since my battery died... I did the wheel lock to lock and that did nothing either. I looked at the transfer case but it didn't look worn. [If you saw the Oil Wear Fault (578E) in the EGS, THAT is Transmission Oil/Fluid Wear -- Old Fluid needs changing, and is NOT related to the 3 warning lights that are related to the DSC/DXC Module on your 328xi]
I just read the error codes via inpa [good to see you have INPA installed & working (somewhat -- see below ;-)]... First 2 pictures are intial scan, Last picture is scan after clearing and short drive [17 minutes later ]...
I presume that both the INPA Screens you attached were "Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory, ALL Modules". The first thing I note is that your FIRST screen, showing Faults as of 10:17 AM today ONLY shows 13 Modules, with NO Radio, Sound System, etc. Modules (Most vehicles in US have ~ 20 different Modules in that list. Your 2nd screen shows only 9 Modules. The DSC/DXC is NO LONGER shown, which should be our focal point. The MRS, FZD & FRM Modules are NOT shown either. As you can see, the list should contain ALL modules, whether they have current faults or NOT.

So first thing is to try to determine WHY your INPA installation is NOT reading data related to ALL Modules in your vehicle. Did you open Windows Control Panel, with the K+DCAN cable attached to your computer's USB port (but NOT to the Vehicle OBD II Socket), and check COM Port 1, Latency 1 settings? If NOT, make sure BOTH of those settings are selected, and if unsure how to do that, see the 1st paragraph in the attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf.

After selecting those settings, connect to vehicle and, once again, open "Functional Jobs" as before, but this time, select "F2 Identification" at the Functional Jobs Menu. You should NOW see a List of ALL Modules in your vehicle. SAVE that screen (procedure in Tutorial), so you know how many modules are actually in your vehicle, AND the SGBD or "Variant" of each module, so you can connect to that separate module for detailed information and Diagnostics.

If you don't get nearly 20 Modules listed on the screen ("Quantity" or Number of Modules found is in 5th line of screen header), Press F2 again to reload the script. If there are "Gremlins" in the installation, pressing the Function key again can CHANGE the data loaded or displayed.

NEXT: try selecting F4 Fault/Error Memory again at the "Functional Jobs" Main Menu, and see how MANY Modules are shown NOW. SAVE that Screen/ Screens and attach here and we can address Next Steps.

As stated in the Tutorial, Functional Jobs is only the "Entry Point" for getting started, and the "Good Stuff"/ Details starts to happen when you connect to a specific Module (such as the DME or DSC/DXC)

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 91 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

With the ignition off - Disconnect the connector to the 4x4 module then reconnect.

Then ignition on and clear the fault.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I presume that both the INPA Screens you attached were "Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory, ALL Modules". The first thing I note is that your FIRST screen, showing Faults as of 10:17 AM today ONLY shows 13 Modules, with NO Radio, Sound System, etc. Modules (Most vehicles in US have ~ 20 different Modules in that list. Your 2nd screen shows only 9 Modules. The DSC/DXC is NO LONGER shown, which should be our focal point. The MRS, FZD & FRM Modules are NOT shown either. As you can see, the list should contain ALL modules, whether they have current faults or NOT.

So first thing is to try to determine WHY your INPA installation is NOT reading data related to ALL Modules in your vehicle. Did you open Windows Control Panel, with the K+DCAN cable attached to your computer's USB port (but NOT to the Vehicle OBD II Socket), and check COM Port 1, Latency 1 settings? If NOT, make sure BOTH of those settings are selected, and if unsure how to do that, see the 1st paragraph in the attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf.

After selecting those settings, connect to vehicle and, once again, open "Functional Jobs" as before, but this time, select "F2 Identification" at the Functional Jobs Menu. You should NOW see a List of ALL Modules in your vehicle. SAVE that screen (procedure in Tutorial), so you know how many modules are actually in your vehicle, AND the SGBD or "Variant" of each module, so you can connect to that separate module for detailed information and Diagnostics.

If you don't get nearly 20 Modules listed on the screen ("Quantity" or Number of Modules found is in 5th line of screen header), Press F2 again to reload the script. If there are "Gremlins" in the installation, pressing the Function key again can CHANGE the data loaded or displayed.

NEXT: try selecting F4 Fault/Error Memory again at the "Functional Jobs" Main Menu, and see how MANY Modules are shown NOW. SAVE that Screen/ Screens and attach here and we can address Next Steps.

As stated in the Tutorial, Functional Jobs is only the "Entry Point" for getting started, and the "Good Stuff"/ Details starts to happen when you connect to a specific Module (such as the DME or DSC/DXC)

George

I'm not really sure why I'm only getting 13. My latency was on 16 but changing it to 1 didn't change much. I'm still getting 13 modules. I did replace my headunit with a eonon touchscreen unit, but I'm not sure if that would cause a loss of modules.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not really sure why I'm only getting 13. My latency was on 16 but changing it to 1 didn't change much. [It DID cause the four missing Modules to reappear in F4 Error Memory, and DSC/DXC is NOW showing NO Faults] I'm still getting 13 modules. [That MAY be all you have if you have aftermarket radio setup.] I did replace my headunit with a eonon touchscreen unit, but I'm not sure if that would cause a loss of modules.
Installation of aftermarket radio is probably responsible for lack of Radio & Gateway module function, but that has NOTHING to do with other modules AFAIK. Issue solved regarding "lack of Modules appearing in "Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory"

Now we need to focus on WHY you have fault code "53A0" in VGSG90 Transfer Case Module, how to READ Definition and Details of that Fault, and then CLEAR that Fault. Your 29 DSC/DXC90 Fault have gone away, so IF the 3 warning lights still appear on Instrument Cluster, Transfer Case Module remains the issue that is causing that.

BMW Fault Code Lookup shows this definition for 53A0:
53A0 | VTG: No coding or faulty coding | vgsg90

I must admit THAT definition does NOT make sense to me. Voltage issues, or disruption in voltage supply to a module can "confuse" the electronics, requiring reset of "Adaptations" or Re-Initialization of some sort (like the Lock-to-Lock Steering Wheel movement to clear SAS Fault from Voltage interruption). CODING or option selection which is saved in NON-volatile memory should NOT be affected by interruption of voltage supply, so I QUESTION that definition.

I'm curious, slooow, & pedantic (repetitious too ;-) so I would want to actually SEE the DEFINITION of that code INPA provides when you connect to the VGSG Module, as well as any Fault Details available, BEFORE I delete the code.

Plan A:
1) If you are in "Get 'er DONE Mode", just go back to Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory Screen
2) At Error Memory (Fehlerspeicher) Main Menu, select F2 Clear Error/Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Loschen); BE AWARE: this clears ALL Faults in all Modules, but in your case that's NOT so consequential, as you have very few, and the Transmission Oil Wear Fault will NOT clear in all likelihood.
3) If a Fault returns you can then go to the particular module it is saved in and get the details.

Plan B: (Curious George's Plan to learn about "53A0")

A) At INPA Startup Screen, after selecting E90, Scroll Down in Left Listbox to "Transmission"
B) Press Tab key to navigate to RIGHT ListBox; scroll down to "Gearbox / DXC VGSG" & press Enter
C) VGSG Main Menu should NOW appear; select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) and then F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen)
D) Screen with Fault Code, Code DEFINITION & Fault Details should now appear. Save that screen as a jpg file as described in the "Tutorial" pdf provided earlier, and attach the pdf here so we can ALL learn something.
E) Don't let the German scare you. We'll help, & Proper Translation, using Google Translate will yield BETTER interpretation of the Fault Code information than relying on a translation made by unknown committee.

INPA ScreenPrint SavedAs a JPG file is easier to read, and can be used univerally to save ANY INPA screen. The Text files you have attached so far are harder to read as columns (as in F2 Identification) are lost, and will NOT show bar graphs and other more advanced screens, so for YOUR benefit & OURS, might as well do the JPG route.

1st Goal: Fix this issue & get Warning Lights OFF
2nd Goal: Learn how to use INPA along the way

George
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep

Quote:
Installation of aftermarket radio is probably responsible for lack of Radio & Gateway module function, but that has NOTHING to do with other modules AFAIK. Issue solved regarding "lack of Modules appearing in "Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory"

Now we need to focus on WHY you have fault code "53A0" in VGSG90 Transfer Case Module, how to READ Definition and Details of that Fault, and then CLEAR that Fault. Your 29 DSC/DXC90 Fault have gone away, so IF the 3 warning lights still appear on Instrument Cluster, Transfer Case Module remains the issue that is causing that.

BMW Fault Code Lookup shows this definition for 53A0:
53A0 | VTG: No coding or faulty coding | vgsg90

I must admit THAT definition does NOT make sense to me. Voltage issues, or disruption in voltage supply to a module can "confuse" the electronics, requiring reset of "Adaptations" or Re-Initialization of some sort (like the Lock-to-Lock Steering Wheel movement to clear SAS Fault from Voltage interruption). CODING or option selection which is saved in NON-volatile memory should NOT be affected by interruption of voltage supply, so I QUESTION that definition.

I'm curious, slooow, & pedantic (repetitious too ;-) so I would want to actually SEE the DEFINITION of that code INPA provides when you connect to the VGSG Module, as well as any Fault Details available, BEFORE I delete the code.

Plan A:
1) If you are in "Get 'er DONE Mode", just go back to Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory Screen
2) At Error Memory (Fehlerspeicher) Main Menu, select F2 Clear Error/Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Loschen); BE AWARE: this clears ALL Faults in all Modules, but in your case that's NOT so consequential, as you have very few, and the Transmission Oil Wear Fault will NOT clear in all likelihood.
3) If a Fault returns you can then go to the particular module it is saved in and get the details.

Plan B: (Curious George's Plan to learn about "53A0")

A) At INPA Startup Screen, after selecting E90, Scroll Down in Left Listbox to "Transmission"
B) Press Tab key to navigate to RIGHT ListBox; scroll down to "Gearbox / DXC VGSG" & press Enter
C) VGSG Main Menu should NOW appear; select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) and then F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen)
D) Screen with Fault Code, Code DEFINITION & Fault Details should now appear. Save that screen as a jpg file as described in the "Tutorial" pdf provided earlier, and attach the pdf here so we can ALL learn something.
E) Don't let the German scare you. We'll help, & Proper Translation, using Google Translate will yield BETTER interpretation of the Fault Code information than relying on a translation made by unknown committee.

INPA ScreenPrint SavedAs a JPG file is easier to read, and can be used univerally to save ANY INPA screen. The Text files you have attached so far are harder to read as columns (as in F2 Identification) are lost, and will NOT show bar graphs and other more advanced screens, so for YOUR benefit & OURS, might as well do the JPG route.

1st Goal: Fix this issue & get Warning Lights OFF
2nd Goal: Learn how to use INPA along the way

George

Lol thank you for your patience! I'm horrible at this.. I've cleared the codes a couple times now and those keep coming back. Lights are still there, but they take longer to pop up after clearing. So it looks like the codes saying "Control unit not coded or coding is incorrect"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I'm horrible at this..[ACTUALLY, you're doing everything quite well at this point. NICE Screens you've attached! ] I've cleared the codes a couple times now and those keep coming back. Lights are still there, but they take longer to pop up after clearing. So it looks like the codes saying "Control unit not coded or coding is incorrect"
That appears to be the correct translation. I'll admit I do NOT understand what "coding" it is talking about. If you will take the time to view, save & attach jpg's of the FIVE (5) INPA screens in F5 Status, we can ALL probably learn something about the VGSG/ Transfer Case Module, and hopefully clear existing adaptations, and prevent recurrence of Fault Code or Warning Lights.

I attach those 5 VGSG F5 Status screens which I just saved today, with engine running, NO Fault Codes, and NO Dash Warning Lights. So if YOUR 5 screens show something different, THAT is a clue. The RED text in my attachments is MY translation/interpretation of the German terminology.

DON'T worry about causing any issues with a module by simply reading data, either things like fault codes saved in Fault Memory, or Live Data which you are reading when using "F5 Status". You are NOT changing any Programming of the Module, and you are NOT changing any of the Settings (Options or Coding) from that previously selected. After we see YOUR 5 screens and compare them to mine, we can talk about using F6 Activations/ Steuern to delete existing "Adaptations" and hopefully the fault code as well.

Since you have shown that you can use PrtSc, and Paint/Photo Editor to save INPA screens as a jpg file, and you have connected to the VGSG Module and saved F4 Error Memory, all you need to do:
1) Connect to VGSG Module (Transfer Case Control Module) and Select "F5 Status"
2) A Menu should now appear with 5 different function key selections, F1 through F5 (ignore higher F-keys)
3) Pressing F1 at the Menu page gives you "Clutch" screen, F2 gives "Coding" screen, etc.
4) Save each & post here

BTW, to "reduce" the jpg ScreenPrints so they fit on the Forum Page without ruining the margins, in "Paint", simply select "Resize" and change 100% to 50%, making sure the "Checkbox" for "Maintain aspect ratio" is checked, and save. You may want to keep a 100%, higher resolution version of the screen for your own use (easier viewing on your own computer).

We'll ALL (at least those playing at home ;-) learn something.

George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 05-18-2020 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep

Quote:
That appears to be the correct translation. I'll admit I do NOT understand what "coding" it is talking about. If you will take the time to view, save & attach jpg's of the FIVE (5) INPA screens in F5 Status, we can ALL probably learn something about the VGSG/ Transfer Case Module, and hopefully clear existing adaptations, and prevent recurrence of Fault Code or Warning Lights.

I attach those 5 VGSG F5 Status screens which I just saved today, with engine running, NO Fault Codes, and NO Dash Warning Lights. So if YOUR 5 screens show something different, THAT is a clue. The RED text in my attachments is MY translation/interpretation of the German terminology.

DON'T worry about causing any issues with a module by simply reading data, either things like fault codes saved in Fault Memory, or Live Data which you are reading when using "F5 Status". You are NOT changing any Programming of the Module, and you are NOT changing any of the Settings (Options or Coding) from that previously selected. After we see YOUR 5 screens and compare them to mine, we can talk about using F6 Activations/ Steuern to delete existing "Adaptations" and hopefully the fault code as well.

Since you have shown that you can use PrtSc, and Paint/Photo Editor to save INPA screens as a jpg file, and you have connected to the VGSG Module and saved F4 Error Memory, all you need to do:
1) Connect to VGSG Module (Transfer Case Control Module) and Select "F5 Status"
2) A Menu should now appear with 5 different function key selections, F1 through F5 (ignore higher F-keys)
3) Pressing F1 at the Menu page gives you "Clutch" screen, F2 gives "Coding" screen, etc.
4) Save each & post here

BTW, to "reduce" the jpg ScreenPrints so they fit on the Forum Page without ruining the margins, in "Paint", simply select "Resize" and change 100% to 50%, making sure the "Checkbox" for "Maintain aspect ratio" is checked, and save. You may want to keep a 100%, higher resolution version of the screen for your own use (easier viewing on your own computer).

We'll ALL (at least those playing at home ;-) learn something.

George

Ahh I was really worried I'd somehow brick my car with INPA. I'm definitely learning something! Thanks for the help, seriously! I hope me having this older version of INPA isn't going to be an issue..

Upon a little curiosity, I noticed in the VGSG error memory, it states at the bottom "german gibberish = implausible signal or value. Test conditions not yet met. Error currently exists and already saved. The fault would not cause a warning lamp to light up". So that made me wonder and I went into the Dynamic Stability Control_DXC 90, I'm remembering this module off the top of my head, and read that error code. And at the bottom, it states "No suitable error symptom ... A fault would cause a warning lamp to light up" and the error 5F39 translates to "Transfer case ECU: VG clutch defective - clutch unknown." While this really confuses the F out of me, could this coding issue be related to this clutch issue? I'm very, very lost.

P.S. My apologies if the pictures are formatted wonky.
Attached Images

Last edited by AnotherJJJFoul96; 05-18-2020 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Format images
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... I went into the Dynamic Stability Control_DXC 90, I'm remembering this module off the top of my head, and read that error code. And at the bottom, it states "No suitable error symptom ... A fault would cause a warning lamp to light up" and the error 5F39 translates to "Transfer case ECU: VG clutch defective - clutch [Position] unknown."
I would recommend using VGSG > F6 Activations/Steuern > F1, and also F2 & F3, to Clear/Reset that module, and I believe you can then CLEAR the VGSG & DSC/DXC Fault Codes and NOT have them return. If that does NOT work to turn off Warning Lights and prevent return of Fault Codes, it should NOT create any new issues or damage anything. I have done that after changing my Transfer Case Fluid, and it prevented return of Fluid Wear Error, and had NO negative effects on anything. I'll provide steps for that if you want to try it. You could always check with a BMW Indy shop & get their advice. Why I recommend that follows.

Keep in mind THAT is the "29 DSC / DXC Module" and NOT "19 VGSG90". My interpretation of that code is the Clutch POSITION is/WAS NOT being reported to the DSC / DXC Module by the Transfer Case Module (19 VGSG90). If we can clear the faults in the VGSG Module, that DSC/DXC Fault will probably clear & NOT return (IF Battery failure & Power Supply Interruption is what caused this issue in the first place ;-)

Also note the "Details" at the bottom of the Fault Memory page -- the word "nicht"/ NOT changes everything:
"Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden" = Fault NOT currently present, which means that fault was LAST saved in DSC/DXC Memory at 253080 km, and was NOT present when you read Fault codes yesterday evening.

If you compare YOUR 5 VGSG Status screens to mine, you will see that ALL of them are different. Some of that is due to the fact that you were displaying the information with ignition ON but Engine OFF (as can be derived by looking at your 3rd screen "clampvoltage" (Terminal Voltage), which shows Terminal 15 (Ignition) on (ein) but battery voltage instead of higher system voltage (14V+) when engine is running & Alternator Charging. Some of the differences between my screens and yours are attributable to engine off in your case, but OTHERS as identified below are NOT (you can repeat the tests with engine running to confirm).

I. F1 Clutch Status Information vs. "information gearbox":
* Your screen shows "0 Kein Fehler erkannt" or No Error Detected, same as mine
* Your screen shows Status as "1 Initialization"; mine shows "Clutch ready for operation"

II. F2 Coding Status:
* Your screen shows NOT Coded ("nicht codiert"); my screen shows "codiert" = Coded
* WHAT was that Fault Code Definition again? 53A0 = "Control Unit NOT Coded"

III. Terminal Voltage/clampvoltage:
* Your screen shows ignition on as does mine, but mine shows 14+V on BOTH terminal 30 & 30G due to motor running. Nothing pertinent here.

IV. Classification Memory:
* Your screen shows "6 Klasse G" for all 3, and mine shows "3 Klasse D"
* NOT sure what this is all about; perhaps due to motor running in mine? Perhaps due to NOT codes or some other variable? You might view screen with motor running and see if status changes. I'm sure the "3D vs 6G" means something to someone in Munich, but I don't have the cheat sheet.

V. Calibration Status:
* Yours ISN'T / Mine IS (Calibrated that is ;-)

So HOW do you get your VGSG (Transfer Case Module) (1) Ready for Operation, (2) Coded, AND (3) Calibrated?

ANYONE reading this who has actually DONE that with INPA, ISTA, etc.?

The ONLY experience I have with something similar is that my Transfer Case had the "54C6" Fault Code for Fluid Wear, and after fluid drain & refill, I could NOT Clear that Code. I performed ALL THREE (3) F6 steps as shown in the attached screens, and cleared the code, and it has NOT returned. NO negative effects or performance issues. If I had your situation, I would try that (3 F6 Functions in INPA > VGSG > F6 Steuern).

All you are doing is basically Clearing, Resetting, or Initializing "Adaptations" or retained memory related to prior operation, and allowing the Module to "Start Over". In some instances that may cause different operation of the component controlled by that module UNTIL the vehicle is operated for a bit to "Learn" or Adapt to your driving style, but in my case, I noticed NO difference immediately after clearing all 3.

The FIRST screen attached shows the English Translation of ALL THREE Functions & what appears when F1 Key is pressed:
1) F1 Clear HO Integrators: "Successful" Dialog box appears confirming completion;
2) F2 Reset Gearbox Resistance Class: "Reset Successful" dialog confirms completion;
3) F3 Clear Calibration Memory: "Deletion Successful" dialog confirms completion.

BMW apparently didn't (try to) do a very good job of explaining "coding" the Transfer Case Module. The Chapter on the Transfer Case is ONLY 5 pages, which deal with mechanical issues ONLY, except for this last sentence:
- Use BMW diagnostic tool to carry out "Repair'' service function and
complete transfer case programing / coding.
Neither Bentley NOR TIS (both otherwise excellent repair/reference manuals) EVER describe how to do anything in INPA that I have seen. I suppose as far as BMW is concerned, NONE of us is supposed to have INPA anyway, so that means we have to make the best "educated guess" we can about how to use it. We have "Factory-level Software" WITHOUT the "Factory Manual".

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #11
Starboy_
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI

You know I had a similar problem with my 06 E91. Was cleaning my car out and my cousin asked me to go get us lunch. I went to get lunch and after eating I went to finish my cleaning my car out. I heard a ticking noise and realized it was an LED fuse that was lit up because the fuse was blown. After getting a jump box and starting my car, the BRAKE light was lit up Yellow, the ABS light was lit up Red, and the traction control triangle was lit up Red as well. Finally had it checked out and they said that the rear brakes caused all that to come on. Said that the pads were less than 40%. Strange thing is I had replaced front and rear pads and sensors about four months prior and I was under the assumption that the front brakes usually needed changing twice before the rear brakes needed to be changed out. After having both sets changed out yet again and replacing the sensors again I had no luck. They couldn't get my lights to go off which caused me to lose traction control, ABS, cruise control, and my 4x4 notification to come up too. I haven't had luck with any general mechanics and I too don't really want to turn to the dealership. If anyone knows someone in East TN that could help I would appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #12
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep

Quote:
Neither Bentley NOR TIS (both otherwise excellent repair/reference manuals) EVER describe how to do anything in INPA that I have seen. I suppose as far as BMW is concerned, NONE of us is supposed to have INPA anyway, so that means we have to make the best "educated guess" we can about how to use it. We have "Factory-level Software" WITHOUT the "Factory Manual".

George

Thanks for response! I was pretty disappointed to find I don't even have an activate in my VGSG, there is just nothing for F6. I tried the other 2 options in transmission, but neither worked. I thought it was my program, so I downloaded another INPA, but it still has no activation. While the new program seems to be in half English, I'm not sure if the translations are any different/ of any more help.

I did notice differences in the reading of the VGSG when the cars engine is actually on (Pics attached)

I also noticed there was an active within the DXC_90 module, I was quite hesitant to mess around, there was a "Calibrate Longitude" which I pressed, there was an audible click coming from the brake/gas pedals, the lights on the dash flashed, a ! popped up for a second, then back to normal.

Sometimes after clearing codes, I'm noticing it takes a couple seconds to pop up when starting, I can feel a slight rumbling under the car, and the lights pop up. It is an automatic, but I have noticed shifting seems smoother, both up and down in automatic and triptonics, or whatever its called. I'm tempted to just buy the TC servo motor, but would really really hate to spend the money and it NOT fix the problem... lol with my luck I feel like would be the case.

I love BMW, but why does anything need to be this difficult

Welp, any thoughts on why I can't seem to find an activate in VGSG?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep

Quote:

George

So big update, you were definitely right with the VTG coding! I was getting ready to replace the actuator next weekend but had some really weird feeling it wouldn't fix my issue. Came across some german forum with someone with a similar issue, and someone laid out the steps to code the VTG in NCS Expert. Real simple and easy (I'll attach a picture with the steps that he said.).

After that, I went back into inpa, went to the DXC/DSC module and activated a clutch test. A different message popped up and all my lights went away! Restarted the car a couple times and went for a "short" drive again, still no lights, my DTC actually works and that error in the DSC memory is gone! I now have a VGSG oil wear but plan to change transmission and TF case fluid next weekend. Thanks again for your help! I learned a lot through this head ache lol. Hopefully no one else has this issue, but if they do, hopefully my mess can help them!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0