E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

05-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Harbor Freight Jack Stand Recall

Just a heads up guys...………………….

https://images.harborfreight.com/hft...1196_61197.pdf

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
JingChai
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I did see that yesterday. I have the 3 ton jacks that look exactly like the one in the recall, but they're a different item number. Wonder if mine are affected as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List

Due to aged tooling in one factory, the teeth on the defective stands are too shallow and the pawl barely engages as a result. A shift in weight, or an accidental kick to the release lever, could cause the stand to collapse.

If your jack stands aren't recalled but you're curious if they're affected, you can test them by applying paint to the tip of the pawl. Check the paint transfer on the teeth to see how far the pawl engages. This is a recalled HF stand:

What it should look like:

The design of ratcheting jack stands aren't inherently more dangerous if made properly, but I would get double locking stands from now on.

Appreciate 1
PhaseP1008.50
      05-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #4
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

^ Yep. This is why I got double-locking jack stands. I've always been nervous of the ratcheting mechanism failing.

Esco's are in my future, but they're pricey. Excellent stands though.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post

Due to aged tooling in one factory, the teeth on the defective stands are too shallow and the pawl barely engages as a result. A shift in weight, or an accidental kick to the release lever, could cause the stand to collapse.

If your jack stands aren't recalled but you're curious if they're affected, you can test them by applying paint to the tip of the pawl. Check the paint transfer on the teeth to see how far the pawl engages. This is a recalled HF stand:

What it should look like:

The design of ratcheting jack stands aren't inherently more dangerous if made properly, but I would get double locking stands from now on.

I guess W. Edwards Deming's statistical process control techniques never made it to the Chinese factory making those stands. Or maybe the translation to Chinese was bad.

Definitely not an ISO-certified manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

The HFT Link you posted says at the bottom-left: "In cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration". That implies that the NHTSA has been notified of a "potential defect" and has reached some agreement with HFT and/or the Mfr. to protect Consumer-purchasers of the product.

I go the NHTSA Home Page, and there is NO clear link or tab for Tool recall information, and it's NOT "Equipment". NHTSA is SUPPOSED to impose specific Conditions upon the Mfr or Supplier/Retailer IF the reported product defect comes under their jurisdiction. What about Tools used in automotive repair & maintenance? Are those under NHTSA purview? Perhaps NOT. At least I was not able to find any Tab or Link to the desired information, and any search of "HFT Jack Stand Recall" returned NADA, and a search of "Jack Stand" returned 8 hits, at least two of which were related to someone with first name/nickname "Jack", and NOTHING about Stands or "Recall".

WHAT's with NHTSA (or any other Federal Regulator Agency) these days? Has it basically said "Chao for Now" under the Trump/McConnell(Chao) "UNDER-sight" regime?

The HFT page appears to specifically relate to THREE HFT Item numbers, and NOT to earlier/other items of similar appearance made in China, such as Torin Txxxxx Item numbers. It appears we get better "Product Safety Information", Incident Reports, Testing Results, etc. from HFT or the Chinese, than we do from U.S. Government Regulatory Agencies.

ANYONE who has found something on ANY "US.gov" site that provides ANY information about this AT ALL, please enlighten us.

I'll end the rant WITHOUT discussing the Trump/Pence MUZZLING of the CDC and/or OSHA information on COVID-19 "Control the Spread" recommendations vs. "Requirements". That goes BEYOND the mere failure to obtain FACTS. It is HIDING FACTS already obtained, & prepared presentations of those facts by the knowledgeable folks at CDC/OSHA to, or for the protection of, the American People.

WAKE UP PEOPLE and DEMAND Facts as opposed to BS!!!

HFT recognizes a risk in use of the 3 Item# jack stands, sufficient to warn its customers to "STOP USING THESE JACK STANDS IMMEDIATELY" and to offer customers a "Gift Card" credit for purchase price. WHAT has NHTSA or any other Federal Agency done, and WHY are they not conspicuously publishing information on NHTSA or other applicable Agency Website?

George
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
The HFT Link you posted says at the bottom-left: "In cooperation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration". That implies that the NHTSA has been notified of a "potential defect" and has reached some agreement with HFT and/or the Mfr. to protect Consumer-purchasers of the product.

I go the NHTSA Home Page, and there is NO clear link or tab for Tool recall information, and it's NOT "Equipment". NHTSA is SUPPOSED to impose specific Conditions upon the Mfr or Supplier/Retailer IF the reported product defect comes under their jurisdiction. What about Tools used in automotive repair & maintenance? Are those under NHTSA purview? Perhaps NOT. At least I was not able to find any Tab or Link to the desired information, and any search of "HFT Jack Stand Recall" returned NADA, and a search of "Jack Stand" returned 8 hits, at least two of which were related to someone with first name/nickname "Jack", and NOTHING about Stands or "Recall".

WHAT's with NHTSA (or any other Federal Regulator Agency) these days? Has it basically said "Chao for Now" under the Trump/McConnell(Chao) "UNDER-sight" regime?

The HFT page appears to specifically relate to THREE HFT Item numbers, and NOT to earlier/other items of similar appearance made in China, such as Torin Txxxxx Item numbers. It appears we get better "Product Safety Information", Incident Reports, Testing Results, etc. from HFT or the Chinese, than we do from U.S. Government Regulatory Agencies.

ANYONE who has found something on ANY "US.gov" site that provides ANY information about this AT ALL, please enlighten us.

I'll end the rant WITHOUT discussing the Trump/Pence MUZZLING of the CDC and/or OSHA information on COVID-19 "Control the Spread" recommendations vs. "Requirements". That goes BEYOND the mere failure to obtain FACTS. It is HIDING FACTS already obtained, & prepared presentations of those facts by the knowledgeable folks at CDC/OSHA to, or for the protection of, the American People.

HFT recognizes a risk in use of the 3 Item# jack stands, sufficient to warn its customers to "STOP USING THESE JACK STANDS IMMEDIATELY" and to offer customers a "Gift Card" credit for purchase price. WHAT has NHTSA or any other Federal Agency done, and WHY are they not conspicuously publishing information on NHTSA or other applicable Agency Website?

George
I agree that the NHTSA recall information should be easier to find. Ironically, when you search "Pittsburg" under equipment recalls, no recalls are found:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment-deta...362749#recalls

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment-deta...362749#recalls

But I found the actual NHTSA reports on a blog site and attached them.

20E-027 - Pittsburg 3 ton jack stands (1,254,000 potentially involved, 5% estimated defective)
#61196 produced 2012-12-01 to 2019-12-31
#56371 produced 2020-01-01 to 2020-03-31
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E027-9959.PDF

20E-016 - Pittsburg 6 ton jack stands (454,000 potentially involved, 5% estimated defective)
#61197 produced 2013-06-13 to 2019-11-22
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E016-6561.PDF
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCLRPT-20E027-9959.PDF (211.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF (209.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by The Nightman; 05-27-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I agree that the NHTSA recall information should be easier to find. Ironically, when you search "Pittsburg[h]" under equipment recalls, no recalls are found:...
But I found the actual NHTSA reports on a blog site and attached them...
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E027-9959.PDF
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E016-6561.PDF
Thanks for that information. So some of the folks at NHTSA are still doing what they are supposed to be doing, but the MAIN Web Site provides NO way to access that information AFAIK. In fact, the "Documents" you link are pdf's accessed through the "https://static.nhtsa.gov/" (NOTE the "STATIC") Web Site.

I wonder if YOU, or ANYONE familiar with NHTSA Web Site(s) & procedures could suggest any way "US Common Folk" can find information of the type you link (pdf's) other than a Google Search?

When you try to get to any "Home Page" or directory associated with that Document, you get "Access Denied" cryptic response. This Web Page Group is OBVIOUSLY NOT meant for access by the general public. I have noticed that type of thing in trying to access "Documents" (such as RCRITS which provide agreed procedure for performing a recall such as Blower Motor Harness Recall). There USED to be an Index of recalls one could browse, and a "Documents" list associated with that recall.

You ALSO 3+ years ago could see a list of ALL recalls for a particular model of car, whether they had been performed or NOT, which is NO longer available. All you can see NOW is whether NHTSA believes there are any outstanding recalls on your vehicle, and you have NO way of checking to see HOW MANY recalls SHOULD have been performed, WHEN/IF they were performed, or WHAT they related to.

"NOT a Fan" (of DJT)
Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

George
I would expect the Consumer Product Safety Commission to have jurisdiction over tools such as Jack stands, but alias, the NHTSA does have a recall for the Jack stands.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/consumer-advisory-harbor-freight-jack-stands

5 second Google search.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
ian3924
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i 6MT

Appreciate 0