E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > OK! So how do I negotiate this?

09-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
dubiousONE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335

OK! So how do I negotiate this?

Ok.. I've already ordered my 2009 335 and it just finished production. It should be on its way any day now.

My CA has asked me if I want any accessories. He wants to charge me for floor mats, car alarm, and UV sunshade.

How do I get him to AT LEAST throw in the floor mats for free? (and also the UV sunshade if possible)

He is already reluctant to giving me anything for free since he thinks $500 over invoice is a killer ass deal already on the car.

Should I just order these items so that I have them at time of delivery and then try to negotiate for the free mats? And, if he doesn't budge to walk away then? I'll probably lose my $1000 deposit right? Nothing has been written in stone and I haven't even gotten a write up yet from them. All of this so far has been over the phone through verbal communication. But, the car IS on its way...

So... what should I do? Any BMW expertise would be appreciated, since this is my first time dealing with BMW and my first BMW purchase! What can I absolutely get for free??
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
gPiplay
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 双门轿

What a jerk, hes already making thousands in commission, and is reluctant to give out some floor mats that probably cost them $5 to manufacture!?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
you never loose ur deposit. State law generally prohibits that.

Its harder to negotiate when you order from the factory compared to grabing something off the floor.

I usually do the price talk first. Then they hit you with the "Add on talk" I generally can get the mats out of them. Anything after that is hit or miss on how well you did on the overall price.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
jimh103
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

you can get ur deposit back
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
rakone
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

get your deposit back & go to another dealer, there's a lot of dealers willing to sale in cali..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
dubiousONE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakone View Post
get your deposit back & go to another dealer, there's a lot of dealers willing to sale in cali..
But THAT means I gotta wait for another production! I'll never get my car LOL. They HAVE TO budge.. I mean, we're talking $100-$150 dollars here for free mats, over a $50K+ sale here.. right?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
sdslayer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 SL 500 - soon 09 335 cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousONE View Post
But THAT means I gotta wait for another production! I'll never get my car LOL. They HAVE TO budge.. I mean, we're talking $100-$150 dollars here for free mats, over a $50K+ sale here.. right?
your $500 over deal is pretty good. I would just buy the floormats, if you cant wait the extra month or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

play the waiting game, don't act too needy when buying the car. Just remember, they want to sell you the car more than you want to buy it. Ask him for your deposit back and he'll shit his pants and give you the floormats/sunshade for free. Tell him its unacceptable that you will be paying 50k+ for a car and that they charge you for floormats. Let me know where you went, I might be able to find you a better price

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
dubiousONE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
play the waiting game, don't act too needy when buying the car. Just remember, they want to sell you the car more than you want to buy it. Ask him for your deposit back and he'll shit his pants and give you the floormats/sunshade for free. Tell him its unacceptable that you will be paying 50k+ for a car and that they charge you for floormats. Let me know where you went, I might be able to find you a better price
I went to BMW of San Francisco.. I can play the waiting game.. I just hope no one else ordered the same car I did.. then I'll be SOL.. and someone will get my car haha..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
seanl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i 6-Speed

Clearly it's hard to negotiate for more stuff once the deal is done. The fact that a $40K+ car doesn't come with fecking' floor mats is beyond me---it's regoddamndiculous.

I bought from BMW SF and did negotiate the damn $130 floor mats into my deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

ask them to sell the mats at cost.
500$ above invoice is nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #12
dubiousONE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanl View Post
Clearly it's hard to negotiate for more stuff once the deal is done. The fact that a $40K+ car doesn't come with fecking' floor mats is beyond me---it's regoddamndiculous.

I bought from BMW SF and did negotiate the damn $130 floor mats into my deal.
Actually.. nothing is set in stone yet. I negotiated the $500 over invoice deal. But no official documents yet. Everything has been verbally communicated. So, if he tries to jack me.. I'll walk... that's why I'm trying to get the mats for free.. at time of delivery.. before I sign anything...

When did you buy your E92? Who was your CA at BMW SF?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
I went to BMW of San Francisco.. I can play the waiting game.. I just hope no one else ordered the same car I did.. then I'll be SOL.. and someone will get my car haha..
no one is going to buy the same car you did w/ the same packages. Just relax you'll get the car. If you have to pay for floor mats it will be ridiculous. Just let them know, you can sound smart and email him saying how ridiculous it is that you are paying that much and you need to purchase floor mats. Keep it classy and if they don't take action tell them to go ahead and cancel the order. Trust me, they'll do their best to keep that sale. Even if it's over invoice blah blah, I think that stuff is BS, the dealership/salesmen still makes commision out of selling you that car. So it's nothing but a gain to them. Everything thing they tell you on how they can't throw in this throw in that, they're just spitting mad game like fire. Trust me, they've sold so many cars they know how to deal with "throwing in free stuff"

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
seanl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually.. nothing is set in stone yet. I negotiated the $500 over invoice deal. But no official documents yet. Everything has been verbally communicated. So, if he tries to jack me.. I'll walk... that's why I'm trying to get the mats for free.. at time of delivery.. before I sign anything...

When did you buy your E92? Who was your CA at BMW SF?
I actually bought a manual trans E90, not an E92, on 8-8-08. My CA was Alek, he's the Internet Sales Mgr, great guy, was very easy to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #15
dubiousONE
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually bought a manual trans E90, not an E92, on 8-8-08. My CA was Alek, he's the Internet Sales Mgr, great guy, was very easy to deal with.
My CA is Alek! So maybe he'll be understanding enough to offer me the mats and uv sunscreen at no cost...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

I think paying for floormats is reasonable on a $500 over invoice deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gPiplay View Post
What a jerk, hes already making thousands in commission, and is reluctant to give out some floor mats that probably cost them $5 to manufacture!?
You have no idea what you're talking about.

OP- tell them that the floor mats make the deal. See what they say. If they say no, tell them to refund your deposit. I HIGHLY doubt they will pass on that.

Sal
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
BimmersService
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gPiplay View Post
He is not making thousands off of commission. To make a decent living, a CA has to sell 8 cars in one month, more if you live in a city with high expenses.

Floor mats do not cost $5 to purchase for a dealership either, in fact, you're way off. A good price is $96

$500 over invoice is a bargain deal and it's my personal opinion that you should pay for the accessories, especially after you find out (if you do) how much he actually makes off of this sale. It's a hell of a lot less than you think.

If you need a bargain on accessories, since this is your first BMW, I highly suggest you take a look at the Commercial forum and see what the vendors here have to offer.

Good luck with everything, I hope all works out well for you!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Mark14617
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I think you gave your word that you would buy the car at a certain price - on a sales order, contract, verbally, etc. - so you should stick with your original deal. If the mats really matter that much to you, you should be kicking yourself for not negotiating it in the first place instead of being mad at your CA.

A DEAL IS A DEAL!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark14617 View Post
I think you gave your word that you would buy the car at a certain price - on a sales order, contract, verbally, etc. - so you should stick with your original deal. If the mats really matter that much to you, you should be kicking yourself for not negotiating it in the first place instead of being mad at your CA.

A DEAL IS A DEAL!
Meh. I know where you're coming from, but given the predatory behavior of most car dealerships, I think it's perfectly ok for OP to try and get some floor mats for free out of the deal.
      09-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
seanl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Many first time BMW buyers don't realize that floormats cost extra. Without doing the research on this Forum, I wouldn't have known either. It's not alot of money, it's just irritating.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #22
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Quote:
Many first time BMW buyers don't realize that floormats cost extra. Without doing the research on this Forum, I wouldn't have known either. It's not alot of money, it's just irritating.
Particularly when it's STILL not clear today whether floor mats are standard are optional. My last car, a E39 540iA, DID come with standard floor mats from the factory (when I asked, they laughed at me with a "of course BMW's come with floor mats" comment). I certainly assumed that a new 3-series would come with them, too.

For what it's worth, my '09 E90 will come with floor mats included, and I didn't think to ask until after agreeing on a price....
Appreciate 0