F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan vs Eibach 340i xDrive
ARMA SPEED

07-10-2020, 11:37 PM   #1
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xdrive

Dinan vs Eibach 340i xDrive

Hi there - looking for input from those who have owned one or both.

Car is a 340i xdrive with adaptive suspension.

Looking into either Dinan or Eibach pro kit springs (would pair either with the proper shorter bumpstops)

I think I prefer the more even-looking drop of eibach (dinan seems to have reverse-rake), but can anyone comment on the ride w/ adaptive suspension?

I've heard Dinan is very comfortable, close to stock, but not sure about Eibach, or how well they pair with adaptive suspension.

Not interested in coilovers or ditching my adaptive shocks.

Basically, looking for input / feedback from those who have had either on their adaptive xdrive suspension. Bonus points for pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooned_n55 View Post

Looking into either Dinan or Eibach pro kit springs (would pair either with the proper shorter bumpstops)

I think I prefer the more even-looking drop of eibach (dinan seems to have reverse-rake), but can anyone comment on the ride w/ adaptive suspension?

I've heard Dinan is very comfortable, close to stock, but not sure about Eibach, or how well they pair with adaptive suspension.

Basically, looking for input / feedback from those who have had either on their adaptive xdrive suspension. Bonus points for pics.
Eibach are only about 10% stiffer than stock so besides the drop, you get some additional control without added harshness. Dinan told me that they are about 30% stiffer than stock, so it's going to feel harsher.

For the rake and stiffness issues, I went with Eibach two years ago. I'm very happy with Eibach.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Eibach are only about 10% stiffer than stock so besides the drop, you get some additional control without added harshness. Dinan told me that they are about 30% stiffer than stock, so it's going to feel harsher.

For the rake and stiffness issues, I went with Eibach two years ago. I'm very happy with Eibach.
Thanks. Are you riding adaptive suspension as well? How did they feel in the different modes?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

Quote:
Quote:

I believe I'd read in one of Farkle's posts or threads that the springs for the F30 ix / F31 ix cars optioned with Adaptive M suspension are stiffer than stock ix springs for the same cars. With this in mind, might Eibach be less than 10% and Dinan less than 30% stiffer depending on the associated oem spring rate(s)? Seems plausible.
I'm not sure where to locate spring rate tables, both OEM and aftermarket. I can find the TUV data, but don't see spring rate in there. Farkle has a nice excel spreadsheet he created with FatCat which has tabs for various vehicles for which you can compare ride frequency and "levelness" flat vs rake to some of the more common aftermarket springs and coilovers. It's definitely a useful tool. Maybe see how your 340 compares to Eibach and Dinan in that spreadsheet. It's all numbers and in the end how one feels the car drives, but nice to know some data going into a purchase of a new set up.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Eibach kit for my '16 F31 328ix with THP and Adaptive M suspension...now debating whether to use F80 or Dinan (E39/E60) bump stops.
      07-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post
I believe I'd read in one of Farkle's posts or threads that the springs for the F30 ix / F31 ix cars optioned with Adaptive M suspension are stiffer than stock ix springs for the same cars. With this in mind, might Eibach be less than 10% and Dinan less than 30% stiffer depending on the associated oem spring rate(s)? Seems plausible.
I'm not sure where to locate spring rate tables, both OEM and aftermarket. I can find the TUV data, but don't see spring rate in there. Farkle has a nice excel spreadsheet he created with FatCat which has tabs for various vehicles for which you can compare ride frequency and "levelness" flat vs rake to some of the more common aftermarket springs and coilovers. It's definitely a useful tool. Maybe see how your 340 compares to Eibach and Dinan in that spreadsheet. It's all numbers and in the end how one feels the car drives, but nice to know some data going into a purchase of a new set up.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Eibach kit for my '16 F31 328ix with THP and Adaptive M suspension...now debating whether to use F80 or Dinan (E39/E60) bump stops.
This would be great information to know. Do you know where I can access this spreadsheet?

Essentially, I am looking for a slight upgrade in handling, and a modest drop 1 inch or less. Ride comfort is important.

I think both Eibach & Dinan fit the bill, however I prefer the flatter stance of the Eibach spring.

I'm surprised there is little information or feedback to be found on these Eibach springs on xDrive Adaptive suspension. Was hoping to get more insight.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Are you riding adaptive suspension as well? How did they feel in the different modes?
I have standard shocks which I switched out for Koni Special Active Stuts/Shocks. Developed by Koni & McLaren, KSA's are probably the closest thing to a passive version of the BMW Adaptive shocks.

A good friend of mine has Adaptive suspension with Eibach springs and are experiences are the same. I haven't seen anything that I would call a decision making difference concerning the Eibachs with Adaptive vs Standard struts/Shocks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This would be great information to know. Do you know where I can access this spreadsheet?

Essentially, I am looking for a slight upgrade in handling, and a modest drop 1 inch or less. Ride comfort is important.

I think both Eibach & Dinan fit the bill, however I prefer the flatter stance of the Eibach spring.

I'm surprised there is little information or feedback to be found on these Eibach springs on xDrive Adaptive suspension. Was hoping to get more insight.
I couldn't figure out how to copy the thread link, but the following is the title where the conversation is with link to the spreadsheet:

F3x Chassis Suspension Frequency Calculator, By FCM & FaRKle!

According to the TUV data for the Eibach springs I'm looking at:
E10-20-031-15-22 Pro-Kit which is comprised of:

F11-20-031-02-VA Front Spring
F11-20-014-14-HA Rear Spring

they were tested with Bilstein and using original bump stops.

When I looked at the ACS TUV data,
for spring set 3130231310 comprised of

3133230310 Front Spring
3353231130 HA Rear Spring

they were tested with their own ACS dampers, but I can't tell what bump stops were used based on the information provide.

I think this makes it a bit confusing when trying to achieve the best set up for what each person wants to achieve.

There's definitely much more to those chunks of foam than meets the eye.
      07-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You make all good points. Farkle! Has been great at educating everyone. BMW makes springs a huge mystery. You can't enter your VIN anywhere and find out part numbers on your stock springs.

In fact you can't even generalize, like my buddy and I have the same year and model so we must have the same springs. Not true! Depending on your exact installed list of options the decision was made on the assembly line as to which combination of stock front and rear springs to install.

No BMW part number appears on the stock springs. Instead each spring has a white label with a two letter code. So your front springs might be "EH" and your rear springs might be "SZ". There is no easily accessible location to learn what are the corresponding spring specifications. Farkle! has the best understanding and has compiled the most information.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep

I saw those two letter codes on my springs and tried to decipher on the web to no avail. Then as you pointed out after researching RealOEM.com, by last 7-digits if VIN, no corresponding part # were indicated for the springs. Later I read about BMW springs being based on individual equipment options. The unique tailored approach is a good thing I suppose...but bad for us who geek out on the part numbers and data
      07-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Here's the link to the F3x ride frequency calculator.

The only way to find out what OE spring PNs you have is either 1) have access to a spec sheet that lists the PNs and what two letter code are on their spring tags, or 2) plug your VIN/options into an ETK program. Unfortunately BMW took down their free online ETK at the beginning of 2020, so the only want to use that is to download a cracked offline version (a google search will bring up links to other forums with this).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You make all good points. Farkle! Has been great at educating everyone. BMW makes springs a huge mystery. You can't enter your VIN anywhere and find out part numbers on your stock springs.

In fact you can't even generalize, like my buddy and I have the same year and model so we must have the same springs. Not true! Depending on your exact installed list of options the decision was made on the assembly line as to which combination of stock front and rear springs to install.

No BMW part number appears on the stock springs. Instead each spring has a white label with a two letter code. So your front springs might be "EH" and your rear springs might be "SZ". There is no easily accessible location to learn what are the corresponding spring specifications. Farkle! has the best understanding and has compiled the most information.

It blows my mind that the OEM spring specs are so varies and secretive from BMW. The assembly line person picks what one he feels like putting on your car that day? Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

The only way to find out what OE spring PNs you have is either 1) have access to a spec sheet that lists the PNs and what two letter code are on their spring tags, or 2) plug your VIN/options into an ETK program. Unfortunately BMW took down their free online ETK at the beginning of 2020, so the only want to use that is to download a cracked offline version (a google search will bring up links to other forums with this).

Thanks for this useful info. You seem to be the expert here, do you have an opinion on how well the Dinan and Eibach springs pair with the factory adaptive suspension on the 340i xdrive, from a perspective of comfort, performance, and longevity?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
3FortyI
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

I'm planning to go with Eibach and Koni Active Yellow as a paired combo that is offered by Koni. I have a XDrive without Adaptive
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FortyI View Post
I'm planning to go with Eibach and Koni Active Yellow as a paired combo that is offered by Koni. I have a XDrive without Adaptive
You are kinda mixing terms. There are Koni Special Active struts/shocks which are red. And there are Koni Sport Yellow.

I have an xDrive and I have Koni Special Active with Eibach springs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It blows my mind that the OEM spring specs are so varies and secretive from BMW. The assembly line person picks what one he feels like putting on your car that day? Haha.

Quote:

Thanks for this useful info. You seem to be the expert here, do you have an opinion on how well the Dinan and Eibach springs pair with the factory adaptive suspension on the 340i xdrive, from a perspective of comfort, performance, and longevity?
"It blows my mind that the OEM spring specs are so varies and secretive from BMW. The assembly line person picks what one he feels like putting on your car that day? Haha."

I did not mean to give you the impression that someone does what they feel like doing on the assembly line. Not at all. I'm sure they have some application that that takes the list of options on the car and tells them which springs to install on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #15
3FortyI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FortyI View Post
You are kinda mixing terms. There are Koni Special Active struts/shocks which are red. And there are Koni Sport Yellow.

I have an xDrive and I have Koni Special Active with Eibach springs.
Apologies, you are right. I meant to say Koni Sport Yellow with Eibach. The red active is another option.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #16
Stlblues
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:

It sounds like you are leaning towards the Eibach but FWIW I just installed the Dinan on my 340i xdrive and couldn't be happier. I am on stock non adaptive shocks. The ride is comfortable but the handling is sharper. I don't notice much difference in ride quality but it does feel like this is the suspension the car should have come with. Much sportier. The drop looks perfect too, to my eyes anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:15 PM   #17
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Dinan is very tight-lipped about their specs, so I really don't know what their spring rates are. That said, the factory EDC suspension can handle springs in the F8x ZCP range, so they'll be able to damp Eibach and Dinan in normal/spirited driving. Where I found the EDC suspension lacking was on quick side to side weight shifts while trying to maintain maximum speed on the track or AutoX, not a typical situation.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #18
spooned_n55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlblues View Post
It sounds like you are leaning towards the Eibach but FWIW I just installed the Dinan on my 340i xdrive and couldn't be happier. I am on stock non adaptive shocks. The ride is comfortable but the handling is sharper. I don't notice much difference in ride quality but it does feel like this is the suspension the car should have come with. Much sportier. The drop looks perfect too, to my eyes anyway.
Leaning towards Eibach because of the stance... But a pic of your setup would be much appreciated! I actually already have the Dinan's sitting in the box right now, but after seeing someone with Eibach's locally, I thought it looked nearly perfect.

Quote:
Dinan is very tight-lipped about their specs, so I really don't know what their spring rates are. That said, the factory EDC suspension can handle springs in the F8x ZCP range, so they'll be able to damp Eibach and Dinan in normal/spirited driving. Where I found the EDC suspension lacking was on quick side to side weight shifts while trying to maintain maximum speed on the track or AutoX, not a typical situation.

Thank you, this is great info. Good to know EDC suspension can handle what is being asked of it from these springs, in most situations. This car will see no track time, so the situation you described will not be commonly seen, to say the least!

Would an F8x spring be advisable over an Eibach or Dinan spring?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
Crashdad
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2, MT

I just joined the forum for this very discussion going on here. I’m looking to put springs on my 2016 340 X Drive with non-adaptive suspension. I don’t see anyone mentioning the H&R springs here so I’m assuming I should avoid those? Also, a few folks mentioned bump stocks. Is that something that I should consider as necessary as part of putting sport springs on?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #20
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdad View Post
I just joined the forum for this very discussion going on here. I'm looking to put springs on my 2016 340 X Drive with non-adaptive suspension. I don't see anyone mentioning the H&R springs here so I'm assuming I should avoid those? Also, a few folks mentioned bump stocks. Is that something that I should consider as necessary as part of putting sport springs on?
I wouldn't say avoid. It really depends on what you're looking to achieve. As we're driving "ix" models, I believe most wish to remove some wheel gap (easy to measure) and improve handling (very subjective). The later which can be done in a number of ways but keeping it to springs and dampers here.

Depending on the cars mileage, many consider replacing the OEM shocks & struts when they upgrade springs.
For those with non-adaptive this costs less, but still an investment. Albeit a good one in the eyes of most, as it seems to be a general consensus that the OEM non-adaptive dampers of the "ix" cars do not properly dampen a lowered car enough. The adaptive dampers are believed to have a better adaptability, pardon the pun, to lowering springs within reason, but coming at a higher cost of replacement if one looks to an aftermarket EDC damper or save some money and delete EDC altogether, transitioning to non-adaptive.

As to H&R, no doubt these would greatly reduce wheel gap, approx 1.75" front and 1.4" rear lowering from what i've read, but might be a bit of a stressor on the OEM ix dampers whether non-adaptive or adaptive. As far as bump stops, going shorter is what most look to do and in doing so look to keep some travel, based on their now lowered car and matching the bump stop to the new spring rate. For ix, Dinan (E39/E60) and F80 are the most talked about. Cutting bump stops can be done, but I think it would change their original properties as a secondary damper.
      07-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #21
3FortyI
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdad View Post
I just joined the forum for this very discussion going on here. I'm looking to put springs on my 2016 340 X Drive with non-adaptive suspension. I don't see anyone mentioning the H&R springs here so I'm assuming I should avoid those? Also, a few folks mentioned bump stocks. Is that something that I should consider as necessary as part of putting sport springs on?
For me it's like this..

Eibach - Dinan - H&R in terms of preference (greatest to least).

H&R has the lowest drop rating out of all 3 (I believe). To the post above, key thing here is your preference of ride. I am after reducing wheel gap, improving handling and increasing ride quality within a feasible manner.

You can always go the coil over route but honestly I don't plan to lower or increase ride height on the go and rather have a spring combo setup that is just as good regardless if there is wheel gap after the fact. Sometimes it's good to have so you have flexibility of carrying load (people or items), wheel and offset choice, drag setup etc.

Others have suggesting sway bars, for handling, but I believe the labor associated and installation process becomes a hinderance.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #22
Crashdad
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2, MT

Quote:
I wouldn't say avoid. It really depends on what you're looking to achieve. As we're driving "ix" models, I believe most wish to remove some wheel gap (easy to measure) and improve handling (very subjective). The later which can be done in a number of ways but keeping it to springs and dampers here.

Depending on the cars mileage, many consider replacing the OEM shocks & struts when they upgrade springs.
For those with non-adaptive this costs less, but still an investment. Albeit a good one in the eyes of most, as it seems to be a general consensus that the OEM non-adaptive dampers of the "ix" cars do not properly dampen a lowered car enough. The adaptive dampers are believed to have a better adaptability, pardon the pun, to lowering springs within reason, but coming at a higher cost of replacement if one looks to an aftermarket EDC damper or save some money and delete EDC altogether, transitioning to non-adaptive.

As to H&R, no doubt these would greatly reduce wheel gap, approx 1.75" front and 1.4" rear lowering from what i've read, but might be a bit of a stressor on the OEM ix dampers whether non-adaptive or adaptive. As far as bump stops, going shorter is what most look to do and in doing so look to keep some travel, based on their now lowered car and matching the bump stop to the new spring rate. For ix, Dinan (E39/E60) and F80 are the most talked about. Cutting bump stops can be done, but I think it would change their original properties as a secondary damper.
Appreciate the guidance! I had not heard anything before about the difference in “ix” damping re: springs. Will need to give that some consideration, but likely not in a position to spend the extra on also replacing the shocks/struts at the moment. I’m assuming that is something I could replace down the road if needed. The current OEM suspension is still fairly new (40K-ish miles) so I’m hoping to get a bit more life out of them. Will also add new bump stops my purchase to ensure proper travel remains with the new springs. Once I get the springs installed I’ll report back on how the damping feels with the OEM shocks/struts.
Appreciate 0