F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > New rotors and brake pads
ARMA SPEED

07-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #1
335zba
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i xdrive

New rotors and brake pads

When pressing the break my car has been shaking pretty dramatically. I'm looking to get new rotors and brake pads for my 2014 bmw 335i xdrive. Ik the front calipers are larger then the rear. Just looking for any advice on what rotors and pads I should get and sizing.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

Just use bimmercat to get the exact specs of your brakes. I would recommend getting EBC Yellowstuff Pads and Zimmermann or EBC rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335zba View Post
When pressing the break my car has been shaking pretty dramatically. I'm looking to get new rotors and brake pads for my 2014 bmw 335i xdrive. Ik the front calipers are larger then the rear. Just looking for any advice on what rotors and pads I should get and sizing.
If your brake calipers are grey then you have standard F3x 335i brakes, so:
Front 340mm X 30mm rotors
Rear 330mm X 20mm rotors

If you have Blue 335i M Sport Brakes, then:
Front 370x30
Rear 345x24

These street pads are Hawk 5.0. Great bite, instant warm up and light dust that washes right off. Made in USA. See photo for part numbers.

Pads are the most critical brake component. Don't fall for some package of pretty rotors with crap pads thrown in. The best rotors will perform like crap with crap pads.

I have rotor recommendations too, but I'm more concerned about the brake symptom that you are experiencing. You don't mention a dash light indicating pad wear. It sounds like you may have a missing clip, pin, broken pad, etc- something is physically wrong. It's not just normal rotor or pad wear.

Is it front or rear? Left or right? Take the wheel off and look. Or take it to a local independent BMW mechanic to find out what's making the noise. It should be obvious to them with a visual inspection.

If you don't have one, then check BimmerShops website. Don't let them just replace pads or rotors with whatever garden variety OEM part or even BMW part that they use. You will miss the opportunity to upgrade your brakes with better aftermarket parts. My Indy charges $100/wheel when I bring him my own brake parts including fluid replacement which should be done every two years for safety.

Let me know which brakes you have, grey or blue, and I can provide rotor recommendations and part numbers.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Sad N2621.00
      07-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
335zba
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Rear 330mm X 20mm rotors

Front 370x30
Rear 345x24

These street pads are Hawk 5.0. Great bite, instant warm up and light dust that washes right off. Made in USA. See photo for part numbers.

Pads are the most critical brake component. Don't fall for some package of pretty rotors with crap pads thrown in. The best rotors will perform like crap with crap pads.

I have rotor recommendations too, but I'm more concerned about the brake symptom that you are experiencing. You don't mention a dash light indicating pad wear. It sounds like you may have a missing clip, pin, broken pad, etc- something is physically wrong. It's not just normal rotor or pad wear.

Is it front or rear? Left or right? Take the wheel off and look. Or take it to a local independent BMW mechanic to find out what's making the noise. It should be obvious to them with a visual inspection.

If you don't have one, then check BimmerShops website. Don't let them just replace pads or rotors with whatever garden variety OEM part or even BMW part that they use. You will miss the opportunity to upgrade your brakes with better aftermarket parts. My Indy charges $100/wheel when I bring him my own brake parts including fluid replacement which should be done every two years for safety.

Let me know which brakes you have, grey or blue, and I can provide rotor recommendations and part numbers.

Hope this helps!
I have the grey calipers so I think that's the standard brakes. Thanks for all the help
Appreciate 1
johnung4537.00
      07-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Rear 330mm X 20mm rotors

Front 370x30
Rear 345x24

Hope this helps!
I have the grey calipers so I think that's the standard brakes. Thanks for all the help
Zimmermann are great German-made replacement rotors if you need them

Front 340x30
Part# 150.2903.32

Rear 330x20
Part# 150.2904.20
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

this is from tire rack

REAR
Material: Composite
Manufacturer Part #:
HB766B.624
Note: Rear brake pads. M Sport brakes. 370mm front discs.

REAR
Manufacturer Part #:
HB825B.649
Note: Rear brake pads. Base and M Sport brakes. 340mm front discs.

FRONT
Manufacturer Part #:
HB765B.664
Note: Front brake pads. Base and M Sport brakes.
Appreciate 0