F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Steering Wheel Protection?
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
patriotaki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320i 2009, F32 420i 2018

Steering Wheel Protection?

Hello all,

I am looking for ways to protect my steering wheel from getting glossy/oily.

I want to maintain that matte feeling/look.

I was thinking about getting a DIY stitch cover, but im not sure if it will damage the original leather below since im living in a very hot country (40 degrees Celcius in the summer).

What other options do i have? Are there any chemicals that are safe to use and maintain that look?

Also im only buying products from amazon.de and ebay.de, so if you recommend me a product it needs to be available in EU.

thanks
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 12:42 AM   #2
patriotaki
Private First Class
Rep

any help?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Regular cleaning is the best solution. There are plenty of quality leather & interior cleaners. Even a dilute mix of all-purpose cleaner (or Woolite laundry cleaner) & water with a microfiber towel will clean it. I'm in the USA so don't know what's readily available in Cypress.

This line of products work well. No need for any top dressings or conditioners on the steering wheel.
https://leatherworldtech.com/leather...r-soft-cleaner

I recently applied CQuartz Leather to the leather in our F22, including the steering wheel & shift knob. It's too early to report the benefits.
https://carpro.global/catalog/cquartz-leather/

This also looks like a good product:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premium-leather-kit.html

Nothing better.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:59 AM   #5
patriotaki
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
is often used for the steering wheel? helps to maintain the matte look and feel?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:18 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotaki View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for ways to protect my steering wheel from getting glossy/oily.

I want to maintain that matte feeling/look.

I was thinking about getting a DIY stitch cover, but im not sure if it will damage the original leather below since im living in a very hot country (40 degrees Celcius in the summer).

What other options do i have? Are there any chemicals that are safe to use and maintain that look?

Also im only buying products from amazon.de and ebay.de, so if you recommend me a product it needs to be available in EU.

thanks
The steering wheel is the dirtiest component of a car. It's constantly abused with dirt and oils from your hands. So a steering wheel needs to be cleaned and protected the most.

I have a small bucket dedicated to hold leather cleaning supplies. Three spray bottles containing a leather cleaner, a leather conditioner and plain water. Also a pile of clean microfiber towels. Makes it easy to just grab the "leather" bucket so the steering wheel and seats get cleaned more often than they used to.

I've been using Lexol leather products but I would have confidence in any made by Sonax as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:54 AM   #7
patriotaki
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The steering wheel is the dirtiest component of a car. It's constantly abused with dirt and oils from your hands. So a steering wheel needs to be cleaned and protected the most.

I have a small bucket dedicated to hold leather cleaning supplies. Three spray bottles containing a leather cleaner, a leather conditioner and plain water. Also a pile of clean microfiber towels. Makes it easy to just grab the "leather" bucket so the steering wheel and seats get cleaned more often than they used to.

I've been using Lexol leather products but I would have confidence in any made by Sonax as well.
What about swissvax? anyone tried them
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

I just use a damp micro fiber cloth and wipe it weekly to keep it clean.
Appreciate 0