F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Gloss black foglight trim
proTUNING Freaks

08-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Gloss black foglight trim

I was thinking about swapping out my chrome kidney grilles and getting the gloss black double slit kidney grilles. I was looking at my car and thought that it would look a lot better if the fog light trim was also gloss black and not that flat black plastic look that it has. I wanted to know if anyone has done this to their car and could share some pics so I can see what it looked like. Also if you could share how much you paid to have it painted that would help as well. For reference I have a base 2013 f30 328i sedan.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
ugra
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 320d

I was just looking up this on google! I put gloss black grills and was looking at front bumper and i thought it would be great if those mat fog covers were glossy also so they match the grill and the rims I have. I was thinking of just doing some glossy clear coat over them but not sure how long and well that would last
If anyone has any experience on this am also very interested!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
davewes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Sub'd. Looking to do the same but haven't been able to find black fog surrounds.
      08-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugra View Post
I was just looking up this on google! I put gloss black grills and was looking at front bumper and i thought it would be great if those mat fog covers were glossy also so they match the grill and the rims I have. I was thinking of just doing some glossy clear coat over them but not sure how long and well that would last
If anyone has any experience on this am also very interested!
Now I don't know if I should get the gloss black kidney grilles or just get the matte black kidney grilles because I could not find any pictures of the trim painted nor could I find someone who has done it. I am also look to get that m style trunk lip and I want it to match the grilles. I also purchased the oem mud flaps and they are that flat matte black color as well. So now I gotta make the choice of whether or not to have everything matte black or paint everything gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:54 AM   #5
ugra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_guy View Post
Now I don't know if I should get the gloss black kidney grilles or just get the matte black kidney grilles because I could not find any pictures of the trim painted nor could I find someone who has done it. I am also look to get that m style trunk lip and I want it to match the grilles. I also purchased the oem mud flaps and they are that flat matte black color as well. So now I gotta make the choice of whether or not to have everything matte black or paint everything gloss black.
IMO gloss black looks way better. Flat black looks okay but glossy is my favorite. It's all god till it is not chrome
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:25 AM   #6
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
IMO gloss black looks way better. Flat black looks okay but glossy is my favorite. It's all god till it is not chrome
I ended up getting matte black double slit kidney grilles. I thought with the oem mudflaps and the foglight trim being matte black that I would just match it. I am also planning on getting a trunk lip in matte black as well. If I do not like it I guess I'll just paint them all gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #7
ugra
Rep

Matte black double slit? Did not see those anywhere, can you post some pics so we can see? Also I'm thinking of buying some trunk lip, they go for about 60$ here in Serbia but in primer so painting is needed. And when it comes to painting it I'm not sure if I go with car color mineral gray or gloss black because of the grille and mirror caps which should come in next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Are these the surrounds? Mine came gloss black from the factory and I found a replacement on eBay for around $30. Fit and finish are great.

Are you looking for the entire piece to be gloss black?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #9
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Matte black double slit? Did not see those anywhere, can you post some pics so we can see? Also I'm thinking of buying some trunk lip, they go for about 60$ here in Serbia but in primer so painting is needed. And when it comes to painting it I'm not sure if I go with car color mineral gray or gloss black because of the grille and mirror caps which should come in next week or so.
Yeah here is a before and after for you.
Attached Images

Last edited by sick_guy; 08-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Had to crop my neighbors license plates out
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Are these the surrounds? Mine came gloss black from the factory and I found a replacement on eBay for around $30. Fit and finish are great.

My foglight trim is different from yours. I think yours is from a more expensive package because yours has the spot where you can attach those whiskers. You can see mine from the attached image in the post above. Mine are the ones that come with the base package.
Appreciate 1
haagm58810.50
      08-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #11
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My foglight trim is different from yours. I think yours is from a more expensive package because yours has the spot where you can attach those whiskers. You can see mine from the attached image in the post above. Mine are the ones that come with the base package.
Ah I see now. Mine is the sport line trim. The listing I ordered from isn't available anymore but here is the info:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #12
sick_guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah I see now. Mine is the sport line trim. The listing I ordered from isn't available anymore but here is the info:
Thank you for showing me. I am going to leave the foglight trim alone for now, but if I decide to make everything gloss black I will look into purchasing those pieces since they are so cheap. Also I wanted to ask how was the removal and installation of those trim pieces? Not too difficult I hope.
Appreciate 1
haagm58810.50
      08-26-2020, 05:16 AM   #13
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for showing me. I am going to leave the foglight trim alone for now, but if I decide to make everything gloss black I will look into purchasing those pieces since they are so cheap. Also I wanted to ask how was the removal and installation of those trim pieces? Not too difficult I hope.
You're welcome. Removal as a bit tricky but all it took was a trim tool and patience to pry out around the trim. Having the new trim to look at helped. Install was super easy, took less than 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 11:51 AM   #14
Grateful_Newt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i

Quote:
How did you take those out to paint the? Looks good!
Appreciate 0