F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Possible Knocking Sources After New Suspension Install
GetBMWParts

08-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
TK310
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Lightbulb Possible Knocking Sources After New Suspension Install

Hello, I recently install eibach pro springs with Koni yellow sports (rebound adjust only) on my 2013 F30 328 Xdrive with 32k miles. After a couple days I noticed a knocking sound on passenger/right side only when im going slow while turning. From the outside it almost sounds like two metal parts are slightly knocking into each other. the sound never shows up when im going straight or once I get above 20+ mph. I tried retorquing most bolts and nuts from initial install which didn't seem to help unless I'm missing something & doing it wrong. I thought it might've been the sway bar end links which people commonly bring up which I then replaced with the turnermotorsport metal rod end ball joints using Farkle's helpful DIY vid. The steering feel drastically improved without the preload from stock end links but the knocking sound still persists. Now I'm thinking of replacing the inner & outer tie rods? or maybe the thrust arms which have slight slack with arm force which im not sure is normal or not. There also isn't any apparent movement when trying to wiggle my wheels, so I'm beginning to have doubts its any of the control arms or tie rod and now considering possibly steering source of knock? Anyone have any other suggestion where I should take a look or where to re trace my initial install? Sorry for the wall of text, this knocking noise is a mystery.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK310 View Post
Hello, I recently install eibach pro springs with Koni yellow sports (rebound adjust only) on my 2013 F30 328 Xdrive with 32k miles. After a couple days I noticed a knocking sound on passenger/right side only when im going slow while turning. From the outside it almost sounds like two metal parts are slightly knocking into each other. the sound never shows up when im going straight or once I get above 20+ mph. I tried retorquing most bolts and nuts from initial install which didn't seem to help unless I'm missing something & doing it wrong. I thought it might've been the sway bar end links which people commonly bring up which I then replaced with the turnermotorsport metal rod end ball joints using Farkle's helpful DIY vid. The steering feel drastically improved without the preload from stock end links but the knocking sound still persists. Now I'm thinking of replacing the inner & outer tie rods? or maybe the thrust arms which have slight slack with arm force which im not sure is normal or not. There also isn't any apparent movement when trying to wiggle my wheels, so I'm beginning to have doubts its any of the control arms or tie rod and now considering possibly steering source of knock? Anyone have any other suggestion where I should take a look or where to re trace my initial install? Sorry for the wall of text, this knocking noise is a mystery.
Recheck the torque on every bolt that was touched. After having some work done I had a weird bang sound in right rear when driven over any bump. Everything seemed okay on examination.

My mechanic put it on his lift and went systematically through every suspension component from top down. Yanking, pulling, levering. Finally turned out to be the bottom bolt holding the rear shock. Wasn't torqued properly.

Go through systematically. Maybe pay an Indy to go through it. A new set of eyes may find it.
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5919.50
      08-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

+1 johnung

Get a torque wrench and check every nut/bolt that was touched.
Suspension items don't take well to hand-tightening anything.

I spent the last 4 weekends hunting down rattles in my suspension from a recent camber plate install. Amazing the noises a suspension will make if the nuts/bolts aren't torqued down!
Appreciate 1
johnung4537.00