E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hit up the a**e today by an AA van

10-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
stevie996
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d M Sport

Hit up the a**e today by an AA van

Minding my own business on a roundabout today when I was forced to stop by some t**t in Transit minibus who decided to pull in front of me and then stop dead!

The AA man did not see him stop and hence me stop and he piled into the back of me.

Damage appears cosmetic, new bumper skin and valance. The impact appears to have damaged the strengthing bar and the bumper is very slightly pushed back although it appears not to have caused any structual damage. We won't know fully though until the bumper is removed.

Usual crap from insurers about their approved repairers whom I would not trust to put air in my tyres!

And s**t, just had the car Zymoled with Royale!

Coukd have been worse, nobody was hurt, I suppose.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

sorry to hear about that mate ... shame the AA dont do bodywork repairs too ( sorry, that was in bad taste )

make sure your car goes to a BMW approved bodyshop and not the one the insurance company wants it to go to, you have a choice so make sure they know you know !

Hope everything goes well, its gutting to see your car like that isnt it. I hope its sorted asap, im thinking its now time to 'play' in the loan car

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Steve, sorry to hear this mate

Hope it gets sorted quickly for you and glad to hear that no injuries were suffered. Chin up, it will be back shiney and new soon!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
At least it was an AA van and not some random white van with no insurance etc. Hope it gets sorted soon.
      10-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Oh dear, not good! Sorry to hear about this Steve.

Nothing to say except hope the car gets fixed a.s.a.p. and Paul's right, at least being hit by the AA, you can guarantee the bloke is insured. One less thing to annoy you anyhow.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Does your neck hurt at all?
      10-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry to hear this. Been there back in March. My neck and back didn't hurt initially. However I am suffering with ongoing spine issues and visits to the quack and physio. Keep an eye on it or better still visit the GP.

Not your fault. The car should be sent to the repairer of your choice and returned to pre accident condition..... including the reapplication of Royale. Neither your insurer nor the AA can deny this. A like for like hire car should be arranged as well from Bristol and London or Helphire.

Best of luck with the repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
So sorry to hear that. Been there and had similar happen almost a year ago. The legal wheels are still turning to sort it all out.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
3_toed_tree_sloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ZiL-41047

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Does your neck hurt at all?
If it does, it's usually worth close to £2k in compo.

Aways remember, where there's blame there's a claim.

Now allow me to repeat the question. "Does your neck hurt?"
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
neilmc
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Sorry to hear that mate, especially as you had obviously just had it perfectly deatiled with the royale. Still as long as you are ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #11
Ragman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 - Gutless, fidgety, BOS

Sorry to hear about the accident - that is bad news.

Without trying to start any rows over false claims for compensation do the people that have made claims for compensation when not *fully* justified not realise that this will inevitably increase the cost of insurance in the long run – for everyone. Now I don’t really care as my insurance is paid for, but for those that do pay their own….

Also the demanding a like for like car whilst the claim is being sorted out – who do you think pays for this? You got it someone’s insurance company. Up go the premiums again. For everyone.

Likewise these “claims management” sharks – they don’t work for free. Up go the premiums again. For everyone.

I’ve got a mate who was at the front of a queue of cars rear ended by a someone using a mobile – the blow was cushioned by two other cars before his was hit – so not too drastic a hit for him. The next day the claims “sharks” started circling – asking if he had “neck pains” etc – one even asked if his sex life had suffered! (Hands OK as it happens).

Again I am not denigrating those that have genuine claims but let’s try not to sleepwalk any further down the compensation culture road.

No I haven’t been on either the receiving end of a crash or the causing end.

Now the contentious part…

These “claims handlers” are non-businesses, they are not a required business – they are for the lazy who can’t be bothered to do some work when required to sort out problems when they occur.

I’m thinking parasites.

Q) What is the difference between a dead “claims handler” and a dead dog both laying in the road?

A) There are skid-marks leading up to the dog.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 04:48 AM   #12
3_toed_tree_sloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ZiL-41047

I agree with you entirely however I was attempting to be ironic.
You forgot to include unisured drivers into the discussion on increased premiums which of course we all subsidise and the pathetic penalties passed to motorists caught without appropriate cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #13
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Sorry to hear about the crash At least, as you said , no-body was hurt.

Hope it's all sorted soon for you!

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #14
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
....a lot of good stuff......

I was walking up the High Street the other day and the usual Blame/Claim low lifes were touting for business......their A-board was on the pavement a couple of yards away from them and I was sorely tempted to "trip" over it and see what they did.......

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 05:46 AM   #15
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
I was sorely tempted to "trip" over it and see what they did.......
Great idea, let's set one lot of claim chasers against another - sue themselves out of existence.

IMO they've done nothing but damage to the view of the legal profession in the UK. BTW I'm not a solicitor or anything....

PS: Sorry this is off topic - just don't sue me

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #16
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Q) What is the difference between a dead “claims handler” and a dead dog both laying in the road?

Q: What do you have when a claims handler is up to his neck in concrete?
A: Not enough concrete.

Q: What did the indians do to Col. Custer at Little Big Horn?
A: They Siouxed him.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the accident - that is bad news.

Without trying to start any rows over false claims for compensation do the people that have made claims for compensation when not *fully* justified not realise that this will inevitably increase the cost of insurance in the long run – for everyone. Now I don’t really care as my insurance is paid for, but for those that do pay their own….

Also the demanding a like for like car whilst the claim is being sorted out – who do you think pays for this? You got it someone’s insurance company. Up go the premiums again. For everyone.

Likewise these “claims management” sharks – they don’t work for free. Up go the premiums again. For everyone.

I’ve got a mate who was at the front of a queue of cars rear ended by a someone using a mobile – the blow was cushioned by two other cars before his was hit – so not too drastic a hit for him. The next day the claims “sharks” started circling – asking if he had “neck pains” etc – one even asked if his sex life had suffered! (Hands OK as it happens).

Again I am not denigrating those that have genuine claims but let’s try not to sleepwalk any further down the compensation culture road.

No I haven’t been on either the receiving end of a crash or the causing end.

Now the contentious part…

These “claims handlers” are non-businesses, they are not a required business – they are for the lazy who can’t be bothered to do some work when required to sort out problems when they occur.

I’m thinking parasites.

Many vaild points. I agree that we should not sleep walk into a mass litagation culture.

However

1, I didn't ask to be hit by a Mercedes ML tailgating me on the M6
2, I didn't ask for the impact to buckle the seat I was sitting in and write off the BMW
3, I didn't ask to be suffering with more neck and back issues today than I had in the week or two after the accident, preventing me with some daily duties eg. picking up my son.
4, I didn't ask for the Vectra hire car for 5 months although I was paying for a BMW. (they wanted to give me a Corsa!)
5, I didn't ask for claims handler appointed by my company who were crap and not worth their fee

I have asked the solicitor to reject two offers from the third party insurer and I have asked we go to court in the new year subject a satisfactory settlement

If I hadn't had the issues above then I would definately advocate not claiming when its not due. But my advice still stands from my previous post, visit a doctor, get a car you are happy with. No one has a crystal ball to see where it all ends up in six months time.

Cover yourself at all times

PS after the accident I shook hands with the Merc guy, he apologised, we chatted about many things, walked away like nothing had happened. I have had no end of issues on my desk since, sapping away precious time....like writing this post!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
any pics of your written off one carrare?
      10-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #19
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
any pics of your written off one carrare?
Here you go

Rear damage doesn't look too bad but it had buckled the rear corner of the shell. Battery box ended up in the rear wheel well. Wheel arch into the rear door. Crease in the roof skin. Front damage was probably repairable but looks the worst. In all it was deemed uneconomical to repair even though the car was valued at £19k for a 56 reg, 44,000 mile 320d M Sport Touring. On the plus side I am driving a far better version today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #20
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Oh by the way the front damage was from being spun from lane 3 into the central barrier then spinning across three lanes into the hard shoulder barrier.

Scream if you want to spin faster....yeah!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #21
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Hope you got to keep the wheels.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Hope you got to keep the wheels.
Really p*ssed on that one. The wheels were unmarked with brand new tyres all round.
The whole car was really well looked after and would have been snapped up by a relative after its two years of motorway work. My wife takes the p*ss about the amount of TLC the new car gets and reminds me it may all be gone in another accident
Appreciate 0