E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 M-Sport Front Number Plate Surround

10-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Voodooking
Banned
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Astra Coupe SE2

E90 M-Sport Front Number Plate Surround

I've noticed that the front bumper has a rectangular plastic mounting plate fixed to the front in some way.

I'm looking to find out whether this can be removed in order to fit a cut-down shortened private reg plate.

Does anyone know how it comes away, and what is left behind it? I normally just use strong double sided tape to stick the small number plate directly onto the bumper.
Appreciate 1
dephrank323.00
      10-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
stevie996
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435d M Sport

It is secured to the bumper with 4 long self tapping screws so, if you remove it you will be left with 4 holes which will not be covered by any number plate you put on.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
On mine, the front plate is screwed on with two screws, one top right and the other top left. A shortened plate would not fit and hide the screw holes in the plastic bumper.
      10-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Voodooking
Banned
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Astra Coupe SE2

Thanks for your help guys.

It would be the pre facelift 335i M-Sport I am going for. Just waiting to find a year old one in the right spec / colour at the right price.

I notice that your facelift one doesn't have the plastic surround frame.

I wonder if it would be possible to fill this in carefully with some sort of flexible plastic filler, and spot paint with a touch up??? What do people think? (by the way I'm not a complete novice in this area, and do have a lot of experience with detailing, and some minor paint chip repairs.

Just wanted to get an idea if this problem of the oversized surround could be solved, as it has caught my eye on all the cars i've been to look at.
Appreciate 0