E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > n52 Multiple cylinder misfire codes and Vanos codes, Rough idle and stalling

10-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
isaacko980
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xdrive

n52 Multiple cylinder misfire codes and Vanos codes, Rough idle and stalling

Hi, I've purchased a 2008 328xi in really good shape except for a misfire issue.

Having owned several BMWs before, I was hoping it is an ignition coil issue, but the misfire codes are in cylinder 4, 5, and 6. I had an extra coil on hand so I tried swapping them all around several times while putting that in the mix and resetting/ checking codes several times but the misfires are still in the same cylinders 4 5 & 6.

I'm going to check the plugs to see if it can possibly be a leaky injector after work today. But I doubt it as it's the whole bank that has the issue. Could it be o2 sensors? Vanos? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm attaching a screenshot from Bimmerlink of the codes..

Thanks in advance guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

You should check the plugs/gap.. But the code that might be the cause is 2a87. .. Heres a good read..
http://askthebmwexpert.blogspot.com/...shaft.html?m=1
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:09 PM   #3
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Nice, that's the second guy this week who showed up having just bought a car with bad cam bearing ledges.

Big yellow "don't buy me" light on the dashboard, but let's go for it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep

It doesnt mean he has a bad ledge, it means a possibility.. Dont get freak out yet.. Swap and see where issue resides. Its all in the link i provided.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:29 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Nice, that's the second guy this week who showed up having just bought a car with bad cam bearing ledges.

If the price is right that big yellow light doesn't mean anything.

As for the problem, the misfires and the cam codes may be separate issues. Are the VANOS solenoids properly connected? I accidentally had them reversed after cleaning and swapping solenoids and the car ran like garbage and threw those same 2A82 2A87 and 2A99 codes. After swapping electrical connectors it was back to normal. However if they're connected properly and you're still getting the codes, it could be bad solenoids. Or it could be an issue with the VANOS adjuster units under the valve cover. I've been told the LCI models had problems with the VANOS adjuster bolts backing out or the bolt heads snapping off, but that shouldn't be an issue on a 2008.

I don't think O2 sensors would trigger misfires on one bank though I am not certain of that. I'd focus on the coils and plugs first. Definitely remove an inspect the spark plugs first. Try swapping the ignition coils from cylinders 1,2,3 over to 4,5,6. I bought a used high mileage E90 with a steady misfire on cylinder 6. I swapped coils with cylinder 5 and then got cylinder 5 and 6 misfires. I tried all sorts of combinations and couldn't narrow the misfire down to one single faulty coil as the misfire was showing up on multiple cylinders and didn't consistently follow the coils I swapped. I ended up buying all six new coils and new plugs and the car ran fine after that.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
isaacko980
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
If the price is right that big yellow light doesn't mean anything.

As for the problem, the misfires and the cam codes may be separate issues. Are the VANOS solenoids properly connected? I accidentally had them reversed after cleaning and swapping solenoids and the car ran like garbage and threw those same 2A82 2A87 and 2A99 codes. After swapping electrical connectors it was back to normal. However if they're connected properly and you're still getting the codes, it could be bad solenoids. Or it could be an issue with the VANOS adjuster units under the valve cover. I've been told the LCI models had problems with the VANOS adjuster bolts backing out or the bolt heads snapping off, but that shouldn't be an issue on a 2008.

I don't think O2 sensors would trigger misfires on one bank though I am not certain of that. I'd focus on the coils and plugs first. Definitely remove an inspect the spark plugs first. Try swapping the ignition coils from cylinders 1,2,3 over to 4,5,6. I bought a used high mileage E90 with a steady misfire on cylinder 6. I swapped coils with cylinder 5 and then got cylinder 5 and 6 misfires. I tried all sorts of combinations and couldn't narrow the misfire down to one single faulty coil as the misfire was showing up on multiple cylinders and didn't consistently follow the coils I swapped. I ended up buying all six new coils and new plugs and the car ran fine after that.
Exactly, for the right price this is just a fun project for me and I know y'all can help! ..Will definitely give that a shot with the solenoid connectors.

Also, I have a new set of plugs on their way from FCP but will likely just order a set of the coils too. Just don't want to throw a bunch of money at it if not needed. I tried swapping all the coils from my 435i with 36k miles (same part number) into the e90 but it still had the same problem. Also half the plugs had oil or something on them.

Also I checked the oil filter cap, and sure enough the center cage piece was missing, so I have a new cap assembly on its way as well.

Thank you!

Last edited by isaacko980; 10-06-2020 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: few typos and added words
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
isaacko980
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post

Lol I'm just doing this project for fun. Got a sweet price on the car and it would make a decent winter driver so I can keep the 435i home during big storms.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep

435i lets see.. Pics
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
isaacko980
Rep