E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 Replacing rusted rear license plate bracket

10-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
soulcrusher
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

E92 Replacing rusted rear license plate bracket

Hi.
My stock rear license plate bracket rusted at the nails sites.

I'm looking for a replacement that's not over-priced at the dealer. Amazon has many listings but there are concerns that the "stainless steel nails" and "brass washers" rust after a few months.

[update] This bracket is specific to this model... since the bracket bolts in the middle and mounts the license plate on the bracket itself, not the car....German Engineering...

Last edited by soulcrusher; 10-11-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
soulcrusher
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Anyone bought one recently that they recommend or vouch in quality or durability?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

I couldn’t find anything decent besides original OEM. I ran into the same issue reading reviews on Amazon. Tried eBay for lightly used parts but they were all rusted away and cost almost the same as new from FCP.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcrusher View Post
Hi.
My stock rear license plate bracket rusted at the nails sites.

I'm looking for a replacement that's not over-priced at the dealer. Amazon has many listings but there are concerns that the "stainless steel nails" and "brass washers" rust after a few months.

[update] This bracket is specific to this model... since the bracket bolts in the middle and mounts the license plate on the bracket itself, not the car....German Engineering...
I checked real OEM.com. The P/N 51139448724, is used on about 60 BMW models and Mini. Pricey at $42. I had to replace the bracket on my E46 it was $35, so it's not out of the ball park.

When you say "rusted at the nails sites", does that mean the threaded screw holes? BMW updated the part, it looks like they got rid of the metal screw hole bungs and now just have plastic that uses a automotive-use course thread screw.

To prevent rust issues, I use stainless steel hardware for mounting license plates on my BMWs. Learned that lesson long long ago.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I checked real OEM.com. The P/N 51139448724, is used on about 60 BMW models and Mini. Pricey at $42. I had to replace the bracket on my E46 it was $35, so it's not out of the ball park.

When you say "rusted at the nails sites", does that mean the threaded screw holes? BMW updated the part, it looks like they got rid of the metal screw hole bungs and now just have plastic that uses a automotive-use course thread screw.

To prevent rust issues, I use stainless steel hardware for mounting license plates on my BMWs. Learned that lesson long long ago.
Somebody built a whole website on the topic of BMW license plate screws and it really amused me.

https://www.e92n55.com/2017/05/how-t...late-hardware/
Appreciate 1
Mike K332.00
      10-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayk90 View Post
Somebody built a whole website on the topic of BMW license plate screws and it really amused me.

Wow, such detail. I'm an industrial engineer by education, so threaded fasteners are kinda a geek hobby for me. But that website is a bit of overkill on the subject matter. Lol.

Most license plates are stamped aluminum nowadays, galvanic reaction between iron fasteners and aluminum promote corrosion on the fastener, which is why I switched to stainless some 30 years ago. Thanks for posting the link.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
mxtm
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

I had to replace mine (when I bought the car I had to yank off the original BMW one and the plate) and ended up just using a generic one from Advance Auto Parts for ~$10 with some washers to make sure the bracket was held in tight. I tried to buy a BMW-like one from Amazon which arrived yesterday and the screws didn't even go in tight...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #8
kart23
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Quote:

This is the kinda stuff I love. Somehow my license plate screws are different colors, I think some fresh screws are in my future.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:24 AM   #9
BMW NEWB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Stubborn License Plate Screws

I got a snappy new license plate after registering at the DMZ in Florida yesterday and was really excited to install the new plate so I could be legally compliant (out of state plates have expired). I thought, "Four phillips screws - this will be quick and easy!" After 15 minutes of watching the screws whirl around, but not unscrew, I was about to rip the entire plate assembly off the car. Fortunately, mty wife suggested we just go to happy hour instead. She is wise...

This morning I've been scouring Google for insight into how to remove the screws - preferably without using a crowbar to rip off the entire assembly. Not finding anything - all the videos show folks screwing on new plates, but they neglect to cover the removal process. Any tips for the removal process?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:

That's quite the deep dive! The whole site is an ode to their beloved 335i!
Love it!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NEWB View Post
I got a snappy new license plate after registering at the DMZ in Florida yesterday
Good luck in the Florida Demilitarized Zone. I hear it's hell down there what with the stray artillery shells from behind the combatants lines and roving bands of marauders.
      07-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #12
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NEWB View Post
I got a snappy new license plate after registering at the DMZ in Florida yesterday and was really excited to install the new plate so I could be legally compliant (out of state plates have expired). I thought, "Four phillips screws - this will be quick and easy!" After 15 minutes of watching the screws whirl around, but not unscrew, I was about to rip the entire plate assembly off the car. Fortunately, mty wife suggested we just go to happy hour instead. She is wise...

This morning I've been scouring Google for insight into how to remove the screws - preferably without using a crowbar to rip off the entire assembly. Not finding anything - all the videos show folks screwing on new plates, but they neglect to cover the removal process. Any tips for the removal process?
Can you destroy the plate that's on there? If you can there are 2 screws that bolt the bracket to the deck lid.

I did this with my temp plate recently. I bought a "license plate kit" from oreilys. It was like $4, it's basically 4 square plastic grommet things. I marked and drilled the deck lid and squared out the holes with a square file. Popped in the grommets and put put on the plate.

There are 3 reasons I did it this way.
1) it was faster, don't have to go to BMW, and could get it done that night (I'm impatient).
2) it was cheaper, the cost was 1/2 of what the gas would have cost just to go get it. (Admittedly the cost was the least concern.)
3) the stock bracket has 2 mounting and vibrates A LOT! Especially if I have the bass turned up. This has 4 points of attachment and has no vibration noise (the most important).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 03:09 PM   #13
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan50 View Post
I did this with my temp plate recently. I bought a "license plate kit" from oreilys. It was like $4, it's basically 4 square plastic grommet things. I marked and drilled the deck lid and squared out the holes with a square file. Popped in the grommets and put put on the plate.
Ok... this made me cringe. Why didn't you just do that to the license plate bracket?

I've had bad brackets on both the wife's and my car.

But you cut off the plastic square on the back, pop the "nut" out, drill it and cut the square out. Pop new license plate grommets into place, put a little 3m tape on the back with the skin still on onside to protect the paint and done.

I had to cut the new screws down by 1/4" to keep them from being too long. But the whole process just took me less than 20 minutes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 12:07 AM   #14
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

As stated I did it because the bracket only has 2 mounting points to the deck lid and vibrates. Now it doesn't.

What I don't understand is why does mounting a license plate like 95% of manufactures make you cringe? Because it's not the "BMW way"?

We basically did the exact same thing except mine I don't have to worry about vibrating.
Appreciate 0