E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine splash pad/front underbelly lose when driving and flapping noise.

10-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Moodymeandyou
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW '07 328i

Engine splash pad/front underbelly lose when driving and flapping noise.

Hi! I'm at the side of the highway right now pulled over. I was going about 90 and heard a loud flapping noise in the front of my car, thought maybe my bumper came off. Pulled over looked under the car, and the front part of the underbelly is no longer attached to the tabs on the front bumper. I tried to push it underneath the bumper so it will at least not hand down. No luck—since I keep driving and once I get over 50mph, the flapping noise comes back.

I'm currently waiting for my dad to come and meet me (about 40 minutes out). What's the best thing I should do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Daaaaaaaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodymeandyou View Post
Hi! I'm at the side of the highway right now pulled over. I was going about 90 and heard a loud flapping noise in the front of my car, thought maybe my bumper came off. Pulled over looked under the car, and the front part of the underbelly is no longer attached to the tabs on the front bumper. I tried to push it underneath the bumper so it will at least not hand down. No luck—since I keep driving and once I get over 50mph, the flapping noise comes back.

I'm currently waiting for my dad to come and meet me (about 40 minutes out). What's the best thing I should do?
Can probably continue driving but limit your speed (if you're experiencing this at 90mph, keep it under 45?), but it's definitely drawing in air and that's pushing down on it and tearing more bolts off. Keep in mind it's not just your speed that matters, but also how much wind you're pushing against.

Looks like your vehicle has gone over a lot with the red scraping, and that impacts the splash guard.

Not sure where your radiator cover is which should also be attached at the front there.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic03.jpg

When you get somewhere with jacks/ramps, take it all off and inspect. The splashguards all crack eventually in my experience where I am (problem is driving over ice/snow that can accumulate on roads), but scooping air down like that will just lead to further breakage.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...d_Removing.htm

Probably need to replace the splashguard and maybe radiator cover, check your local e90 FB groups for someone parting out their car and grab it.

I don't think you'll be able to push it back in without taking it off since it slides in. Question is how did it get pulled out and is front bumper ok (Did someone almost make it in trying to back up over something that clipped the front bumper and caused splash guard to fall out?)

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic01.jpg

Last edited by Daaaaaaaan; 10-11-2020 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Looks like a few screws fell out. There looks like damage too. Get some duct tape for a temp fix untill you get under it to replace/repair it.
Appreciate 0