E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 335i RWD

10-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
drymite
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i/06 323i/09 323i/07 335

07 335i RWD

so i jus bought a n54 its 210k km i already have 2 other E90S n52 still running. I only grabbed this car because it was priced at 3500$.. Ofcourse i was already skeptical that it was fucked up or somtime of gig or scam because i already encountered that in the GTA..

So the vehicle is at 210k km it has no engine lights. I scanned it for deeper codes nothing. Its mint. No rattle on cold start it or smoke ... it drives like a beauty.. the guy who sold me was only doing it because his wife wants him to get a minivan.. which turned out to be a true story.
All i read is how ass this whip is in reliability my n52s came out really reliable one is at 312k km and still running like new. What should i look for in the n54 i really enjoy driving this whip.. are my turbos gonna go soon since its at 200k km
How much would it cost to change these turbos in 2020. I dont mind spending 5 bills on hpfp and like 2.5 k on turbo replacement thats given with hm power this car is capable. But im not down with 6-9 k repair for a turbo... i know the RWD is easier or what i read and seen on diy vids.
I showed it to my mechanic he says its a very clean car.
Should i jus flip this whip for more cash or i really enjoy the whip i jus dont wanna have a constant hood open cuz this shit is crappin out everywhere.
Any one bought or have one with similar milage that can shed sum light ?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Either be wealthy or a car guy that enjoys working on his vehicle if you want to own an n54.

To me it's all worth it for the driving experience.
Appreciate 2
Lucky1650.00
Biginboca3767.50
      10-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drymite View Post
so i jus bought a n54 its 210k km i already have 2 other E90S n52 still running. I only grabbed this car because it was priced at 3500$.. Ofcourse i was already skeptical that it was fucked up or somtime of gig or scam because i already encountered that in the GTA..

So the vehicle is at 210k km it has no engine lights. I scanned it for deeper codes nothing. Its mint. No rattle on cold start it or smoke ... it drives like a beauty.. the guy who sold me was only doing it because his wife wants him to get a minivan.. which turned out to be a true story.
All i read is how ass this whip is in reliability my n52s came out really reliable one is at 312k km and still running like new. What should i look for in the n54 i really enjoy driving this whip.. are my turbos gonna go soon since its at 200k km
How much would it cost to change these turbos in 2020. I dont mind spending 5 bills on hpfp and like 2.5 k on turbo replacement thats given with hm power this car is capable. But im not down with 6-9 k repair for a turbo... i know the RWD is easier or what i read and seen on diy vids.
Should i jus flip this whip for more cash or i really enjoy the whip i jus dont wanna have a constant hood open cuz this shit is crappin out everywhere.
Probably the first thing I would do is change all of the fluids & filters out.

1) transmission fluid & pan filter
2) oil & filter (5w-40) LL-01
3) Pwr Steering fluid & reservoir
4) coolant + new O-rings through out
5) differential fluid
6) brake fluid

Next -

Intake valve cleaning

Install BMS catch can & Rob Beck PCV valve & cap; also change out the PCV breather hose & one way valve.

Next -

New OEM plugs & Eldor Coils

I'd maybe look into putting a new LPFP & updated sensor. At 200+ km, it probably hasn't been changed out if the car was strictly a DD. So, it will be weak at WOT to be sure.

Next -

Install new Belts & pulleys

New platinum cured vac lines

N54 common leaks

1) OFHG
2) VC
3) OPG
4) megatronic transmission seal
5) RMS
6) Front Crank Seal

Next -

Water pump & thermostat - you need to figure out when this was done. They are only good for 75,000 miles on average. Do this PROACTIVELY, or YOU WILL eventually get stranded. Personally, I'd buy the parts in advance and sit them on your shelf maybe at the 70,000 mile mark. Otherwise, you will pay premium $$ for the parts & shipping.

Last -

Engine & Trans mounts
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3767.50
      10-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
drymite
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i/06 323i/09 323i/07 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drymite View Post

Probably the first thing I would do is change all of the fluids & filters out.

1) transmission fluid & pan filter
2) oil & filter (5w-40) LL-01
3) Pwr Steering fluid & reservoir
4) coolant + new O-rings through out
5) differential fluid
6) brake fluid

Next -

Intake valve cleaning

Install BMS catch can & Rob Beck PCV valve & cap; also change out the PCV breather hose & one way valve.

Next -

New OEM plugs & Eldor Coils

I'd maybe look into putting a new LPFP & updated sensor. At 200+ km, it probably hasn't been changed out if the car was strictly a DD. So, it will be weak at WOT to be sure.

Next -

Install new Belts & pulleys

New platinum cured vac lines

N54 common leaks

1) OFHG
2) VC
3) OPG
4) megatronic transmission seal
5) RMS
6) Front Crank Seal

Next -

Water pump & thermostat - you need to figure out when this was done. They are only good for 75,000 miles on average. Do this PROACTIVELY, or YOU WILL eventually get stranded. Personally, I'd buy the parts in advance and sit them on your shelf maybe at the 70,000 mile mark. Otherwise, you will pay premium $$ for the parts & shipping.

Last -

Engine & Trans mounts
Ok thanks bro... i already done half the stuff listed ill definitely look into the thermostat and water pump..
your reply is much appreciated 💯💯
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

Agree with the previous statements! In my experience at least, the turbos are usually more of an annoyance than an outright failure as they start to go bad. I did mine myself and it was maybe $1500 in parts including all the "while I'm in there anyway" stuff.

It's a great car! I've had my 2008 335i since 2011 and absolutely love it. So much so I talked my wife into getting one as well
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
You're overthinking it if the turbos are not abused when the engine is cold they will last for a very long time, you'll likely have wastegate rattle way before the turbos shit the bed at all. Most of the issues you will have from my experience will be misfires from injectors/coils and maybe hpfp in the future. It might sound weird but buying a high km N54 is the best way to go about those cars as most things have been replaced.

Always good to have other cars to rely on if it does break down though it seems this car you bought was priced cheap to just sell it fast.. guys that end up being their wives pets I got my e46 for 1500 because the guy wanted a down payment for a jeep for his wife lol
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

Just because. I got a junk yard turbo with 90k on it for $245 in the gta. Zero rattle 0 shaft play. If u can diy not to expensive to keep her running
Appreciate 0