E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N53 E92 325i 2010

10-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
Lala96
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 325i -2010

N53 E92 325i 2010

Hi! i'm in desperate need of help.
My car is experiencing misfires during acceleration.
The car is otherwise driving well, i'm not experiencing rough idle or engine light.
The injectors were changed last year at 51k miles. Car atm is 62k miles.
I've read a lot of forums, but i'm yet to come across one with no fault codes.
I took it to the dealership and the mechanic told me it seemed like valve cover gasket leak into the ignition coils and plugs. He however said "that's where i'd start (atleast)", didn't sound too convincing considering the hefty repair costs. I keep thinking about what if it turns out to be those injectors again, wouldn't be fun on top of those repairs.
Any help is appreciated,
thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Have you got INPA and/or ISTA? N53 has a pretty extensive diagnostic capabilities so if you get to grips with that you'll save yourself a lot of time and money. It could also be a number of things but that does sound likely - oil getting into the coils would end their life prematurely and ~50k is about the end of their life anyway.

Change the coils and plugs is easy so you can try that yourself, obviously clean any oil before pulling the plugs. Then if the car drives well you'll know if it's worth doing the valve cover gasket. That's also DIY'able if you have the patience.
Appreciate 1
Lala960.00
      10-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
mxtm
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala96 View Post
Hi! i'm in desperate need of help.
My car is experiencing misfires during acceleration.
The car is otherwise driving well, i'm not experiencing rough idle or engine light.
The injectors were changed last year at 51k miles. Car atm is 62k miles.
I've read a lot of forums, but i'm yet to come across one with no fault codes.
I took it to the dealership and the mechanic told me it seemed like valve cover gasket leak into the ignition coils and plugs. He however said "that's where i'd start (atleast)", didn't sound too convincing considering the hefty repair costs. I keep thinking about what if it turns out to be those injectors again, wouldn't be fun on top of those repairs.
Any help is appreciated,
thanks in advance!
I had a similar issue on my N54 with no saved fault codes and the car going in to limp mode (the half filled engine icon showing on the instrument cluster display) and it was coils and plugs. Dealer did it for almost $2k. Wish I did it myself.
Appreciate 1
Lala960.00
      10-21-2020, 03:15 AM   #4
Lala96
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 325i -2010

First of all, sorry for not responding.
I was away for a few days, but I thought I should post an update.
Your inputs were much appreciated!
The issue seems to have been fixed after cleaning the apparent oil leak, changing the valve cover gasket and spark plugs. The car is no longer misfiring and is running a lot better. Finger crossed that it's the proper solution.
Appreciate 0