E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Positive Parts Experience

10-14-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Positive Parts Experience

Just wanted to post about a positive experience I've recently had with Koni struts, and in particular, their lifetime warranty.

With 104K miles (6 years) on a set of Koni (yellow) sport struts/shocks, I knew that these things were pretty much toast. That was confirmed when one of the rear shocks literally blew out - the top of the shock came unwelded from the tube and thus the car was riding solely on the spring. Naturally, that inspired my lazy ass to park the car and get busy actually replacing all 4 corners. I knew that these things definitely had a lifetime warranty for the original owner, so I contacted Koni NA and started the warranty process.

The process is basically one where they inspect your failed part(s) and then replace them. I guess the inspection is to insure that you didn't do something that caused damage to the strut...but clearly in my case I'd just driven the heck out of them and wore them out. Anyway, since I didn't want to remove all 4 corners and send them to KY (where Koni NA is) and wait to get replacements sent...which would probably be a couple of weeks with the car disabled...I opted for their process where they sell you replacements at wholesale and then credit you for the purchase once they eventually get your failed stuff to inspect. Still, this process took over a week for me since apparently the parts for my car (8740s for the front and 8240s for the rear) were backordered from Holland. Nevertheless, they did send me new struts in about a week and I was then back on the road (meanwhile having ordered the rest of the parts - mounts, etc. - from FCP so that everything was here at the same time for the install) in a week.

I did have to pay for shipping to send them the old parts (that ended up being my only expense aside from the mounting hardware), but once they got the stuff, it was less than 24 hours before they sent me notification that they were indeed covering all 4 corners and my cc will be credited.

In my case, both rears were completely dead. One front was dead. But since I'd had all of struts for over 5 years, their warranty also replaced the one front that hadn't entirely died. Hence, 4 new struts.

I've been happy with these Konis. They were an upgrade to the sports suspension my car had when new. They lasted as long as anyone could expect a strut to last, particularly here in New England with our awful roads and 1/3 of the year salting....and cost nothing (other than time/effort and consumables) to replace. All in all an excellent deal, and it's always a pleasure when a company stands behind its products. I have nothing to gain from reporting this story other than to pass along a positive experience to the community.

(fwiw, if any of your want to try this kind of warranty claim, you DO need to have your original proof of purchase...thank god I still had the email receipt, especially since I bought them from the now-defunct BavAuto...and you do need to be the original purchaser. But other than that, piece of cake.)
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Wow that's really awesome, I didn't know struts could have a lifetime warranty aside from the FCP Lifetime Replacement on everything they sell. Will definitely keep this in the back of my mind next time I need suspension parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Good to hear and know! I believe I got mine off Amazon so I should still have proof If I ever need/decide to go this route. Think I might go to a nice set of coil overs when these go though
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #4
thormessiah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Good to hear and know! I believe I got mine off Amazon so I should still have proof If I ever need/decide to go this route. Think I might go to a nice set of coil overs when these go though
I got mine off amazon as well but do not love them... most likely I’ll go a b different route. It’s cool they back up their warranty claim tho
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
M-technik-3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Both Bilstein and Koni do back up their warranty. The last time I had Bilstein do warranty , I had them revalve my rear to match another set of springs I had and they were happy to do it for a charge.
Appreciate 0