E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another E90 steering wheel retrofit

10-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
bavarian77
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335D, 2009 E92 328i

Another E90 steering wheel retrofit

Hi all,

I know this retrofit has been talked about over and over again and I have read the multiple posts many times before deciding to post my situation. I was hoping to find my answer in one of those post, but I am still confused. So please bare with me and know that I appreciate any input you guys may have.

What I have:

- 2011 335D with non-sport wheel.
I want to retrofit the wheel and bought a complete sport with pre LCI paddles and MF buttons. The MF buttons are NOT the #61319123287 that BurgerMotorsport advises to use for this retrofit.

-the harness that plugs into the front of the clock spring into the 6pin connector had all 6 slots populated. Most folks here had empty slots #4 and #6.

What I did so far:

- I ran wires from the back of the wheel (#2 and #4) to the gear selector (#2 and #3, the two in the middle out of the 4 wires in the blue harness). The 2 yellow wires (#2 and #4) from the back of the clockspring were clipped about 1 inch and a half from the harness and I soldered my own wires to the leftover ones in the harness. The other side of the yellow wires I insulted and tucked away, although I read of people who ran those wires in parallel with the new harness (so they did not clip them, they just added their 2 wires to the existing 2 yellow ones). Since I donĀ’t know where the yellow ones were going from the clockspring, I did not want to take a chance and leave them as per of the circuit.

What I need to know:

- since the harness that plugs in front of the clockspring has all 6 slots populated, how do I proceed from here?

I know that I need to create a wiring from the MF buttons. But I am unsure if I have to clip/cut the existing wires going into #4 and #6 to the clockspring. Some say that since all six slots on the black connector coming from the MF buttons and that inserts into the clock spring harness, since all these slots are populated, then my paddles are prewired and should be good to go. Some say not.

Really, I’m confused and I’d appreciate some help.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
bavarian77
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335D, 2009 E92 328i

Here are couple of pics of the wheel with the 6wire connector from the buttons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0