F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Need some advice
Extreme Powerhouse

11-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Llamabeast
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
Need some advice

So let me start this off by saying this is the first car, I've ever started to build so a lot of first for me.
My next step in the build would be forged internals, transmission, Speedtech s3/4. My main concern is the transmission.
I daily the car so I still want some drivability. I have seen a lot of talk about the 550, and AT transmissions, but nothing on sequential.
What could hold and be reliable at the 600-750 whp mark while leaving wiggle room for more power.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamabeast View Post
So let me start this off by saying this is the first car, I've ever started to build so a lot of first for me.
My next step in the build would be forged internals, transmission, Speedtech s3/4. My main concern is the transmission.
I daily the car so I still want some drivability. I have seen a lot of talk about the 550, and AT transmissions, but nothing on sequential.
What could hold and be reliable at the 600-750 whp mark while leaving wiggle room for more power.
Soooo do you know what you are getting yourself into here? It sounds like you have grand build plans, but do you know what they are going to entail in terms of effort and money? Are you talking about swapping a sequential trans into an F30 or do you mean the DCT? What you are proposing is a serious build and although any build can be used as a daily i suggest you reconsider if you want to go down this rabbit hole with a car that you need as a daily. It will be down for a substantial amount of time just for a built motor, transmission considerations aside.
Appreciate 1
harkes1088.50
      11-04-2020, 12:40 AM   #3
Llamabeast
Rep

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Soooo do you know what you are getting yourself into here? It sounds like you have grand build plans, but do you know what they are going to entail in terms of effort and money? Are you talking about swapping a sequential trans into an F30 or do you mean the DCT? What you are proposing is a serious build and although any build can be used as a daily i suggest you reconsider if you want to go down this rabbit hole with a car that you need as a daily. It will be down for a substantial amount of time just for a built motor, transmission considerations aside.
Yes I have rough estimate for parts/effort that's the reason why I'm asking about transmissions.
Because swapping in a sequential trans is a lot more money then going with the other 2 options.
Just trying to get as much info as I can before pulling the trigger.
I am weighing if I should stay with the build or sell and start with a better baseline car and build it.
And yes I know the car will be down for build times its fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #4
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Buy a better baseline car. I am confident that will be cheaper. Period.

PS: On a side note. If 600whp is the goal (and NOT 750) then stay on the F30 platform and limit the torque to max 500 ft lb. 750whp - switch platform.
      11-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamabeast View Post
Yes I have rough estimate for parts/effort that's the reason why I'm asking about transmissions.
Because swapping in a sequential trans is a lot more money then going with the other 2 options.
Just trying to get as much info as I can before pulling the trigger.
I am weighing if I should stay with the build or sell and start with a better baseline car and build it.
And yes I know the car will be down for build times its fine.
I agree with getter a better baseline car. If you are going to stick to the 3/4 series platform, at least get a S55 M3/4, do the crank hub fix, and you can make 600s whp with stock motor/turbos and transmission. With the f3x you are also going to end up spending more money on things like LSD and probably suspension, etc.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Llamabeast
Rep

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
Thank you both for the replies, and yes on the suspension part was a pretty penny.
Appreciate 0