F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Build help
ARMA SPEED

11-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
MasonP95
Rep
Drives: 2010 323i

Build help

I have a 2012 335I new to me low mileage, and I’m wondering on opinions on what mods I should do. I don’t plan on running a fuel mixture and I know that will hinder performance but my goal is 400WHP so I far I’ve only done CTS turbo CP I play on buying CTS IC and high flow DP as they offer a military discount.
Any advice will be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Step 1 is to come to terms with the fact that you wont reach 400whp with stock PWG turbo, and decide if you are willing to invest the time/money to go turbo upgrade. If rather you want to set aside your number goal and enjoy the car without a turbo upgrade, your best bet is basically do IC+CP+DP as you said you are and run a OTS pump gas map for those mods. You'll probably be around 350whp depending on fuel quality, etc. Keep it simple and reliable.

And clarify, does not running a fuel mixture mean you wont run WMI either?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
MasonP95
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Step 1 is to come to terms with the fact that you wont reach 400whp with stock PWG turbo, and decide if you are willing to invest the time/money to go turbo upgrade. If rather you want to set aside your number goal and enjoy the car without a turbo upgrade, your best bet is basically do IC+CP+DP as you said you are and run a OTS pump gas map for those mods. You'll probably be around 350whp depending on fuel quality, etc. Keep it simple and reliable.

And clarify, does not running a fuel mixture mean you wont run WMI either?
I do plan on a turbo swap down the line probably when I’m done my terms of service next year and I have more free time. someone is actually selling PS2 bms intake and a few other goodies for 3kcdn including install but I’m unsure if I want the power of the PS2 and doing a stg 1 and by WMI do you mean meth?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonP95 View Post
I do plan on a turbo swap down the line probably when I’m done my terms of service next year and I have more free time. someone is actually selling PS2 bms intake and a few other goodies for 3kcdn including install but I’m unsure if I want the power of the PS2 and doing a stg 1 and by WMI do you mean meth?
OK.

Yes, WMI = water meth injection. From what i have seen, Canada can have pretty bad fuel quality, although that may not apply in your area.

Also, just because you run a PS2 doesn't mean you need to max it out... you can easily run less power and just not work the turbo as hard. Of course, you can also get a lower 'stage' turbo if you want to keep it as small as possible, but then you will just have to work it harder. For 400whp you will basically need EWG-size turbo (operating pertty hard), and depending on fuel quality, WMI. Then the typical IC+CP+DP, and i would do an inlet (MSTv2 my recommendation) if you are doing turbo for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
MasonP95
Rep

Quote:
OK.

Yes, WMI = water meth injection. From what i have seen, Canada can have pretty bad fuel quality, although that may not apply in your area.

Also, just because you run a PS2 doesn't mean you need to max it out... you can easily run less power and just not work the turbo as hard. Of course, you can also get a lower 'stage' turbo if you want to keep it as small as possible, but then you will just have to work it harder. For 400whp you will basically need EWG-size turbo (operating pertty hard), and depending on fuel quality, WMI. Then the typical IC+CP+DP, and i would do an inlet (MSTv2 my recommendation) if you are doing turbo for sure.
I’m still unsure about meth but I’m putting it into consideration. Ik for sure I’m doing the DP and FMIC before the year ends then stage 2 BM3. I decided to skip BM3 until I have what’s needed for stage 2 rather then having to buy an additional map in the next two months. And I’ll most definitely do a inlet before I decide on what turbo to go for I’m between dinans big turbo and pure
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I’m still unsure about meth but I’m putting it into consideration. Ik for sure I’m doing the DP and FMIC before the year ends then stage 2 BM3. I decided to skip BM3 until I have what’s needed for stage 2 rather then having to buy an additional map in the next two months. And I’ll most definitely do a inlet before I decide on what turbo to go for I’m between dinans big turbo and pure
Well then you essentially just need to do research on those two and decide on what turbo you want. The main considerations for a lower 'stage' turbo if your power goals are modest are keeping the turbo as small as possible for throttle response and simplifying the install if its cold-side only. It will also be easier to make more power on a larger turbo, especially if you dont end up wanting to do meth. If your fuel quality is poor, you might struggle to make 400whp with a smaller turbo, but be able to make it with only pump gas and no meth on something like a ps2.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
MasonP95
Rep

Quote:
Well then you essentially just need to do research on those two and decide on what turbo you want. The main considerations for a lower 'stage' turbo if your power goals are modest are keeping the turbo as small as possible for throttle response and simplifying the install if its cold-side only. It will also be easier to make more power on a larger turbo, especially if you dont end up wanting to do meth. If your fuel quality is poor, you might struggle to make 400whp with a smaller turbo, but be able to make it with only pump gas and no meth on something like a ps2.
Thanks a lot Jeremy you brought good points that I’m going to take into consideration I think I’ll lean to PS2 as it’s only a few hundred more but incase I do want to amp it up I’ll be able too!. For now my big consideration is on what DP I’m going to get as it’s the next mod on my laundry list to get
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot Jeremy you brought good points that I’m going to take into consideration I think I’ll lean to PS2 as it’s only a few hundred more but incase I do want to amp it up I’ll be able too!. For now my big consideration is on what DP I’m going to get as it’s the next mod on my laundry list to get
There's a couple recent posts/thread on CTS catted. IIRC they were positive reviews. If you don't have emissions concerns that could be a simple option since they are in Canada and you are already going with them. Their catless is probably fine too... so just decided catted or catless and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #9
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I have a 2012 335I new to me low mileage, and I’m wondering on opinions on what mods I should do. I don’t plan on running a fuel mixture and I know that will hinder performance but my goal is 400WHP so I far I’ve only done CTS turbo CP I play on buying CTS IC and high flow DP as they offer a military discount.
Any advice will be appreciated
The CTS IC is ‘too small’ for Stage 2. It’s a 5/5.5” core. If you’re looking for 400whp, plan on doing a HPFP and the BM3 Stage 2+ Which is over 400whp+

My recommendation:
MST/Pure Turbo inlet (this will allow your turbo to work more efficiently)
Turbosmart diverter valve (the stock version is pretty weak, and BMW saw fit to use an higher capacity version on the M2)
Dorch Stage 1 or 2 - depending on if you’re upgrading the turbo, stage 2 would provide more headroom.
Downpipe - AA/Fabspeed if you need to pass emissions, otherwise any catted is as good as another
VRSF Race/Wagner Evo 3/VRSF competition- from best to least. the biggest ICs out there would keep your AITs and more consistent power. The VRSF stuff is cheap and it works
XHP software - I drive a manual so I don’t really care - but guys swear by it.

Edit - Recommendations are for EWG, I'm sorry.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 11-10-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #10
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Again, this setup is good for over 400whp* peak on a stock turbo, and more than 380whp* at 6500rpm.

You also want to consider what you want to do with the car. You’ll still need these same mod even if you decide to go PS2 or larger.

*numbers not fully verified.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:07 AM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
The CTS IC is ‘too small’ for Stage 2. It’s a 5/5.5” core. If you’re looking for 400whp, plan on doing a HPFP and the BM3 Stage 2+ Which is over 400whp+

My recommendation:
MST/Pure Turbo inlet (this will allow your turbo to work more efficiently)
Turbosmart diverter valve (the stock version is pretty weak, and BMW saw fit to use an higher capacity version on the M2)
Dorch Stage 1 or 2 - depending on if you’re upgrading the turbo, stage 2 would provide more headroom.
Downpipe - AA/Fabspeed if you need to pass emissions, otherwise any catted is as good as another
VRSF Race/Wagner Evo 3/VRSF competition- from best to least. the biggest ICs out there would keep your AITs and more consistent power. The VRSF stuff is cheap and it works
XHP software - I drive a manual so I don’t really care - but guys swear by it.
This is a typical build list for a EWG who wants to do fueling upgrades... but OP is PWG and doesn't want to do fueling upgrades lol. Hence why i recommended a different approach.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
MasonP95
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Again, this setup is good for over 400whp* peak on a stock turbo, and more than 380whp* at 6500rpm.

You also want to consider what you want to do with the car. You’ll still need these same mod even if you decide to go PS2 or larger.

*numbers not fully verified.
The VRSF comp IC is reasonably priced but is the hpfp Necessary if I’m only going to run 91 as it’s all I’ll be able to get when I’m back on base?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The VRSF comp IC is reasonably priced but is the hpfp Necessary if I’m only going to run 91 as it’s all I’ll be able to get when I’m back on base?
On pump gas the stock fuel system can in theory support 400whp with a PS2, but the question is going to be the quality/octane of your fuel. You might be octane limited before you are fuel flow limited.

You can read my post here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1769353&page=2
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2315.00
      11-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is a typical build list for a EWG who wants to do fueling upgrades... but OP is PWG and doesn't want to do fueling upgrades lol. Hence why i recommended a different approach.
Ahh, I missed that.
      11-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #15
MasonP95
Rep

Quote:
On pump gas the stock fuel system can in theory support 400whp with a PS2, but the question is going to be the quality/octane of your fuel. You might be octane limited before you are fuel flow limited.

You can read my post here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1769353&page=2
So from what I seen on your post is that it really determines on the grade of fuel I’ll be using unless I decide to run WMI it won’t truly be worth the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So from what I seen on your post is that it really determines on the grade of fuel I’ll be using unless I decide to run WMI it won’t truly be worth the upgrade?
The take home message is that you will almost certainly run out of octane before you run out of fuel flow capability with the stock HPFP if you are only running 91 pump gas. So if that's what you are stuck with, HPFP upgrade is probably not the best path forward. WMI will give you both extra octane and extra fuel.

After you install your IC+CP+DP and go to stage 2 OTS map, you can decide what you want to do next. You can either install the PS2 and run a 91 map and see how it feels, or you can install the WMI on stock turbo and try running a higher octane map to get some more power out of the stock turbo. Since the PS2 install doesnt really overlap with WMI install, you can really do either one first.
Appreciate 0