F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Need advice
GetBMWParts

12-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
F1 fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3 all options. Sold

Need advice

My wife has a 2017 340xdrive msport with the track handling package, adaptive steering and edc.
I want to do a subtle drop, but most importantly a good comfortable ride.
I have trolled the threads and I get confused every time I do.
So the question is. Do I do a set of eibach springs and if so would I get the dinan bumpstop kit? Or is that not needed? Or, do I get some edc delete modules and do the koni sport kit with eibach springs? Not really looking for coilovers, but any input would be appreciated from someone who is in the know that has some seat time with a comfortable suspension. Thanks in advance.
The car stays in the softest setting for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 fan View Post
My wife has a 2017 340xdrive msport with the track handling package, adaptive steering and edc.
I want to do a subtle drop, but most importantly a good comfortable ride.
I have trolled the threads and I get confused every time I do.
So the question is. Do I do a set of eibach springs and if so would I get the dinan bumpstop kit? Or is that not needed? Or, do I get some edc delete modules and do the koni sport kit with eibach springs? Not really looking for coilovers, but any input would be appreciated from someone who is in the know that has some seat time with a comfortable suspension. Thanks in advance.
The car stays in the softest setting for the most part.
Never do EDC delete. That's just throwing away high tech that you paid for.

With the xDrive just get the Eibach springs. They are mild so they won't make the ride harsh. And they drop the front more than rear to get rid of some xDrive reverse rake. I don't believe that you need new bump stops. I didn't. If you were dropping twice as much then I'd use the F80 bump stops. Dinan is a ripoff. They are just reselling BMW bump stops at a massive up charge.

If you ever need EDC replacements get Bilstein B6 Damptronics. If you ever want coilovers Bilstein makes a B16 DampTronic
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5921.00
      12-17-2020, 12:52 AM   #3
F1 fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3 all options. Sold

Thanks for the advice. I respect your opinion based on what I’ve seen you post. That’s the route I wanted to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

With the xDrive just get the Eibach springs. They are mild so they won't make the ride harsh. And they drop the front more than rear to get rid of some xDrive reverse rake. I don't believe that you need new bump stops. I didn't. If you were dropping twice as much then I'd use the F80 bump stops. Dinan is a ripoff. They are just reselling BMW bump stops at a massive up charge.

If you ever need EDC replacements get Bilstein B6 Damptronics. If you ever want coilovers Bilstein makes a B16 DampTronic
Great advice from johnung as always.

What are your goals while describing a comfortable ride?

Comfort is a subjective measure, just like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

In suspension behavior terms, there are mainly two contributors to how comfort is perceived: compression and rebound.

Rapid compression cycle absorbs road imperfections while rapid rebound cycle returns suspension to proper position while maintaining traction.

The compression and rebound characteristics of the shock must match the compression and extension characteristics of the spring. That's why certain combinations of aftermarket shocks / springs are less effective than others. Coilovers solve this problem.

Stiffer springs have a shorter range of travel, requiring less rebound or compression control. Softer-rated springs (F30 xDrive suspensions have softer springs) undergo longer and more frequent compression and rebound cycles, in turn asking the shock absorber to work harder.

It's important to note that EDC based suspensions are difficult to tune because there are basically 2 settings: Comfort and Sport.

Bilstein EDC-compatible shocks and coilovers provide their own version of Comfort and Sport, where Comfort is closer to OEM Sport and Sport is "planted like on on rails".
Appreciate 1
johnung4537.00
      12-17-2020, 12:16 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Great advice from johnung as always.

What are your goals while describing a comfortable ride?

Comfort is a subjective measure, just like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

In suspension behavior terms, there are mainly two contributors to how comfort is perceived: compression and rebound.

Rapid compression cycle absorbs road imperfections while rapid rebound cycle returns suspension to proper position while maintaining traction.

The compression and rebound characteristics of the shock must match the compression and extension characteristics of the spring. That's why certain combinations of aftermarket shocks / springs are less effective than others. Coilovers solve this problem.

Stiffer springs have a shorter range of travel, requiring less rebound or compression control. Softer-rated springs (F30 xDrive suspensions have softer springs) undergo longer and more frequent compression and rebound cycles, in turn asking the shock absorber to work harder.

It's important to note that EDC based suspensions are difficult to tune because there are basically 2 settings: Comfort and Sport.

Bilstein EDC-compatible shocks and coilovers provide their own version of Comfort and Sport, where Comfort is closer to OEM Sport and Sport is "planted like on on rails".
Great stuff!
I agree with you on comfort. Everyone focuses on shocks and springs. But when I ditched runflat tires for summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in an upgraded width, it probably removed at least half of the harshness in the stock BMW suspension.

Suspension can be the trickiest thing to tune. There are so many interacting components that it's so important to understand what each does and what the options really. Just slapping parts on without a coherent plan often does not obtain the desired result.

FaRKle! Is the suspension guru. His stuff is gold. This is a pretty cool video of his...

Appreciate 0