E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > windows pillar thing

10-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #1
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
windows pillar thing

umm being over zealous with scrubbing one day i managed to scratch the black plastic strip between the moving window and rear window, the vertical gloss black strip by the edge of the both front windows. and one know how much these are to replace ?
      10-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zk1 View Post
umm being over zealous with scrubbing one day i managed to scratch the black plastic strip between the moving window and rear window, the vertical gloss black strip by the edge of the both front windows. and one know how much these are to replace ?
Hi Zk1,

I know what you mean - I scratched mine slightly (doing the same thing) but I didn't replace them.

Depends how deep the scratches are but you may be able to polish them out and this was what I did. Use a proper microfine polish - something like 3M Finesse (or similar) - you might even try the stuff you can buy to remove scratches from plastic watch glasses.

My advice would be to try this first - only replace them if you have to as sometimes replacing a trim can cause more problems than it solves.

HTH

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Zk1
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
scuffed trim

hi mark thanks ,

I havent tried to really polish it out, but It would bug me knowing it's like that
I really want to get the thing replaced. I will try the polish as an interim solution though.. thanks.
      10-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zk1 View Post
hi mark thanks ,

I havent tried to really polish it out, but It would bug me knowing it's like that
I really want to get the thing replaced. I will try the polish as an interim solution though.. thanks.
If the scratch isn't deep enough to catch your finger nail in, then it should polish out fine with a bit of elbow grease and the right polish but if you can catch your nail then you'll probably have to get them changed.

Just a word of caution: I don't know how easy removing this trim is but some are easy to fit at the factory but can be a real mare to get off later. Based on my past experience of having trim replaced at a main dealer, I'd say take some pics of the area before you get them changed - I had some trims done on my Alpina (where the black window trim sits on the 3/4 panel) and the muppet fitting them managed to scratch my paint whilst removing the old trim - had to respray the entire panel on one side.

That's why I said to try polish first Hope it works out.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0