E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Software Updates

07-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Big Foot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Question Software Updates

Numerous posts are mentioning updates to the vehicle's software.
How do you know if there are updates available?
Does the dealer notify you of available updates or do you have to ask them?
Is this covered under warrenty?
Thanks
      07-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
bmw330ipty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Porsche Cayenne

good question, my 330 was built one week ago in Munich. Will it have all the latest software?

BD
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
My dealer told me September is when the fob updates (memory and program settings, etc) will be available.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Only the dealer can check your software version wiht their service computer

New software doesnt come out on a regular schudule.
Dealers get new CIP disks every 2 months or so, these disks contains software fro all the latest BMW models ( 1,3,5,6,7Series)
Not every new CIP disk will have new E90 software, they may only have changed say the 7 Series software

So you would have to look at this board to see if there is anything new for the E90 and what it fixes

Dealers will only upload new software under warranty if there is a problem that you have that is fixed by the new software. Otherwise they seem to charge people for upgrades
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
yetdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Only the dealer can check your software version wiht their service computer

New software doesnt come out on a regular schudule.
Dealers get new CIP disks every 2 months or so, these disks contains software fro all the latest BMW models ( 1,3,5,6,7Series)
Not every new CIP disk will have new E90 software, they may only have changed say the 7 Series software

So you would have to look at this board to see if there is anything new for the E90 and what it fixes

Dealers will only upload new software under warranty if there is a problem that you have that is fixed by the new software. Otherwise they seem to charge people for upgrades
To me that sounds ridiculous. Why should I suffer because I bought my BMW early while people who waited a year get to have the latest fixes/features from software? I'd rattle on my dealer quite hard if they tried to charge me for a software flash.

If they insist on requiring something broken to flash it for free, then claim that missing features is a broken item.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetdog
To me that sounds ridiculous. Why should I suffer because I bought my BMW early while people who waited a year get to have the latest fixes/features from software? I'd rattle on my dealer quite hard if they tried to charge me for a software flash.

If they insist on requiring something broken to flash it for free, then claim that missing features is a broken item.
If you dont have anything broken or missing there is no reason to download the new software

If you do have someting broken or missing they are supposed to do it for free
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
yetdog
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you dont have anything broken or missing there is no reason to download the new software

If you do have someting broken or missing they are supposed to do it for free
It sounds to me that if I buy car X for $Y in July 2006 and someone walks onto the lot in September 2006 and buys car X for $Y, but he has additional features enabled that previously could only be set if you have iDrive, that I have something missing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
It sounds to me that if I buy car X for $Y in July 2006 and someone walks onto the lot in September 2006 and buys car X for $Y, but he has additional features enabled that previously could only be set if you have iDrive, that I have something missing.
Things like the MP3 and Personal settings software that are missing now should be done for free, since they are missing software

But say new software veriosn X arrives, and its only change is to fix a problem that May and June built E90 have, then dont expect them to load it for free in your July built car
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:

I agree and I hope BMW reconsiders their warranty policy regarding SW updates...

But with my 745, sometimes the latest SW updates made the car worse than the previous SW. I remember on one update, the car ran a lot rougher and the downshifts were so hard that it threw everyone to the front of the cabin at every red light.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
yetdog
Private
Rep

Quote:
Things like the MP3 and Personal settings software that are missing now should be done for free, since they are missing software

But say new software veriosn X arrives, and its only change is to fix a problem that May and June built E90 have, then dont expect them to load it for free in your July built car
No no, definitely not. I'm speaking specifically to the Personal Settings update that seems to be coming down the pipe, as it seems to be a missing feature/bug even...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
No no, definitely not. I'm speaking specifically to the Personal Settings update that seems to be coming down the pipe, as it seems to be a missing feature/bug even...
BMW USA sent out a notice to dealers about it, saying software would be made available to current owners when those features become available
Appreciate 0