Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Defective Jb+?

03-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #1
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Xdrive

Defective Jb+?

Hey all, I just got my Jb+ today. Plugged it in and the car wasn’t making any boost. I made sure to lock the car and let the ecu go to sleep, waited 10 minutes. Turned the car off and boom: CEL. I scanned it and there was a code for a short on the boost sensor. I disconnected it and let the car go to sleep, everything back to normal. Is there any chance that the Jb+ unit could be defective?

Addition: I tried reconnecting it again going through the steps and it doesn’t work I guess it’s defective and I’ll be contacting support unless anyone has any advice as to what the issue could be.

Last edited by blackg20_330i; 03-22-2021 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

You drove the car and there was no boost? Were the connectors plugged in tight?

If you tried twice and had the same issue both times, could be a faulty unit. Not sure though. I had a no boost issue but that was because the connection was loose and came undone. Lol. Plugged it back in and all was well.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:48 PM   #3
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

No, I made sure to plug it in, it clicked, then pushed in the white plastic lock on both the jb+ and the Sensor on the charge pipe. I’m gonna maybe give a shot at changing the position of the dial and reconnecting it to see if it’ll change anything. I know it’s a long shot but it’s worth a try at least. Hopefully BMS can help resolve the issue and won’t just make bigger issues for me this is already a headache and I have a code stored for the sensor and code 121201. Hopefully I can use the scanner at my shop to clear that so the dealership doesn’t give me a hard time if they see that. Real bummer to have this thing not work...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackg20_330i View Post
No, I made sure to plug it in, it clicked, then pushed in the white plastic lock on both the jb+ and the Sensor on the charge pipe. I’m gonna maybe give a shot at changing the position of the dial and reconnecting it to see if it’ll change anything. I know it’s a long shot but it’s worth a try at least. Hopefully BMS can help resolve the issue and won’t just make bigger issues for me this is already a headache and I have a code stored for the sensor and code 121201. Hopefully I can use the scanner at my shop to clear that so the dealership doesn’t give me a hard time if they see that. Real bummer to have this thing not work...
Hopefully it's a defective unit. I remember people having codes thrown with the Dinan piggyback (not here though) and they said it was due to a faulty unit. I can't remember which code it was (I believe it was something similar). If you bought it brand new from them or Mike, you shouldn't have issues.

And yes. Clear the code. That shouldn't be a problem. I've had millions of codes (from when my car got bricked when trying to flash with BM3 and from JB4 due to fuel issues and unplugged connectors). I cleared all those codes. When I took my car in for service (after all that happened), they said the car had no error codes and looked clean. Ofcourse I always remove piggybacks completely and drive the car for a few hundred miles in stock form to clear any codes that could linger (doesn't always have to work but I've been lucky so far *touchwood*)
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Hopefully it's a defective unit. I remember people having codes thrown with the Dinan piggyback (not here though) and they said it was due to a faulty unit. I can't remember which code it was (I believe it was something similar). If you bought it brand new from them or Mike, you shouldn't have issues.

And yes. Clear the code. That shouldn't be a problem. I've had millions of codes (from when my car got bricked when trying to flash with BM3 and from JB4 due to fuel issues and unplugged connectors). I cleared all those codes. When I took my car in for service (after all that happened), they said the car had no error codes and looked clean. Ofcourse I always remove piggybacks completely and drive the car for a few hundred miles in stock form to clear any codes that could linger (doesn't always have to work but I've been lucky so far *touchwood*)
Yes I did buy it brand new from Burger Tuning’s website, I’ll be contacting support during my lunch break at work today and hope for a new unit to be sent and also hope I don’t have to go through some stupid bs with having to ship the unit back. I’ve heard good things about their customer service so fingers crossed I can get a new unit sent out soon so I can give the Jb+ a shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330I

Quote:
Hey all, I just got my Jb+ today. Plugged it in and the car wasn’t making any boost. I made sure to lock the car and let the ecu go to sleep, waited 10 minutes. Turned the car off and boom: CEL. I scanned it and there was a code for a short on the boost sensor. I disconnected it and let the car go to sleep, everything back to normal. Is there any chance that the Jb+ unit could be defective?

Addition: I tried reconnecting it again going through the steps and it doesn’t work I guess it’s defective and I’ll be contacting support unless anyone has any advice as to what the issue could be.
The exact thing happened to me, I got a check engine light and cleared the codes with bimmercode & bimmerlink. Returned and refund, never touching that again lol. i installed it perfectly..... I had the BM3 which was so fun, loud pops and burbles stage 1 map, but i got kinda sketched bc my car did an over the air update and erased the map and BM3 said i had to bench tune the chip and thats when I said im not touching the DME and electronics anymore in terms of boosting and tunes.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I bought mine from burger tuning in simi valley (im from LA) and this happened to me last week. My car wasnt getting boost and was so slow, when i removed my car was so fast lol
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONIg20 View Post
I bought mine from burger tuning in simi valley (im from LA) and this happened to me last week. My car wasnt getting boost and was so slow, when i removed my car was so fast lol
Interesting! Sounds like they got a bad batch of JB+s? I had one and it made boost fine. Car was faster than stock. Wasn't long before I moved on to the JB+ though
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Interesting! Sounds like they got a bad batch of JB+s? I had one and it made boost fine. Car was faster than stock. Wasn't long before I moved on to the JB+ though
Maybe bad batch, not sure... But I wasnt down for any engine problems lol not going back... If I ever go to a tune, it would be back to a bootmod3 maybeeee, for now i love my MST air intake
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #10
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe bad batch, not sure... But I wasnt down for any engine problems lol not going back... If I ever go to a tune, it would be back to a bootmod3 maybeeee, for now i love my MST air intake
Oh yes. Tunes are the best by far. If only BMW hadn't locked the DME.....
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 02:20 PM   #11
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Quote:
Oh yes. Tunes are the best by far. If only BMW hadn't locked the DME.....
Hopefully Dinan releases their flash soon. Won't be as inconvenient to have the DME bench unlocked through them since they have a network of authorized dealers you can visit.

Although I do worry about the likelihood that BMW would push through another DME update that would nullify the tune at some point in the future. Any clue how often this happens?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1943.00
      03-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #12
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Hopefully Dinan releases their flash soon. Won't be as inconvenient to have the DME bench unlocked through them since they have a network of authorized dealers you can visit.

Although I do worry about the likelihood that BMW would push through another DME update that would nullify the tune at some point in the future. Any clue how often this happens?
Whenever tuned my car with bootmod3, my car did the automatic update from my phone for iDrive and then the tune got deleted. I contacted bootmod3 and they said that I have to go bench tune my chip because it deleted the tune and that’s whenever I just told him I want to get a refund and completely went stock because I use this as a daily driver and I don’t wanna get stuck one day.

Just be aware that if you do a tune with bootmod3 and you do an over the air update for a Idrive that the tune will be deleted and may cause a bench tune
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Whenever tuned my car with bootmod3, my car did the automatic update from my phone for iDrive and then the tune got deleted. I contacted bootmod3 and they said that I have to go bench tune my chip because it deleted the tune and that’s whenever I just told him I want to get a refund and completely went stock because I use this as a daily driver and I don’t wanna get stuck one day.

Just be aware that if you do a tune with bootmod3 and you do an over the air update for a Idrive that the tune will be deleted and may cause a bench tune
I will need a bench flash anyways because my car is running the latest software. I wasn't aware that a simple iDrive update erased the tune though. I thought that would only occur with the more rare DME updates to address emissions issues, etc. That is not good!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #14
blackg20_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

So they sent a replacement out. The replacement was defective as well so I’m going to be asking for a full refund and going with either dinan or turbo transformer... how could you send one item that is defective and then the replacement also be defective...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So they sent a replacement out. The replacement was defective as well so I’m going to be asking for a full refund and going with either dinan or turbo transformer... how could you send one item that is defective and then the replacement also be defective...
Ahh. So looks like they did get a defective bunch then? I've heard good things about TT. Let us know how it goes
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I’m not sure how often it happens but it happened to me when I had bootmod3 tune and my DME got locked and they told me I had to get it benched that’s why I never went back to them because I’m afraid of getting locked again
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #17
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

FYI there was a batch of around 50 JB+ systems that had the wrong firmware loaded. You know you got one of those from the bad batch if you install it and get a CEL right away. If you have one just email them and they will send a replacement and a return label for the faulty one.

The normal support guy doing the email didn't know so a few guys got sent out 2 of the bad ones until they realized what the problem was.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1943.00
      04-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #18
Basterma
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:

Does the car do updates on its own? Any way to disable automatic updates?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #19
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basterma View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Whenever tuned my car with bootmod3, my car did the automatic update from my phone for iDrive and then the tune got deleted. I contacted bootmod3 and they said that I have to go bench tune my chip because it deleted the tune and that's whenever I just told him I want to get a refund and completely went stock because I use this as a daily driver and I don't wanna get stuck one day.

I wouldn't take that comment as gospel, I am not sure that an iDrive update would cause an ECU tune to be deleted. They are completely different control units. More than likely the OP got caught in a bad time when BMW pushed out the further encrypted DME update. They don't push out those updates often
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #20
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basterma View Post
The car does auto-update via phone for the software of IDrive. I believe you can disable this in IDrive setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #21
YONIg20
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't take that comment as gospel, I am not sure that an iDrive update would cause an ECU tune to be deleted. They are completely different control units. More than likely the OP got caught in a bad time when BMW pushed out the further encrypted DME update. They don't push out those updates often
I did the iDrive update and it removed my ECU tune and they said I had to get it benched tune bc it got locked... so I just got a refund and removed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
it must be a bad batch

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0