F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > REMUS exhaust review
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
wbmason
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

Angry REMUS exhaust review

Just had my remus axleback exhaust installed....and i am not impressed at all. Waste of $1300.

The sound:
Barely any difference at all. Can't hear any difference when the windows are down, even at 20 mph the wind is louder than the exhaust.

The fitment:
Awful, the shop had to alter the right exhaust tip just to get the whole thing to fit semi-okay.

Do I just sell this thing and try to recoup some of my losses? It doesnt sound or look good, and i doubt im making any more than 5 more whp?

Maybe i just have a defective unit...i hope.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Sorry to hear that man, maybe had a down pipe?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:09 AM   #3
wbmason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkF30 View Post
Yea thats in my future plans. But this makes me think a stock exhaust and a downpipe would sound the exact same as a remus with dp.

Not sure about benefits when it comes to tuning and what not.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmason View Post
Just had my remus axleback exhaust installed....and i am not impressed at all. Waste of $1300.

The sound:
Barely any difference at all. Can't hear any difference when the windows are down, even at 20 mph the wind is louder than the exhaust.

The fitment:
Awful, the shop had to alter the right exhaust tip just to get the whole thing to fit semi-okay.

Do I just sell this thing and try to recoup some of my losses? It doesnt sound or look good, and i doubt im making any more than 5 more whp?

Maybe i just have a defective unit...i hope.
Give it some time, you need to break it in since its new

also a downpipe will help break it in faster and make it sound louder

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
wbmason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
Give it some time, you need to break it in since its new
Ive heard that, what does it breaking in do? maybe expansion and compression of everything thru heat cycles changes things
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Ive heard that, what does it breaking in do? maybe expansion and compression of everything thru heat cycles changes things
that and burns off the packing material inside the muffler

Get a downpipe you wont regret it.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkF30 View Post
Yea thats in my future plans. But this makes me think a stock exhaust and a downpipe would sound the exact same as a remus with dp.

Not sure about benefits when it comes to tuning and what not.
That's disappointing to hear. I've been debating between Remus and awe but I'm concerned that neither will be loud enough for me to enjoy while in the car. I've also read that you shouldn't expect a lot of noise from an axle back unless you also add the midpipe or high flow down pipe, which makes for a pretty expensive setup just to enjoy the sound. I'm not really interested in doing either of those. Power gains with all these mufflers are negligible so I hope you didn't purchase for that reason alone...
And, not to insult your intelligence, but since the Remus is a valved exhaust are you saying it isn't loud in comfort or sport modes? It's supposed to get louder in sport mode.
      04-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
That's disappointing to hear. I've been debating between Remus and awe but I'm concerned that neither will be loud enough for me to enjoy while in the car. I've also read that you shouldn't expect a lot of noise from an axle back unless you also add the midpipe or high flow down pipe, which makes for a pretty expensive setup just to enjoy the sound. I'm not really interested in doing either of those. Power gains with all these mufflers are negligible so I hope you didn't purchase for that reason alone...
And, not to insult your intelligence, but since the Remus is a valved exhaust are you saying it isn't loud in comfort or sport modes? It's supposed to get louder in sport mode.
Once the exhaust breaks in, it should sound louder. If you want even louder get a downpipe.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #9
para38super
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 SPEED MANUAL

I would remove resonator or get the remus mid pipe. That should make it sound louder.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #10
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by para38super View Post
I would remove resonator or get the remus mid pipe. That should make it sound louder.
If it sounds the same as stock now he could have just saved the money and did that in the first place with same result
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
wbmason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
I was hoping for some noise, because there is almost no difference between this and stock, regardless of what driving mode I'm in.

I only mentioned the measly hp increase to further justify that the axleback exhaust isnt worth it. Hoping it breaks in.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
wbmason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
If it sounds the same as stock now he could have just saved the money and did that in the first place with same result
Thats exactly whats going through my head. Struggling to see the benefit of having the remus axleback.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #13
wbmason
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
that and burns off the packing material inside the muffler

Get a downpipe you wont regret it.
Ohh i see. and about the downpipe, any ones you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #14
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

It needs a break in. And it's [remus] plenty louder than a stock axleback with their valves open. With valve closed it is negligible over stock. Just how it was designed to be. I have had it on my N55 since 2018.

It only gets loud and growly, imo, when you are above 3-4K rpm. I am stock everything else on the exhaust. Catted downpipe will go on this month. No power gains are to be made with an exhaust on the stock turbo. Only the cat is going to net you anything there.

Moreover, an AWE is much louder in every way. The canister is tiny in comparison to the remus.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
Jvac438.00
      04-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #15
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
It needs a break in. And it's [remus] plenty louder than a stock axleback with their valves open. With valve closed it is negligible over stock. Just how it was designed to be. I have had it on my N55 since 2018.

It only gets loud and growly, imo, when you are above 3-4K rpm. I am stock everything else on the exhaust. Catted downpipe will go on this month. No power gains are to be made with an exhaust on the stock downpipe. Only the cat is going to net you anything there.

Moreover, an AWE is much louder in every way. The canister is tiny in comparison to the remus.
Thanks for your counterpoint
      04-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Where did you buy it from? We sold hundreds of REMUS units and never had a single complaint about fitment.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #17
Blahx9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Where did you buy it from? We sold hundreds of REMUS units and never had a single complaint about fitment.
I just purchased mine from you and was delivered on the 1st installed today.
The adjustability of the left tip allows you to make it line up perfectly. Not sure how op adjusted right side, that was welded on mine. The valve solenoid took fastening down each bolts little by little, or it wasn’t lining up. In the end, 0 issues with fitment.

Sound, I noticed alot of smaller burbles (m car-ish) and the burble tune pops a bit louder. I’d say if he stock exhaust was at 50% volume, this is 55-60%
The cold start sounded more grumbling
Attached Images