BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Charger experiences

As home charger I have installed the Zappi V2 (3ph 11kW) by Myenergi.
Is there anybody else using this charger?
When running in Eco+ mode the car has a habit of going in some kind of error status when charging for a long period at low power which blocks the “Comfort Options”. Low power levels due to low production of my solar panels.
The most annoying is I cannot use my iPhone to open the car and have to get the original remote key to get in the car and reset it. Quite irritating to be honest.

I have reported it to BMW for explanation but other experiences would help.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      04-14-2021, 12:42 AM   #2
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Following, as I was also looking to install the ZappiV2 , albeit without solar panels though.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
As home charger I have installed the Zappi V2 (3ph 11kW) by Myenergi.
Is there anybody else using this charger?
When running in Eco+ mode the car has a habit of going in some kind of error status when charging for a long period at low power which blocks the “Comfort Options”. Low power levels due to low production of my solar panels.
The most annoying is I cannot use my iPhone to open the car and have to get the original remote key to get in the car and reset it. Quite irritating to be honest.

I have reported it to BMW for explanation but other experiences would help.
Issue still persisting no serious reaction from BMW so far. Car has been with dealer for a second time. Dealer claims software is updated (?), yet issue remains.

I guess the error is in the car and not in the Zappi Chargebox. When charging in ECO+ mode the Minimum Green Level can be set to a % of the power to the car. I have had it at 80%, but will reduce it to 50% to see if it improves.

Still looking for experiences from others
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:25 AM   #4
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanis34 View Post
Following, as I was also looking to install the ZappiV2 , albeit without solar panels though.
Good experiences with the Zappi. User friendly and flexible.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
Zumbug
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro

I'm looking at getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus (7.4kw) installed in time for the iX3 arriving, anyone have any experience with this one?

https://wallbox.com/en_uk/wallbox-pulsar
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #6
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Today I have been made aware of a discrepancy between the charging settings and reality.
In the menu in the car the max. charging current can be set to 32A, representing 22kW. If set over 16A it will automatically jump back to 16A or 11kW. When asked for an explanation my dealer told be the OBC is not capable of charging over 11kW. The option to set more then 11kW is not possible and a mystery why it is there.

For those who plan a wallbox capable of supplying more then 11kW it is wasted on this version of the iX3 despite some documentation mentioning charging with 22kW.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

I have never seen any document where they mention it is possible to charge with 22kW ? I thought it was very clear that 11kW is the max it can handle at non-high voltage chargers. No problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #8
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanis34 View Post
I have never seen any document where they mention it is possible to charge with 22kW ? I thought it was very clear that 11kW is the max it can handle at non-high voltage chargers. No problem for me.
This goes back to mid 2020 when first specs were published. I never bothered much since till I noticed the car would not exceed 11kW at my home despite having 13.5kW max available. Then I discovered the limit as described in the manual and my perception. My mistake!
The mystery remains why the max charging current apparently can be selected up to 32A whereas the OBC cannot accept that. Even when charging on 1 phase 32A seems a bit strange to me, although it is below 11kW.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Interesting....

The UK brochure states 7.4kW / 32A single phase or 11kW / 3x16A three phase.

I assume if you have a three phase 11kW charger the maximum setting of 16A in the car seems to be correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Issue still persisting no serious reaction from BMW so far. Car has been with dealer for a second time. Dealer claims software is updated (?), yet issue remains.

I guess the error is in the car and not in the Zappi Chargebox. When charging in ECO+ mode the Minimum Green Level can be set to a % of the power to the car. I have had it at 80%, but will reduce it to 50% to see if it improves.

Still looking for experiences from others
My single phase Zappi2 has been throwing up errors on ECo++ for the past couple of days. The MyEnergi website shows similar problems with other EVs. Allegedly, the problem is a lack of compliance by the vehicle manufacturer with EV charging standards (IEC 61851-1 ). Some manufacturers are engaging with MyEnergi to resolve the problem. I am not sure whether BMW is or isn’t engaging in technical discussions.

In addition to adjusting the MGL, others have suggested adjusting the Eco stop start timer to max.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

In the UK maximum charge is 11kw. For most of us here in the UK it would be 7.4kw unless you have three phase.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

By way of update, my iX3 has been happily charging for most of day in the Eco rather than Eco++ mode. Fortunately, I have a battery so charging in this mode doesn’t result in any Grid usage or charging stop/starts. Let us hope that BMW accepts that there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
My single phase Zappi2 has been throwing up errors on ECo++ for the past couple of days. The MyEnergi website shows similar problems with other EVs. Allegedly, the problem is a lack of compliance by the vehicle manufacturer with EV charging standards (IEC 61851-1 ). Some manufacturers are engaging with MyEnergi to resolve the problem. I am not sure whether BMW is or isn’t engaging in technical discussions.

In addition to adjusting the MGL, others have suggested adjusting the Eco stop start timer to max.
In some correspondence from mid-June I found the following sentence from BMW Clientservices after reporting my problems with Zappi in ECO+:

“Some testing has been performed by Engineering in Germany. They are in contact with Chris Horne (MyEnergi) and procured a Zappi to further investigate. It looks like the car is “woken from sleep” many times over which triggers several services fed from the 12VDC battery which is drained. After too many “awakenings” the car protects the 12VDC battery in an “emergency mode”. Research is ongoing to the reason and prevention of this issue”

This message was send to me on 18 June (hence 2 months ago) and ever since I heard nothing. End of this month I’ll start expediting for a reply.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      08-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In some correspondence from mid-June I found the following sentence from BMW Clientservices after reporting my problems with Zappi in ECO+:

“Some testing has been performed by Engineering in Germany. They are in contact with Chris Horne (MyEnergi) and procured a Zappi to further investigate. It looks like the car is “woken from sleep” many times over which triggers several services fed from the 12VDC battery which is drained. After too many “awakenings” the car protects the 12VDC battery in an “emergency mode”. Research is ongoing to the reason and prevention of this issue”

This message was send to me on 18 June (hence 2 months ago) and ever since I heard nothing. End of this month I’ll start expediting for a reply.
Thanks. My dealer Service Manager is raising a Technical Investigation Request with BMW UK. I will pass your post on to him.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #15
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

I am still talking to MyEnergi about the Zappi2 Eco+ charging issue.

They have now suggested that I reduce the device limit to 16 amps. I have no intention of doing so for an EV with a 80kWh battery as the car charges without any issues in Fast and Eco modes. Presumably, they have heard nothing back from BMW Engineering.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #16
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

I was wondering, what's your guys preferred and reliable method to plan for longer trips with integrated charging stops? Let's say your leaving for vacation to Italy for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #17
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdb View Post
I was wondering, what's your guys preferred and reliable method to plan for longer trips with integrated charging stops? Let's say your leaving for vacation to Italy for example.
My best bet for now is A Better Route Planner (ABRP app) to plan your route. Pay attention to the settings. Then verify location with the BMW Charging app or any other app you use as payment service. Plugsurfing app is well equipped with pictures and experiences of recent users.

For well documented experiences I read the “ElectricFelix” website a lot. He drives around Europe a lot in Ev’s and shares his findings.

The following blog describes a trip from Holland to middle Italy by EV (unfortunately for some written in Dutch)
https://goedkoperrijden.blogspot.com...21-deel-2.html

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 08-30-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:48 AM   #18
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

Thx 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #19
NatMoj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

I have had an Ohme Home Pro installed and I have a new IX3 but it won't charge?
Looking for some answers as My only electricity company who installed can't help me and Ohme can't give me an answer!

Can anyone help please. Thank you

The car charges at the garage I purchased from & from a home wall socket on a transformer lead.

Last edited by NatMoj; 12-14-2021 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #20
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatMoj View Post
I have had an Ohme Home Pro installed and I have a new IX3 but it won't charge?
Looking for some answers as My only electricity company who installed can't help me and Ohme can't give me an answer!

Can anyone help please. Thank you

The car charges at the garage I purchased from & from a home wall socket on a transformer lead.
There is no reason that the Ohme shouldn’t work. It has a standard plug.

Have you tried a different car on the Ohme? Sounds like you have eliminated everything else.
Appreciate 0