E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Video: What does your Valvetronic Motor sound like?

04-20-2021, 02:35 AM   #1
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Video: What does your Valvetronic Motor sound like?

So, in trying to trace down the cause of my N52s recent general shittyness (poor throttle control, random jolts to strong acceleration while driving in the sub 3500 rpm range) I was looking into how to view VVL motor current in INPA. Although- I am doing the VCG and ESS this summer anyway, so we'll see if it's that...I'm very hopeful.

... I Had no luck, but was able to capture a video of it running from 10-170 Gradians (9-153 degrees) which is about 6 Grad from WOT position. I assume at maximum speed.

It's pretty quick...not as fast as an electronic throttle body, but who really expected it to be? The motor is surprisingly loud and rough sounding. Of course, it's hauling ass to move the eccentric shaft that quickly but ... still a surprisingly rough sound. I am very curious if a new, fresh motor would sound this way. Anyone with a newer than 120k one want to check?

I posted this sort of as a feeler for if this is how it's supposed to sound, but this is also something kind of neat that I have always wondered but never found an answer to: how fast is it, and what does it sound like.

Just wanted to share.

Last edited by JonOhh; 04-20-2021 at 02:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:38 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

It does sound bad lol. I read before that bmw recommended some sort of grease on the worm gear set up (which should be steadily bathed in oil being under the valve cover). Maybe you can look that up and apply some of the grease to the worm gears?

The speed it’s operating at does seem pretty quick. I have also wondered how fast it responded to a WOT command.
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2426.50
Mosaud19983980.50
      04-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

+1 on greasing the worm gear. When I did the VM gasket, I ignored the part of the procedure that calls for greasing it. After all, it lives in the crankcase, I thought; it must get splashed with oil (wrong). It was loud when I reassembled. Had to take everything back off and grease it. Quieter now.

Edit: Maybe it’s okay after all? In my video I make incremental adjustments until I reach 170, and then go back to 10, and then back and forth a few more times. My car has over 200k miles on it though.

I might be wrong, but I think the VM cycles at unlock?? Whenever I hear what I believe is the VM cycling, it does so quietly and much more slowly than it does when commanded in INPA.

Last edited by e90yyc; 04-20-2021 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
+1 on greasing the worm gear. When I did the VM gasket, I ignored the part of the procedure that calls for greasing it. After all, it lives in the crankcase, I thought; it must get splashed with oil (wrong). It was loud when I reassembled. Had to take everything back off and grease it. Quieter now.

Edit: Maybe it’s okay after all? In my video I make incremental adjustments until I reach 170, and then go back to 10, and then back and forth a few more times. My car has over 200k miles on it though.

I might be wrong, but I think the VM cycles at unlock?? Whenever I hear what I believe is the VM cycling, it does so quietly and much more slowly than it does when commanded in INPA.

I do recall seeing the grease instruction- which is really interesting. If it is a grease that breaks down with oil, like an assembly lube, it would make a lot more sense. However, if I remember correctly, the name for the grease has "longlife" in it...interesting?

Typically you cannot mix grease with oil, especially for long periods of time in harsh environments. Usually, the grease breaks down, and then prevents the oil from getting where it needs to go as the thickener in the grease gets dry and hard.

The valvetronic worm gear lubrication dropper thingy in the engine suggests it's oil lubricated so...what is it? I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
I do recall seeing the grease instruction- which is really interesting. If it is a grease that breaks down with oil, like an assembly lube, it would make a lot more sense. However, if I remember correctly, the name for the grease has "longlife" in it...interesting?

Typically you cannot mix grease with oil, especially for long periods of time in harsh environments. Usually, the grease breaks down, and then prevents the oil from getting where it needs to go as the thickener in the grease gets dry and hard.

The valvetronic worm gear lubrication dropper thingy in the engine suggests it's oil lubricated so...what is it? I'm not sure.
There’s an oil spray nozzle for the Valvetronic worm gear? If that’s the case then mine is not working. Regardless, I think a long-lasting grease would be better suited to the application.

I think I used a Liqui-Moly installation paste, though I believe its composition differs from an actual “assembly lube” like what you refer to. Like its name implies, it was more of a paste than the assembly lubes I’ve used in the past. I didn’t worry too much about compatibility with oil given the relatively small amount I used, as well as the fact there appeared to be no oil making contact with the VM worm gear in my engine.

Maybe I missed it though??
      04-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #6
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yeah, there's definitely an oil spray bar specifically for the VVT motor. If you've had the valve cover off, it's possible you bumped it and pushed it off track, or somebody did before. it's small and easy to miss. grease should only be needed for a totally dry engine, once oil starts flowing and you put miles on it, all that grease is going to be washed away anyway.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      04-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

My motor sounds nothing like that. There's a line that bends and aims right at the point where the worm merges with the gear, very similar to a piston oil squirter. I remember seeing a thread here of someone that had to replace the eccentric shaft because that line was bent off and the motors worm wore out the gear as it wasn't getting any oil. I'd imagine if there was grease needed there it wouldn't stay in the mating surface for long as it'd get squished out quickly or flushed by the oil being thrown at it.
      04-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #8
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
AFAIK, the valve cover has never been off of my engine. Should I worry about the sound of the Valvetronic Motor? e90yyc's sounds identical to mine.

Is that your original vvl motor Will?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:36 PM   #9
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Actually I'll test it with inpa if I can do it through that when I get home maybe it does sound like it but I would imagine you'd hear that weird ass noise if you were to floor the car too. I don't think it has been replaced it certainly doesn't look new.
      04-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #10
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just tested my motor on inpa. I don't think it sounds as rough as the one in your video, but it's quieter in person than what the microphone recorded after listening to my own video, which might also be the case for the video you recorded.

The first few movements are slowly through the percentages and then full 0-170 and back. Keep in mind I just came back from driving.

04-20-2021, 11:18 PM   #11
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
I just tested my motor on inpa. I don't think it sounds as rough as the one in your video, but it's quieter in person than what the microphone recorded after listening to my own video, which might also be the case for the video you recorded.

The first few movements are slowly through the percentages and then full 0-170 and back. Keep in mind I just came back from driving.

Sounds very similar to mine TBH.

hassmaschine and JonOhh - I stand corrected on that! When I pulled the motor out after failing to grease the gear (and having run the engine) I could have sworn it was dry, but I must not have been paying attention.

Oddly though, the difference in noise when I put grease on was substantial. I’m sure it’s all been “washed off” now though.
      04-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #12
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks y'all for the videos and responses...

Y'all's seem to have a very similar sound, and considering I tested mine with the engine cover off, it'd make sense that mine seemed a bit harsher.

Happy to see that the speed is consistent as well. I wonder if a failing motor would be slower to actuate...

Last edited by JonOhh; 04-21-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOhh View Post
Thanks y'all for the videos and responses...

Y'all's seem to have a very similar sound, and considering I tested mine with the engine cover off, it'd make sense that mine seemed a bit harsher.

Happy to see that the speed is consistent as well. I wonder if a failing motor would be slower to actuate...
No prob.

I would think it would slow down, or you’d see some codes.

I’m not worried at all about mine, I can’t hear anything during normal operation. Then again, maybe I am hearing something but don’t know any different because it’s always been there
      04-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #14
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you want to be extra sure I think you are able to see the oil line that goes to the worm gear when you take out the motor.
      04-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
My motor sounds nothing like that. There's a line that bends and aims right at the point where the worm merges with the gear, very similar to a piston oil squirter. I remember seeing a thread here of someone that had to replace the eccentric shaft because that line was bent off and the motors worm wore out the gear as it wasn't getting any oil. I'd imagine if there was grease needed there it wouldn't stay in the mating surface for long as it'd get squished out quickly or flushed by the oil being thrown at it.
My valve cover is off right now, here is a picture of the N52 VT squirt line.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #16
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
My valve cover is off right now, here is a picture of the N52 VT squirt line.
I knew there was no oil nozzle!

(There’s no pic attached to your post)
      04-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #17
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

How's this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1