E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto-folding side mirrors get stuck

04-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #1
quebix
Noob
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2009 320i

Auto-folding side mirrors get stuck

Both side mirrors worked normally and well until yesterday. I unlock my car but only the driver side side mirror folds out. The one on passenger side remains at folded position.

I thought it was a fuse issue, so while i was opening the glove compartment to get to the fusebox, the side mirror folds out by itself.

So sometimes it works, sometimes it stucks.
Sometimes it stucks at folded in position, sometimes at folded out position.

What could be the issue?

Sorry, super noob here.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

The pin sticks. Pull out your PB50 and get to googlin.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:53 AM   #3
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

I've posted this one before, but...

Maybe you can get ahead of the problem by drilling and lubricating. Otherwise, the next stop (so to speak) is your mirrors bending back like the ones in the vid and as so many others have had happen to theirs. I've done this guy's fix now on both of my mirrors, and it works great. Otherwise, I never use the folding thing as it just seems to be courting trouble.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
quebix
Noob
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2009 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
I've posted this one before, but...

Maybe you can get ahead of the problem by drilling and lubricating. Otherwise, the next stop (so to speak) is your mirrors bending back like the ones in the vid and as so many others have had happen to theirs. I've done this guy's fix now on both of my mirrors, and it works great. Otherwise, I never use the folding thing as it just seems to be courting trouble.
Thanks. Saw these before. Its for side mirrors folding all the way and bending back out of alignment.
I thought mine is a different problem, because it is stuck at the folded/unfolded position instead. Will see if it can be applied to my situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
The pin sticks. Pull out your PB50 and get to googlin.
Thanks, finding out now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebix View Post
Thanks. Saw these before. Its for side mirrors folding all the way and bending back out of alignment.
I thought mine is a different problem, because it is stuck at the folded/unfolded position instead. Will see if it can be applied to my situation.

Thanks, finding out now.
Assuming you can hear the motors running and trying to move the mirrors, then it's the same problem. The pin is sticking. It's just that yours are getting stuck in a different position...which is what I meant by saying that if left unfixed, yours would sooner or later end up getting stuck in the excessively folded out position (like the video).

If you cannot hear the motor(s), then you have an intermittent connection to the motor or switch, which is indeed a different problem.
Appreciate 0