E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A72E code: Water valve, passenger's side (IHKA High only)

04-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
A72E code: Water valve, passenger's side (IHKA High only)

Hello Everyone,

I'm down to 2 issues. The one in question is this

JBBF [JBBF70] | A72E: Water valve, passenger's side (IHKA High only).

I haven't a clue. I have tried to research this topic and it always relates to no hot/cold air in the cabin, but my ac and heat are fine as well as my blower motor. This relates to the the passenger side of course as I know there's a driver side water valve as well.

I have protools and I can access the water valve function (turning it on and off 20 seconds at a time but i don't know where its located or how to diagnose and or what to replace.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is this the heater valve (located under the airbox) that needs replaced? Or?

Last edited by mapleleaf1773; 04-21-2021 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

?!?!? There is only one water valve, located under the air box.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Yea thats what I mean but my error is for the passenger side. I am guessing its one of the 2 solenoids (under the airbox) maybe clogged up and or not working properly? I'm just trying to understand my error and what to replace to fix my error -

Last edited by mapleleaf1773; 04-21-2021 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
mejim707
Rep
Drives: 2008 x5 3.0si

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1773 View Post
Yea thats what I mean but my error is for the passenger side. I am guessing its one of the 2 solenoids (under the airbox) maybe clogged up and or not working properly? I'm just trying to understand my error and what to replace to fix my error -

Hi mapleleaf, sorry to resurrect an old post, but, I have the exact issue on my 08 X5. I use ISTA to cycle the valves. I can hear the driver side activate but the passenger side does not. However heat and AC appear to work perfectly in the 4 zones. Sounds just like your issue.

So, did you figure this out? Were you able to test it / repair it / replace it? I'd love to know what the outcome is on this since it's one of 3 minor glitches with my car I'd like to get sorted out.

250k on the clock and only a few small issues. Please let me know what your outcome was.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by mejim707; 12-04-2021 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Misspelled - Notification update
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:02 AM   #5
jamie7878
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E70 2008 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejim707 View Post
Hi mapleleaf, sorry to resurrect an old post, but, I have the exact issue on my 08 X5. I use ISTA to cycle the valves. I can hear the driver side activate but the passenger side does not. However heat and AC appear to work perfectly in the 4 zones. Sounds just like your issue.

So, did you figure this out? Were you able to test it / repair it / replace it? I'd love to know what the outcome is on this since it's one of 3 minor glitches with my car I'd like to get sorted out.

250k on the clock and only a few small issues. Please let me know what your outcome was.

Thanks in advance!!
Hi Mejim707. Did you find anything about your issue? I'm having a similar cooling problem (documented here). Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie7878 View Post
Hi Mejim707. Did you find anything about your issue? I'm having a similar cooling problem (documented here). Thanks.
Hi Jamie7878/ James78 (on BFest ;-),

First, it should be noted that your 2008 X5 E70 system is QUITE different from the E9x system, particularly that sold in US.

I don't know WHY OP in this thread (mapleleaf1773) got the A72E code, applicable ONLY to "IHKA High" setup, when MOST US E9x models do NOT have that IHKA High setup, and in fact, have NO Water valve at all, let alone 2. He reported he had NO Heating or Cooling issue. The ONLY issue MAY have been the Tool/Software used to read the Fault Code. There was NEVER any report back about any Fault actually existing, or further Diagnosis/ Repair.

Also, since this is the E9x forum, it should be noted that on most US E9x models, having NO Water Valve, the temperature of air delivered from ALL vents is primarily controlled by two "Mixed Air Flaps", one controlled by Left Thermostat, and the other controlled by Right Thermostat. Those flaps control how much of the cold/ cool air from the Evaporator/ Refrigeration coil is then sent through the heater core to be warmed. The Heater core on the E9x is ALWAYS getting coolant circulation, so Temp can ONLY be regulated by how much of the air (which ALWAYS goes through Evaporator/cooling coil 1st) is then routed through the heater.

NOT so with the 2008 X5. It appears to regulate temperature of air from Rear Vents in that fashion (has "Rear compartment mixing flap motor"), but has NO mixing flap motor related to the Front. So Jamie, as I understand your situation, you have properly-controlled air temp from ALL vents except Front-Right (AU Driver/fahrer). In LHD/ LL countries, the right side is the Passenger/ BeiFahrer side. Anyone confused yet?

Jamie, your X5 DOES have 2 Water Valves. According to my reading of the ISTA wiring diagram (attached to NEXT post) EACH of the two valves is ONLY used to control temperature of air delivered to FRONT (NOT rear). EACH valve is ON/OFF. The "Lines ID" information in attached SSP does NOT suggest that the valve is regulated by any variable voltage or PWM signal in the Yellow/Brown, or Yellow/Violet "Supply" wires. ONLY a voltage supply and a ground.

Since I don't have an X5, and have NO Water Valve at all on my 328xi, that's all I can offer. If you have any questions about the wiring diagrams and component/connector diagrams attached to next post, or you need MORE info from ISTA, please provide Last-7 Characters of VIN so I can make sure we're looking at CORRECT wiring info for YOUR vehicle. Anyone wanting to download ISTA (you can view documents on ANY Windows 7-10 computer, without being connected to vehicle), see the attached pdf.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References 210523 Revision.pdf (235.9 KB, 115 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

X5 E70 ISTA ScreenPrints re Water Valves (2)

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints for X5 E70 as described in prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
mejim707
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie7878 View Post
Hi Jamie, it turns out that the watervalve is located in the front driver side of the engine bay, directly to the right of the throttle body if you're standing in front of the car looking to the right side of the engine bay.

The watervalve has two actuators and 3 approximately 1 inch diameter hoses running to it. One actuator was faulty while the one that handles the drivers side was working. I replaced the watervalve and it's working properly now. Using ISTA I can activate each side and they both work.

It's easy to change, I got 3 hose clamps and clamped off the hoses to the unit so as not to loose much coolant. You simply pull the unit out of its rubber grommet holders, unscrew the 3 metal hose clamps holding the 3 hoses to the unit, then swap it out with the new one. Simple.

I bought mine on amazon. It was about $35 so it's inexpensive for an aftermarket one. If I get a few years out of it I'm fine with that since it's so cheap and easy to replace and it's not a critical part.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
mejim707
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Hi Jamie7878/ James78 (on BFest ;-),

First, it should be noted that your 2008 X5 E70 system is QUITE different from the E9x system, particularly that sold in US.

I don't know WHY OP in this thread (mapleleaf1773) got the A72E code, applicable ONLY to "IHKA High" setup, when MOST US E9x models do NOT have that IHKA High setup, and in fact, have NO Water valve at all, let alone 2. He reported he had NO Heating or Cooling issue. The ONLY issue MAY have been the Tool/Software used to read the Fault Code. There was NEVER any report back about any Fault actually existing, or further Diagnosis/ Repair.

Also, since this is the E9x forum, it should be noted that on most US E9x models, having NO Water Valve, the temperature of air delivered from ALL vents is primarily controlled by two "Mixed Air Flaps", one controlled by Left Thermostat, and the other controlled by Right Thermostat. Those flaps control how much of the cold/ cool air from the Evaporator/ Refrigeration coil is then sent through the heater core to be warmed. The Heater core on the E9x is ALWAYS getting coolant circulation, so Temp can ONLY be regulated by how much of the air (which ALWAYS goes through Evaporator/cooling coil 1st) is then routed through the heater.

NOT so with the 2008 X5. It appears to regulate temperature of air from Rear Vents in that fashion (has "Rear compartment mixing flap motor"), but has NO mixing flap motor related to the Front. So Jamie, as I understand your situation, you have properly-controlled air temp from ALL vents except Front-Right (AU Driver/fahrer). In LHD/ LL countries, the right side is the Passenger/ BeiFahrer side. Anyone confused yet?

Jamie, your X5 DOES have 2 Water Valves. According to my reading of the ISTA wiring diagram (attached to NEXT post) EACH of the two valves is ONLY used to control temperature of air delivered to FRONT (NOT rear). EACH valve is ON/OFF. The "Lines ID" information in attached SSP does NOT suggest that the valve is regulated by any variable voltage or PWM signal in the Yellow/Brown, or Yellow/Violet "Supply" wires. ONLY a voltage supply and a ground.

Since I don't have an X5, and have NO Water Valve at all on my 328xi, that's all I can offer. If you have any questions about the wiring diagrams and component/connector diagrams attached to next post, or you need MORE info from ISTA, please provide Last-7 Characters of VIN so I can make sure we're looking at CORRECT wiring info for YOUR vehicle. Anyone wanting to download ISTA (you can view documents on ANY Windows 7-10 computer, without being connected to vehicle), see the attached pdf.
George
Wow! Thank you for the thorough reply and wire diagrams! You rock!

I ended up changing my water valve. Thankfully the wiring was sound but the passengers side actuator had failed. I changed it in about 30 minutes for about $35. not a bad repair at all and now bot sides work and ISTA reports no faults.

In fact, even though my X5 has 255k on the clock, every single unit and part on the car is functional across the board. ISTA report all green for every module! I'm super proud of that. I love this car.

The only thing that reports RED is the display because I swapped it for one of those aftermarket PEMP Audio smart displays. That thing is freaking awesome!!!! Totally recommend the PEMP audio replacement. Interfaces with all the factory controls, fiber optics and it matches the OE look of the modern BMWs. Totally an awesome upgrade!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0