Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 330e electric use then going into engine power at high speed

04-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #1
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

330e electric use then going into engine power at high speed

Hi all,

Surely this has been asked but I couldn't find it (apologies in adv if the case), but when mainly moving around in electric only, and then joining national speed roads, I'm presuming that the ICE is distributing oil around the internals as part of the operation and only ignites once required for ICE power.
My question is does this happen as I've described and what about viscosity? Presumably the oil isnt at operating temp due to combustion not being present.

Thanks to the gurus who either point me in the right direction or explain.

Tks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:28 AM   #2
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40, i3 60Ah

What kind of oil distribution are you thinking about?
The engine oil only lubricates and cools the ICE, nothing else. There is no need to lubricate something that isn't running.
The gearbox has its own pump (and its own oil) powered by the electric engine or the ICE depending on the situation. I can't think of anything else that would need a constant oil flow.
The power steering is electric and the brakes are also electrically assisted.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

Hi,

Yes, oil around the engine and the engine only. When you go into combustion power after driving in electric either after a long time or high speed, the engine takes over without any real noticeable difference to your drive. I just want to understand if the pump is drawing oil from the sump throughout, even though the engine isn't combusting and therefore not at operating temp.

Basically trying to understand how it all works out
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:28 AM   #4
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

It's like a normal car, engine running=oil pump running.
Sure, that means that there is more wear at the start since the engine is directly put under load, until you have full oil pressure but still, the wear should be less on a hybrid than on a normal car over time. Even more so if you drive lots of shorter distances where it never even fires up.

The pump is, as far as I can tell, mechanical so the only way to achieve this when driving in electric mode would be to have the ICE rotating but not firing. That would for sure cause a lot of extra wear and give an insane battery consumption.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:27 AM   #5
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. Yes, thats my thoughts. The ICE is rotating and oiled as usual but without combustion. Just wondered if anyone knew exactly what happens or anything else to do with it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:43 AM   #6
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Like I tried to say, it's NOT rotating as usual. that would be a severe waste of battery and cause unnecessary wear on the ICE.
It's disconnected from the drivetrain when not needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

Hmmm, so you think that the ICE kicks in at 70 mph completely cold without any lubrication of any kind?

I cant see that being good on the engine either, so cant see it as being possible, but happy to be officially corrected.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
Mon_papillon
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered - G21 330e M Sport

Someone best call BMW, they haven't thought this through!!

The tech has been in the F30 for a while, any noise about their longevity - bound to be some high milers about.

I'm sure BMW have worked this all out, I'd rest easy! (I have a G21 330e on order, I'm not worried, no doubt won't have the car more than 3 years anyway!)
Appreciate 1
ovesund82.00
      05-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

Hey butterfly!

I'm not worried about it, I just want to know how it works. Nothing more!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
Mon_papillon
Private
Rep
Drives: Ordered - G21 330e M Sport

That's fair Saxon.

It is interesting tech and I too am Interested in how the PHEV element works especially with BMW using the gearbox. However, ultimately I have concerns over the longevity of a lot of newer vehicles, not just PHEV but even new ICE - so much is computer controlled, so many electronics and so much wiring.

They are borderline impossible to fix as a hobbyist and with tech moving so fast will garages or even hobbyists retain the appropriate ways to diagnose and manage things like an M340 in 10-15-20-30 years (I do hope so!).

What happens when these cars die, especially those 'greener' cars (like my imminent g21) with large batteries (lithium recycling is a nightmare).

I adore the fact I have a near 40 year old mini that if it doesn't start it's one of about 3 things 😆

Enjoy your car, share what you find!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
UnluckySaxon
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah man! Like you I like to try to sort stuff myself as at least I know it'll have been done properly, but as you say, tech is moving on so much its hard for people to maintain and BMW (sure other manufacturers as well) make it this way so you have to take them in.

I always like to understand how something works just to scratch the itch of learning if nowt else.

Hopefully someone informed will pitch in on here with the info
Appreciate 0