E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Owner's Manual

05-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
inxces
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Owner's Manual

I'm wondering if my Owner's Manual is misprinted, or if they are all this way. Despite being so long, I've noticed various missing information.

One thing I noticed is that in the index under "Engine Oil" it says to go to page 162 for oil capacity. But the only capacities listed on page 162 are fuel and wiper fluid! Oil capacity and coolant capacity are nowhere to be found in the manual!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There is such a thing as a 225xi ?

And wouldn't you need to be on that forum to
find out about it.?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
inxces
Registered
Rep

No, it took me multiple multiple attempts and about 5 months before anybody bothered to complete my registration on the website. It says I joined in July 2020, but I wasn't approved until after numerous emails and not until December 2020. Somewhere along the way my information must have been screwed up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
And wouldn't you need to be on that forum to
find out about it.?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

I lost a bunch of brain cells reading this thread. Upsetting, cause I can't spare many more.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
I lost a bunch of brain cells reading this thread. Upsetting, cause I can't spare many more.
Well, you ARE what you EAT. I haven't learned anything either, but that's probably just ME.

OP, the BMW Owner's Manual just tells owners what the various buttons do, and when to add a quart of oil. BMW does NOT want you to understand your vehicle. ONLY WHEN to take your vehicle to the nearest Franchised Dealership, so ALL can make money from your ignorance.

Fortunately there is Bentley Manual, and ISTA for those who would like to have sufficient knowledge to do most Maintenance & Repairs themselves (NOT a modern concept apparently, but then I'm a Dinosaur ;-).

See the attached "E9x References" for how to get Bentley, BMW Standard Tools/INPA, ISTA and MORE. The oil capacity for refill purposes after drain & filter change is 6.5L or 6.9 Qt/US. Bentley 020-41, page 112 of pdf version. That's for N51, N52 & N54 engines. If you have N55, you're on your own, and NEED to check for different Oil Change/Refill Procedure in ISTA or such.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References 210203 Revision.pdf (225.8 KB, 51 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
inxces
Registered
Rep

I'm familiar with Bentley manuals, but thank you.

Historically, BMW Owner's Manuals have included complete details on fluid capacities. And, this Owner's Manual even claimed to, but the information was missing.

Is it that hard for a couple of people to look at their manuals to see if the capacity information is missing from theirs as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #7
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by inxces View Post
I'm familiar with Bentley manuals, but thank you.

Historically, BMW Owner's Manuals have included complete details on fluid capacities. And, this Owner's Manual even claimed to, but the information was missing.

Is it that hard for a couple of people to look at their manuals to see if the capacity information is missing from theirs as well?
Not hard at all. And the answer to your question is that you've already answered it...it's not there. At least not in my 2008 model year owners' manual.

My guess is that it was supposed to be there up until very late in the publishing cycle when someone not very high up in marketing (but high enough to have a say) demanded that it be removed because including such info was not in keeping with the emphasis on trusting the electronic measuring (which is what pages 128 - 129 are devoted to) and the CBS-based "free" oil changes that BMW was offering during the warranty period at that time. If one were willing to go along with CBS (and if I recall correctly, my car used to notify BMW NA "telematically" (!!) when I needed to bring it in and I'd get a nice phone call/email from the dealer) you never needed to open the hood, much less worry about oil capacities. Of course all of that changes if you want to take matters into your own hands or keep the car past 3 years....but BMW does not (did not?...nah, "does not") advise that.

Anyhow, getting the answer to "how much oil does it take?" was one of the reasons why I started coming to this forum to begin with.

Welcome
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
inxces
Registered
Rep

Thanks, that explains it.
Appreciate 0