BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Need opinions/help for fresh build (N55)

05-17-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

Question Need opinions/help for fresh build (N55)

Hey folks, recently finished installing lots of carbon fiber on my 18' BMW M2.. Now that it's visually stunning, I'm looking to squeeze some performance out of it. I've heard it's not a great platform for heavy HP gains but that's fine as I'm mostly looking for bolt ons and need a reliable car.

I'd be VERY happy if I could get about 400whp out of it. I recently owned a C8 so I'd like to get as close to that power as possible. Here's a list of things I believe I would need at a bare minimum, please point me in the right direction!

- FMIC (looking at ones that are basically plug and play)
- Cold air intake
- Sport cats
- Charge pipes
- Muffler delete or aftermarket exhaust (any suggestion on brands?)
- Bootmod3 93octane map (would use ultra94 probably)
Will go with VRSF, CSFR or Wagner for all parts.

Don't think I want to do meth injection, bigger turbo or fuel injection systems unless I absolutely need to down the line for more power.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

you would get close to 400 whp with stage 2 mods and good fuel. i dynoed 385 whp when i was stage 2 93. if you want to be close to the c8 as possible then youd want to go stage 2+ and unfortunately, youd have to upgrade fueling as well coz youll need to run ethanol.

you dont need to run an intake unless you want the sound. id change out the downpipe first to a catted or catless one and see if you like the sound before you throw money on an exhaust coz changing that alone drastically improves the sound of the n55. you could review the intercooler thread to see which intercooler youd need because if i mention any brands here it will start an intercooler war lol

basically bare minimum for you rn is chargepipe (any brand), intercooler, downpipe, and the bm3 tune itself then go from there.

oh and i see youre from toronto. good place to shop for everything you need is park auto motorsports, and/or directly from CTS turbo (theyre located in BC). park auto sells CTS stuff but might as well order from CTS coz they ship free anyways

Last edited by Dj_Quik; 05-17-2021 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 01:31 AM   #3
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
you would get close to 400 whp with stage 2 mods and good fuel. i dynoed 385 whp when i was stage 2 93. if you want to be close to the c8 as possible then youd want to go stage 2+ and unfortunately, youd have to upgrade fueling as well coz youll need to run ethanol.

you dont need to run an intake unless you want the sound. id change out the downpipe first to a catted or catless one and see if you like the sound before you throw money on an exhaust coz changing that alone drastically improves the sound of the n55. you could review the intercooler thread to see which intercooler youd need because if i mention any brands here it will start an intercooler war lol

basically bare minimum for you rn is chargepipe (any brand), intercooler, downpipe, and the bm3 tune itself then go from there.

oh and i see youre from toronto. good place to shop for everything you need is park auto motorsports, and/or directly from CTS turbo (theyre located in BC). park auto sells CTS stuff but might as well order from CTS coz they ship free anyways
Thanks for the reply! When you were running stage 2 93, was it reliable? Did you run into any problems? Definitely will do cats first, I've heard it makes the exhaust note a lot more meaty which I think the car definitely needs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 04:47 AM   #4
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

For catted downpipe, get the Fabspeed sport cat. You can pair this with their own muffler delete or a custom one for the exhaust. I had this setup but with a catless downpipe and had terrible drone for the noise it created. People who run their full setup with sport cats don't seem to have an issue. I wouldn't recommend going cheap here. Do it right the first time. Two brands I would look at are Valvetronic and Dinan. Full Dinan exhaust (w/ resonator delete) and sport cat is one of the best sounding as well as one of the best value options.

Intercooler-wise, for value get the VRSF 5" but you may need to get a bigger intercooler down the road if you plan on getting a bigger turbo. If money isn't a concern then CSF would be my choice. Wagner is popular as well.

Tune-wise, you can't go wrong with BM3. It IS possible to reach 400whp on the OTS stage 2 map IF conditions are right and you don't have a heartbreaker dyno. Realistically, the car will be most consistent and happiest around 370-390whp on pump gas and stock turbo. A custom tune can get you close but it's not worth chasing numbers on this platform. The car will be good for high 11s and a 115-117 trap in the quarter mile with these mods, if you're into that type of stuff.

Good luck with the build!

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #5
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
For catted downpipe, get the Fabspeed sport cat. You can pair this with their own muffler delete or a custom one for the exhaust. I had this setup but with a catless downpipe and had terrible drone for the noise it created. People who run their full setup with sport cats don't seem to have an issue. I wouldn't recommend going cheap here. Do it right the first time. Two brands I would look at are Valvetronic and Dinan. Full Dinan exhaust (w/ resonator delete) and sport cat is one of the best sounding as well as one of the best value options.

Intercooler-wise, for value get the VRSF 5" but you may need to get a bigger intercooler down the road if you plan on getting a bigger turbo. If money isn't a concern then CSF would be my choice. Wagner is popular as well.

Tune-wise, you can't go wrong with BM3. It IS possible to reach 400whp on the OTS stage 2 map IF conditions are right and you don't have a heartbreaker dyno. Realistically, the car will be most consistent and happiest around 370-390whp on pump gas and stock turbo. A custom tune can get you close but it's not worth chasing numbers on this platform. The car will be good for high 11s and a 115-117 trap in the quarter mile with these mods, if you're into that type of stuff.

Good luck with the build!
Tons of great info here, thanks a bunch for all the knowledge! High 11's with a 115-117 is very respectable, excited to start this build!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 11:51 PM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Full bolt on with BM3 Stage 2 will get you close.

The Stage 2 Racegas tune put my car just over 400 to the wheels on a mobile Dynojet. (running 93 octane with boostane to make around 102 octane)

Realistically if you want over 400, youll need to upgrade fueling. HPFP and some ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:17 PM   #7
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Anyone know if 6.5 inch intercoolers fit just fine? Not trying to do any modifications to the engine bay to make it fit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #8
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Downshift View Post
Anyone know if 6.5 inch intercoolers fit just fine? Not trying to do any modifications to the engine bay to make it fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Downshift View Post
Yup just fine

If you r interested in joining our GTA WhatsApp group pls me

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 01:55 AM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I'd refrain from intake and catback as they're purely acoustic and thus irrelevant mods at the power level you're looking at.

Except for the cats you will want to use only those fitted with HJS core, feel free to go with any brands with the rest of fbo set.
      05-20-2021, 03:32 AM   #10
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I'd refrain from intake and catback as they're purely acoustic and thus irrelevant mods at the power level you're looking at.

Except for the cats you will want to use only those fitted with HJS core, feel free to go with any brands with the rest of fbo set.
Ya that makes sense, it's looking like we're going with Wagner for the sport cats. I was under the impression that intake could help when tuning but even if it doesn't the extra sounds are a plus. They usually don't cost too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #11
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Have you considered driving 1-2 gears lower than usual? This would provide as much wheelspin as you want and/or acceleration...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 02:08 AM   #12
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Have you considered driving 1-2 gears lower than usual? This would provide as much wheelspin as you want and/or acceleration...
Not looking for more wheelspin, looking for more power.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #13
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

"Power is potential top speed, torque is how quickly you get there"

Discuss...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Intercooler:
VRSF 6.5 Competition Intercooler

Charge pipe:
Chargepipe
Chargepipe(VRSF one works with their intercooler as well)

Intake:
Intake filter

For Downpipes - if you want it to be CEL free, there are only 4 options: CG Precision, Active Auto, FabSpeed and Akrapovic. Do the cheapest one, because it's still good.
If you don't need the CEL free guarantee, any other Catted downpipe will work

Downpipe (CEL free):
GC Precision downpipe
Active Autowerke downpipe

Downpipe Catted (no CEL guarantee):
VRSF Catted downpipe
I sent this to another member here
      05-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #15
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Another relatively inexpensive bolt on mod is changing the turbo inlet pipe.

My mechanic recommended running 1 step colder spark plugs and I think it helped somewhat. Then I mix some E85 into my supposedly 93 RON fuel to ensure my Stage 2 map runs nicely, and that's about as fast as you can get without changing fuelling or turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #16
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Dinan resonator delete pipe and a catless DP made my car sound pretty insane with the stock muffler. Everyone says how good it sounds.

I want the dinan exhaust because I want the valve to actually open up to a straight pipe like the dinan exhaust does.
Appreciate 0