F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > HID to LED
Studio RSR

05-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sedan

HID to LED

Hi All,

Curious if anyone has replaced their stock D1S xenon bulbs with an LED conversion set similar to the ones at the link below. The interesting thing about these versus other kits is that they don't require any modification to the ballast. My OEM bulbs are fine, albeit feel rather dim since I have another vehicle with a full LED system. Would doing a conversion like this throw any error codes? Is it best to replace the stock bulbs with OSRAM CBI or Nightbreakers and avoid the LED kits? Let me know what you think.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08DQSRN3P/...WE635HH8Z7QPDF
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHF30 View Post
Hi All,

Curious if anyone has replaced their stock D1S xenon bulbs with an LED conversion set similar to the ones at the link below. The interesting thing about these versus other kits is that they don't require any modification to the ballast. My OEM bulbs are fine, albeit feel rather dim since I have another vehicle with a full LED system. Would doing a conversion like this throw any error codes? Is it best to replace the stock bulbs with OSRAM CBI or Nightbreakers and avoid the LED kits? Let me know what you think.

With your OEM HID system, I am skeptical you will get better output by replacing the bulb with an LED bulb. I would suggest replacing your bulb with a new HID bulb from Philips or Osram. HID bulbs will get dimmer in their lifecycle so you prob just need new bulbs, depending on how many hours you already have on them.

I recommend either:
- brighter than OEM, same color: Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs or Philips extreme vision gen 2
- whiter color, still slightly brighter than OEM: Osram cool blue intense or Osram cool blue boost. I personally have tried both the CBI and CBBs and love the CBBs.

If you live in an area with frequent inclement weather, the Nightbreaker Laser is prob your best bet.

I'm not sure what other car with LEDs you are comparing to, but I think if that other car has OEM LEDs I think that's different from installing aftermarket LED bulbs in your car. Personally, I had a loaner F30 with the led headlights and I found my HIDs to be brighter with a more even beam pattern.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

With your OEM HID system, I am skeptical you will get better output by replacing the bulb with an LED bulb. I would suggest replacing your bulb with a new HID bulb from Philips or Osram. HID bulbs will get dimmer in their lifecycle so you prob just need new bulbs, depending on how many hours you already have on them.

I recommend either:
- brighter than OEM, same color: Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs or Philips extreme vision gen 2
- whiter color, still slightly brighter than OEM: Osram cool blue intense or Osram cool blue boost. I personally have tried both the CBI and CBBs and love the CBBs.

If you live in an area with frequent inclement weather, the Nightbreaker Laser is prob your best bet.

I'm not sure what other car with LEDs you are comparing to, but I think if that other car has OEM LEDs I think that's different from installing aftermarket LED bulbs in your car. Personally, I had a loaner F30 with the led headlights and I found my HIDs to be brighter with a more even beam pattern.
Interesting, I was leaning towards the CBI but will definitely look into the CBBs as well. What's your experience with respect to their life span? Have you had to replace them? The OEM set I have in my '13 are original to car so they have definitely seen better days lol.

The LEDs piqued my interest because of their cost in comparison to the OSRAM and success with throwing aftermarket led bulbs into old cars with projectors. I've put in a pair of $30 Aukee HID bulbs into a couple of cars for relatives and they're pretty great. Feel brighter and whiter than my F30.

For reference, the other vehicle is a '17 Mazda CX-9. Pretty impressed by the overall brightness and throw distance on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

I recommend either:

Interesting, I was leaning towards the CBI but will definitely look into the CBBs as well. What's your experience with respect to their life span? Have you had to replace them? The OEM set I have in my '13 are original to car so they have definitely seen better days lol.

The LEDs piqued my interest because of their cost in comparison to the OSRAM and success with throwing aftermarket led bulbs into old cars with projectors. I've put in a pair of $30 Aukee HID bulbs into a couple of cars for relatives and they're pretty great. Feel brighter and whiter than my F30.

For reference, the other vehicle is a '17 Mazda CX-9. Pretty impressed by the overall brightness and throw distance on it.
I swapped out my OEMs about ~5 years in, although I didn't feel like their performance degraded noticeably. I mostly wanted to try the CBIs at the time to get a whiter color. I only had the CBIs on for prob 60 hours or so but decided to swap for CBBs. The CBIs were brighter than OEM but I wanted an even whiter color. The CBBs are amazing, I love them. Nice white color and noticeably brighter than the CBIs. It's been about 2 years since I've had them and no issues. Our other car is an '19 Audi Q5 and my HIDs are noticeably brighter than the OEM LEDs in that car.

If you're curious here's a thread I did on comparing the CBIs vs CBBs.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1601069

Full disclosure though, I did have a projector clear lens swap done on my headlights which improves the cutoff and spread of the light.

Do you drive your car a lot / or a lot of night time miles or kms?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Im going to be purchasing a set of LED bulbs and see what happens. Keep you posted
Appreciate 1
MHF30123.50
      05-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #6
nako16
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed27 View Post
Im going to be purchasing a set of LED bulbs and see what happens. Keep you posted
If you can post some pics/videos when you're done. Would love to see the final product.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
Rockinryan2424
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi m sport

Quote:
Hi All,

HID>LED in every aspect I guess if you wanted to save money if the bulb went out that's a good way but I doubt you'll see any improvement but post pics I'm curious to see
      06-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
MHF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinryan2424 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

HID>LED in every aspect I guess if you wanted to save money if the bulb went out that's a good way but I doubt you'll see any improvement but post pics I'm curious to see
Yeah, I'm personally leaning towards the CBI or CBB mentioned by chuckles01 above now, but am curious to see what the LEDs would look like.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Rockinryan2424
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi m sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinryan2424 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

Yeah, I'm personally leaning towards the CBI or CBB mentioned by chuckles01 above now, but am curious to see what the LEDs would look like.
Try it i think we all are, it'll be cool to see how much of a difference it really is cause people have pushed HIDS so much and maybe there overhyped only one way to find out.