Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 330i B48 BOV/DV spacer??

05-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
pewpew392
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

330i B48 BOV/DV spacer??

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for quite a while now for a BOV or DV spacer for my 2019 G20 330i but haven't had any luck finding one.. Has anyone installed one yet on their G20 or know of any brand that sells them for our cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #2
MWhiteG20
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M40i

I am also interested. I believe that BigBoost has a BOV chargepipe? I've heard that they began selling them awhile ago however don't quote me. I've tried contacting them but to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

The B48/58 doesn't utilize a bov or dv.

The dme simply closes off the throttle between shifts or when you let off the gas

With that says, nothing really prevents you from installing one
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
pewpew392
Private
Rep

Do you know of any brand for a BOV that will fit our turbos?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

You're asking the wrong question

There's no compatibility for a blow off valve for brands. A blow off valve is in it's most simplest form just a valve connected to your intake track (post turbo pre throttle) that opens in response to boost pressure above some threshold. There's no such XYZ brand must be used with ABC turbo/car/make.

What you should be asking is;
-do I need one?
-what do I "want" it for?
-what benefits/(costs) are involved with getting one?

Do I need one ?

How much boost are you making on your setup ? the lower the boost, the less of a need there is in getting a BOV/DV. To be completely honest there's very little need for a BOV/DV pretty much ever (if you're on the stock B48/58 turbo). Sure they prevent surge but compressor surge during shifts is a VERY intermittent issue and doesn't stress components very much.

Furthermore, modern ECUs will actuate the electronic wastegate as well as throttle during shifts (even if you're pinned WOT on the gas pedal) which combined with the fact that shifts happen really quickly with the ZF8spd, the issues of boost spikes is largely mitigated.

Why you "want" it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you want it for the choo choo noises as opposed to what these devices are actually FOR.

What benefits/(costs) are involved with getting one?

Well you'll need a custom made charge pipe (the only connection between turbo outlet and throttle body) that will accept a BOV.

You will extend the life of your turbo ... a bit ... if you're running high boost.

Your a/f ratios will be messed up during shifts and when you sharply lift off the throttle as your MAF sensor reading is gonna be "wrong" since you dump a bunch of air overboard. This is probably much less of an issue in newer cars which operate on a closed loop cycle far more than older cars. This should be easy to "tune out" if you have a flash tune/custom tune but if you're just on a JB4 or something, you're stuck with whatever BMW gave you.

A physical BOV makes "on the fly" map switching MUCH more difficult given you cant really expect a BOV with a set actuation point to work equally well on a "high boost" map AND a "low boost" map (being able to change tunes on the fly is one of the MAJOR "wins" of modern day tuning vs old school tuning a decade ago).

Honestly if you're on a stock turbo and just tuning to the edge of what the stock turbo can do (22PSI on a B48/B58 platform) then you probably don't "need" a BOV/DV. It probably makes more sense to just keep running on the stock turbo at this level and if eventually it goes, upgrade/rebuild it to a hybrid or get a bigger turbo and THEN decide whether a BOV/DV setup is necessary.

Last edited by Knifeedge2k1; 06-03-2021 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: clarified
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
pewpew392
Private
Rep

Wow. Thank you for the detailed and informative response. I really appreciate it! I was actually reading up on this after your first comment and think I might switch out my dinan intake for the Eventuri intake seeing that it might have what I am looking for. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #7
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpew392 View Post
Wow. Thank you for the detailed and informative response. I really appreciate it! I was actually reading up on this after your first comment and think I might switch out my dinan intake for the Eventuri intake seeing that it might have what I am looking for. Thanks again!
If you are interested in selling your Dinan intake, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 11:11 AM   #8
a-socal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330I xDrive

So I am tuned via piggyback and at 22-23 psi boost. I got the coding done and have a drop in filter (K&N).

I do notice a significant spooling sound in the turbo, but to, make sure that my engine and turbo are healthy should I do a BOV?

I am more of a practical modder you can say so I want my engine to perform at a good power but also be at a healthy state. Leme know folks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #9
AzzaF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330I

stick an MST intake on it and you really dont need a BOV, it makes enough noise as it is
Appreciate 0