BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

My first long drive in my M3C - first review

This morning I got up early and put 100 miles on the car in various settings but frankly the best was just driving along the ocean.

When this car was first shown I had seen the large grills for the X cars and was thinking BMW had lost their collective minds. For some reason I found this web-site and as a lurker read most of your comments for a couple of months. Some of you parroted my concerns but some openly said the car looked better in person ( I had not seen it and the Auto Show was cancelled this year obviously) so I kept reading.

Unfortunately two things had happened in a short time, I realized that my purchase of a 2020 AMG CLA45 was a dire mistake ( I like over-engined smaller cars) and selling my exclusive color RS3 only made it worse. I already knew my CLA45 was not long for my ownership, it had a long break-in ( 1200 miles) and I have the fortunate problem of several cars to drive so it was painful accumulating them...by the time I did I had discovered Mercedes build quality was a travesty. Sure it was a over-engined CLA but basic things I wouldn't expect on a 20k Toyota were manifesting daily on the car.

I started looking at M3's with more than a casual interest only to discover every dealer thought they were made of gold.

At the same time I knew I did not want to take a total bath in the AMG. While all this was going on my wife's electric Porsche arrived and I was driving that thinking maybe I could just get one of those albeit the Turbo S ( she has the 4S) but we have now discovered the joys of range anxiety so back to ICE for me.

Well in one of my searches it led to my current M3, texts and emails, prices and counter blows but over the course of 6 hours we reached a deal and I went and bought it. There was some humorous aspects, like the owner explaining they could have made over MSRP and they were fine giving me a military discount but they won on the trade in....for some reason they thought I paid MSRP, when I revealed what I paid that smirk seemed to shrink a bit. Then of course they forgot to charge me for the window tint they applied that morning that they were going to markup a whopping 1k ( sigh)

I have had 3 M cars before this, a E30 M3 ( I just don't get the crazy adoration) E46 ( loved) and a E60 M5. But mainly being a Porsche owner over the years I was a bit leery of what to expect with this car.

Ok, all that chit chat out of the way I can say I am absolutely delighted with the handling and power of this car. I track a 2019 GT3 about 6-7 times a year at Willow, streets and long. This car is not a GT3 but gives a very good 4 door impression of it!

I'm impressed by the interior and technology. The RS3 had the first virtual cockpit and had a bit more flexibility but this one is cleaner and has a HUD. The AMG had the new dual screens and a lot of adjustability plus a HUD but half of the right screen was obscured by the steering wheel.

The seats on the M3 are awesome. The RS3 seats were manual albeit comfortable but on a 80k car ( I had an exclusive color) sort of stupid. The AMG had the 4k option of something akin to massaging seats that looked great and no complaints

Power...the RS3 had turbo lag but once engaged was very quick. I think we all know what the motor was capable of with mods. The sound was absolutely intoxicating. The AMG once it reached 1200 miles in RACE mode was very, very fun. The car was surprisingly nimble. In fact the recent Car and Driver had that exact car finishing ahead of many true sports car in their yearly shootout. The M3 seems to have endless power but I don't know as I just hit 340 miles! But the agility belies it's girth, interesting engineering. Reminds me of my old Porsche Macan GTS, how they can make these big cars accomplish this is amazing!

Looks- The RS3, well mine had an amazing color but the RS cars tend to be bland anyway, it was handsome at best. The CLA45 takes handsome to a younger level with the coupe like styling. I liked how it looked but never really looked at it as I walked away.

I won't lie, I bought a RS4 because of the flares, didn't like the car all that much but it was the wide ass that drew me. The car in my garage I just stare at and rarely if ever drive is a 1989 Porsche 930, the RS4 I swear had the same sized flares...the M3C...the same. I kept staring at all your pictures and comments and when I saw it with my own eyes ( when I went to pick up my car was the first in person viewing) I knew I was right.

I love my color even though I bitched privately to friends about Nardo being primer or Fashion Grey on my friends Spyder. If I was more patient and I still might, get an individual color, Mint Green for the LCI.

The car has presence, I look back every time I have parked it.

My UPS driver who has seen most of my cars over the years as he brings me mods all the time says this is his favorite car so far. That seems to be the universal comment, so much better in person. I heard that when I bought a 2020 Supra, so much better in person.

Well that will be the most I ever write on this board. If you're on the fence, go look at it!

Last edited by MarineRaider; 06-06-2021 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 18
zamboni1132.00
02M3ForMe4267.50
LSP72.00
The Dad88.50
ipuk42.00
EXE462101.50
Transfer5260.00
CJ4211566.50
rideontwo189.50
SDRX204.00
heavyD^23688.50
KevinM2935.50
AIRHEIR443.50
freesole230.50
KO768.00
      06-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Nice write up and thanks for sharing, did you get it from Newport Beach BMW or elsewhere?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Nice write up and thanks for sharing, did you get it from Newport Beach BMW or elsewhere?
Sterling ( NB dealership) had 10k markup, Crevier was at 15-20 depending on car, weather, what the sales manager had to lunch, South Bay where I had bought 7 cars wanted 10k for a frozen white I wanted...I ended up going to North County SD for this one. ( about 55 miles away I believe) But since spending many a night at MCB Pendleton it's always like going home when I head that way...a good omen.
Appreciate 5
      06-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
This morning I got up early and put 100 miles on the car in various settings but frankly the best was just driving along the ocean.

When this car was first shown I had seen the large grills for the X cars and was thinking BMW had lost their collective minds. For some reason I found this web-site and as a lurker read most of your comments for a couple of months. Some of you parroted my concerns but some openly said the car looked better in person ( I had not seen it and the Auto Show was cancelled this year obviously) so I kept reading.

Unfortunately two things had happened in a short time, I realized that my purchase of a 2020 AMG CLA45 was a dire mistake ( I like over-engined smaller cars) and selling my exclusive color RS3 only made it worse. I already knew my CLA45 was not long for my ownership, it had a long break-in ( 1200 miles) and I have the fortunate problem of several cars to drive so it was painful accumulating them...by the time I did I had discovered Mercedes build quality was a travesty. Sure it was a over-engined CLA but basic things I wouldn't expect on a 20k Toyota were manifesting daily on the car.

I started looking at M3's with more than a casual interest only to discover every dealer thought they were made of gold.

At the same time I knew I did not want to take a total bath in the AMG. While all this was going on my wife's electric Porsche arrived and I was driving that thinking maybe I could just get one of those albeit the Turbo S ( she has the 4S) but we have now discovered the joys of range anxiety so back to ICE for me.

Well in one of my searches it led to my current M3, texts and emails, prices and counter blows but over the course of 6 hours we reached a deal and I went and bought it. There was some humorous aspects, like the owner explaining they could have made over MSRP and they were fine giving me a military discount but they won on the trade in....for some reason they thought I paid MSRP, when I revealed what I paid that smirk seemed to shrink a bit. Then of course they forgot to charge me for the window tint they applied that morning that they were going to markup a whopping 1k ( sigh)

I have had 3 M cars before this, a E30 M3 ( I just don't get the crazy adoration) E46 ( loved) and a E60 M5. But mainly being a Porsche owner over the years I was a bit leery of what to expect with this car.

Ok, all that chit chat out of the way I can say I am absolutely delighted with the handling and power of this car. I track a 2019 GT3 about 6-7 times a year at Willow, streets and long. This car is not a GT3 but gives a very good 4 door impression of it!

I'm impressed by the interior and technology. The RS3 had the first virtual cockpit and had a bit more flexibility but this one is cleaner and has a HUD. The AMG had the new dual screens and a lot of adjustability plus a HUD but half of the right screen was obscured by the steering wheel.

The seats on the M3 are awesome. The RS3 seats were manual albeit comfortable but on a 80k car ( I had an exclusive color) sort of stupid. The AMG had the 4k option of something akin to massaging seats that looked great and no complaints

Power...the RS3 had turbo lag but once engaged was very quick. I think we all know what the motor was capable of with mods. The sound was absolutely intoxicating. The AMG once it reached 1200 miles in RACE mode was very, very fun. The car was surprisingly nimble. In fact the recent Car and Driver had that exact car finishing ahead of many true sports car in their yearly shootout. The M3 seems to have endless power but I don't know as I just hit 340 miles! But the agility belies it's girth, interesting engineering. Reminds me of my old Porsche Macan GTS, how they can make these big cars accomplish this is amazing!

Looks- The RS3, well mine had an amazing color but the RS cars tend to be bland anyway, it was handsome at best. The CLA45 takes handsome to a younger level with the coupe like styling. I liked how it looked but never really looked at it as I walked away.

I won't lie, I bought a RS4 because of the flares, didn't like the car all that much but it was the wide ass that drew me. The car in my garage I just stare at and rarely if ever drive is a 1989 Porsche 930, the RS4 I swear had the same sized flares...the M3C...the same. I kept staring at all your pictures and comments and when I saw it with my own eyes ( when I went to pick up my car was the first in person viewing) I knew I was right.

I love my color even though I bitched privately to friends about Nardo being primer or Fashion Grey on my friends Spyder. If I was more patient and I still might, get an individual color, Mint Green for the LCI.

My UPS driver who has seen most of my cars over the years as he brings me mods all the time says this is his favorite car so far. That seems to be the universal comment, so much better in person. I heard that when I bought a 2020 Supra, so much better in person.

Well that will be the most I ever write on this board. If you're on the fence, go look at it!
Nice write up. I've put almost 1000 miles on mine in a week and can't wait until the break in process is done.

These cars looks so much better in person than they do in photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Nice write up. I've put almost 1000 miles on mine in a week and can't wait until the break in process is done.

These cars looks so much better in person than they do in photos.
Thank you.

I wish all of you would find ways to mention what you've owned previously. I enjoy reading how people arrived at whatever car they choose. Life is far too short to not enjoy it...fully.
Appreciate 1
zamboni1132.00
      06-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
kayt69
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' X3M

Garage List
2024 G01 X3M  [0.00]
Quote:

I read through your post and found pretty interesting thing about how you feel good looking at the wide stance of M3 rear. You should consider installing wheel spacers if you havent done it yet, and you will absolutely love it.

Here is the link:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...r-kit-14mm-lug
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Quote:
While all this was going on my wife's electric Porsche arrived and I was driving that thinking maybe I could just get one of those albeit the Turbo S ( she has the 4S) but we have now discovered the joys of range anxiety so back to ICE for me.
How does the Taycan 4S drive/feel compared to other cars? Have you tried a Turbo S?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Sterling ( NB dealership) had 10k markup, Crevier was at 15-20 depending on car, weather, what the sales manager had to lunch, South Bay where I had bought 7 cars wanted 10k for a frozen white I wanted...I ended up going to North County SD for this one. ( about 55 miles away I believe) But since spending many a night at MCB Pendleton it's always like going home when I head that way...a good omen.
I got my F80 from Newport Beach and they offered much bigger discount compared to Norcal I had to travel to Newport Beach to take delivered, a total of $12K off MSRP $80K I couldn't pass up the deal.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayt69 View Post
I read through your post and found pretty interesting thing about how you feel good looking at the wide stance of M3 rear. You should consider installing wheel spacers if you havent done it yet, and you will absolutely love it.

Here is the link:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...r-kit-14mm-lug
Thanks, already done!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #10
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
How does the Taycan 4S drive/feel compared to other cars? Have you tried a Turbo S?
The Taycan is blistering fast in both 4S and Turbo S form, I have driven the Turbo S. They are heavy but since the skateboard holding the batteries is so low it actually handles very well considering the weight.

Porsche knows how to make sports cars even when they are heavy/bloated.

The technology and build quality are typical Porsche, the problem with them and everything not Tesla outside of your home charger ( we have one) the infrastructure...is really lacking.

Fully charged or 90% they don't want it to be 100% we are getting about 175 miles per charge. We connect it ever night so it has not been an issue. However a drive to Napa would require planning, luck and twice the time.
Appreciate 1
Moo162.00
      06-06-2021, 11:57 PM   #11
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Have to say. In the Monday I was ready to put down a deposit on a C63S when a mate of mine said to "wait!" He had just got his G80(M3). Next day he took me for a drive, was blown away. Thursday, went to BMW and picked up a G82(M4)🤪to drive over the weekend🤯😃😍🤪😎. My build date is the second week July..... too long for my liking however, so much to look forward to.....😎😎😎😎! Test drive car pic attached:
Attached Images

02M3ForMe4267.50
heavyD^23688.50
      06-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #12
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
The Taycan is blistering fast in both 4S and Turbo S form, I have driven the Turbo S. They are heavy but since the skateboard holding the batteries is so low it actually handles very well considering the weight.

Porsche knows how to make sports cars even when they are heavy/bloated.

The technology and build quality are typical Porsche, the problem with them and everything not Tesla outside of your home charger ( we have one) the infrastructure...is really lacking.

Fully charged or 90% they don't want it to be 100% we are getting about 175 miles per charge. We connect it ever night so it has not been an issue. However a drive to Napa would require planning, luck and twice the time.
I would term the M3/4 "Gateway" cars. The only way from there on is a Porsche 911+++++
      06-07-2021, 02:22 AM   #13
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Quote:
Unfortunately two things had happened in a short time, I realized that my purchase of a 2020 AMG CLA45 was a dire mistake ( I like over-engined smaller cars) and selling my exclusive color RS3 only made it worse.
This is really interesting.

I've just ordered an M3comp Xdrive, due to arrive late august here in Italy. But....I've got a problem. I've got also a wonderful M140i 5 door....and I'm not sure what to do. I'm considering to hold it even if the M3 is coming, because, as you, I love overengined small cars.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

Appreciate the write up. I was 100% looking at a CLA45, and had thought about an RS3 for a few years. I honestly probably would have gone for the CLA45-s if it was offered, love the over achieving small engine and the interior with the MBUX looked nice in photos. I didn't have the patience to wait for the next gen RS3.

In the end made the big jump to the M..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #15
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:

Congrats on the new addition. Just curious, how much below MSRP were you able to negotiate out of that SD dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #16
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Replies-

The A45S hatch would have been my pick if we could have gotten that or the CLA45S. The engine even in US form is awesome, hand built and very fun. The build quality of the car itself is what drove me nuts. Perhaps I was unlucky but I do not think so, the SA told me when I mentioned the rattles, creaks and groans " it's a CLA after all" I made a mistake, period. I lost 8500 total for 5 months ownership which everything considered was not too bad.

How much did I get off...you know how car deals go some here there and a haircut there...I got a whopping 500 off MSRP, cost for the maintenance and tire/wheel and I knew exactly what cost was from my source at Auto Nation. They offered me 53, then 58 and eventually we settled on 61200 on the CLA. So I sort of count that as part of the overall " deal"
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 06:05 AM   #17
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

I didn't see you mention which seats you have, the carbon or standard (maybe I missed it).

If you have the carbon seats, wondering if they became uncomfortable after a longer trip at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #18
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

I think I've said this about almost every car I've owned, re: it looks better in person than in photos.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      07-07-2021, 01:37 PM   #19
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

OP would you happen to be a fellow Raiders fan? Thanks for the read and it's a shame to hear MB still hasn't rectified their interior quality issues. They are really good at making interior designs that are pleasing to the eye but are hard to live with because of all the rattles and creaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #20
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

MB needs to work on a lot of things. I owned a ‘19 AMG C63 sedan for about 4 months. It was hands down the worst car I’d ever owned. All kinds of electrical gremlins. The auto stop/start system shut off at a light and the car wouldn’t restart for 15 minutes.

Sitting in an intersection with hazards on for 15 minutes in a $75K car. Never again.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #21
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Thanks for the writeup. Just out of curiosity, if you have the means to purchase a Taycan turbo s (in addition to the Taycan you already have), what in the world were you doing driving around in a CLA/RS3? I know you mentioned you enjoy over-engined small cars, but there are MUCH better options than those 2.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #22
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Thanks for the writeup. Just out of curiosity, if you have the means to purchase a Taycan turbo s (in addition to the Taycan you already have), what in the world were you doing driving around in a CLA/RS3? I know you mentioned you enjoy over-engined small cars, but there are MUCH better options than those 2.
Really? name them.
Appreciate 0