BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
molcos
Norway
Rep
Drives: IX3

IX3 Side vent removal - Help

Hi,

I am in the process of changing the side vents on my IX3 but i need to do it myself or find a shop that can do it for me.

I have bought the OEM X3M side vents as they look much better imo.

I have looked on youtube and only found one video that looks to be correct.

But the vents on the IX3 is not the same so i am hoping someone can tell me if there is a difference or if the process is the same?
The IX3 vents are wider so getting a pry tool in on the opposite side might be harder?

I have reached out to JimPastell on this forum as he has done this mod himself, hopefully he can help me out.

Regards
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
JimPastell
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 G01

Garage List
You got PM
      06-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
JimPastell
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Some pics so you see the backside
Attached Images

06-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #4
molcos
Norway
Rep

Thanks for the pictures, helped a lot.
I am slightly worried that the parts i bought will not fit as they look a bit different from the original IX3 parts. might be fine but i want to be sure before i pull off the original parts.

The part numbers are

There is a part that can be removed, but i have only removed the clips on one side as the other side were a bit tricky so i did not pry to hard. But it seems like that part go into the car and the you press on the side vent into that part?

But this is just me speculating here as it's hard to find material online for this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
molcos
Norway
Rep

If someone could verify if the new ones will fit, that would be great
Iv'e heard that the X3M F97 vents should work on the X3 G01 but might need some double sided adhesive tape to make it stick properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:04 AM   #6
JimPastell
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by molcos View Post
If someone could verify if the new ones will fit, that would be great
Iv'e heard that the X3M F97 vents should work on the X3 G01 but might need some double sided adhesive tape to make it stick properly.
The fender on the iX3 is the same so they will fit perfectly
Attached Images

06-09-2021, 05:52 AM   #7
molcos
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPastell View Post
The fender on the iX3 is the same so they will fit perfectly
Thank you so much for the pictures and the mail, i am now pretty confident that i will not mess up the installation.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
Clairtje
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWIX3

Ja is hier een video van!?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by molcos View Post
Hi,

I am in the process of changing the side vents on my IX3 but i need to do it myself or find a shop that can do it for me.

I have bought the OEM X3M side vents as they look much better imo.

I have looked on youtube and only found one video that looks to be correct.

But the vents on the IX3 is not the same so i am hoping someone can tell me if there is a difference or if the process is the same?
The IX3 vents are wider so getting a pry tool in on the opposite side might be harder?

I have reached out to JimPastell on this forum as he has done this mod himself, hopefully he can help me out.

Regards
Did you complete this task, I would be really interested to hear how it went and to see some images.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:16 AM   #10
E Hahn
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Was also not a big fan of the standard iX3 “fish gill” looking side vents and opted to replace with them with standard X-line side vents. In light of the LCI model coming out with the slimmed down version, figured from an aerodynamic point of you it would make no impact otherwise BMW would not have changed them.
Simple enough to do and prefer these over the huge side vents the car came with. As my car is white with a lot of chrome and silver accents opted for these as I felt they were more in line with overall look of the iX3.
Attached Images

Last edited by E Hahn; 01-05-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 1
RedJon116.50
      01-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Hahn View Post
Was also not a big fan of the standard iX3 “fish gill” looking side vents and opted to replace with them with standard X-line side vents. In light of the LCI model coming out with the slimmed down version, figured from an aerodynamic point of you it would make no impact otherwise BMW would not have changed them.
Simple enough to do and prefer these over the huge side vents the car came with. As my car is white with a lot of chrome and silver accents opted for these as I felt they were more in line with overall look of the iX3.
How do you remove the standard ones? Is it a case of prising them off from the bottom?

I may just give them a coat of black spray paint.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2022, 03:15 AM   #12
E Hahn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
How do you remove the standard ones? Is it a case of prising them off from the bottom?

I may just give them a coat of black spray paint.

Just to clarify, do you want to remove the chrome "plate" and spray this black and put it back on the car? Look the same shape but change colour, or remove and replace with version like I have but all in black?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 07:27 AM   #13
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Just to clarify, do you want to remove the chrome "plate" and spray this black and put it back on the car? Look the same shape but change colour, or remove and replace with version like I have but all in black?
Yes. Remove and respray the supplied chrome pieces. I’m not bothered about the shape.

Do they just prise off?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:03 AM   #14
E Hahn
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Remove and respray the supplied chrome pieces. I’m not bothered about the shape.

Do they just prise off?
Okay, in that case all you need is a plastic trim tool which I bought very cheaply on line or anything flat that won’t damage the plate or plastic behind. If you see the first picture above posted by JimPastell you can see two elements: the chrome part and black plastic part (same shape).
The chrome part unclips quite easily off the black plastic frame which is attached to car. Simply insert plastic trim tool between chrome and backing plate and gently pry off. I started on the longest edge of the ‘triangle’ facing the door. Sure once you done spraying, it will be a case of clipping back onto the black frame on the car.
Appreciate 1
GDEvans404.50
      01-12-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
Brheik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Quote:
Quote:

Do they just prise off?
Okay, in that case all you need is a plastic trim tool which I bought very cheaply on line or anything flat that won’t damage the plate or plastic behind. If you see the first picture above posted by JimPastell you can see two elements: the chrome part and black plastic part (same shape).
The chrome part unclips quite easily off the black plastic frame which is attached to car. Simply insert plastic trim tool between chrome and backing plate and gently pry off. I started on the longest edge of the ‘triangle’ facing the door. Sure once you done spraying, it will be a case of clipping back onto the black frame on the car.
Send a picture when you are done