Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Unusual behaviour from stock B46 engine

06-15-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
bombstar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' 330i Sport Line

Unusual behaviour from stock B46 engine

So I'll preface this with the fact that my car has had…a lot replaced due to issues caused by the engine wiring harness TSB so maybe other electrical or similar issues shouldn't be so surprising.

I've noticed that during spirited driving and once or twice on the highway that my car has very strange rev hang (even at lower RPM) and a big drop in torque at about 5000 rpm or so. I figured it may have been due to heat soak on the spirited drives but all temps were well within the norm.

These two codes especially seem to come up quite a lot:

10D000: Combustion engine: torque limitation active 24000B: Timeout data EWS

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Hoping to avoid yet another dealer trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombstar View Post
So I'll preface this with the fact that my car has had…a lot replaced due to issues caused by the engine wiring harness TSB so maybe other electrical or similar issues shouldn't be so surprising.

I've noticed that during spirited driving and once or twice on the highway that my car has very strange rev hang (even at lower RPM) and a big drop in torque at about 5000 rpm or so. I figured it may have been due to heat soak on the spirited drives but all temps were well within the norm.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Hoping to avoid yet another dealer trip.
I've done a few logs on my stock car and I've noticed that boost drops at around 5000rpms and above. There's more boost between 2500-5000 and then drops after that. Probably why you feel it.

Regarding rev hangs. I haven't noticed it but you might be right. I'll pay more attention and report.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I've done a few logs on my stock car and I've noticed that boost drops at around 5000rpms and above. There's more boost between 2500-5000 and then drops after that. Probably why you feel it.

Regarding rev hangs. I haven't noticed it but you might be right. I'll pay more attention and report.
Same. If you look at the dyno's for these engines, you see the power falling off after 5k rpm. I especially feel this after tuning because of the large gain in torque and power at the mid-range. I was actually thinking about this today and wish the power was gained at the top, as the car stock or tuned falls off at the top of the RPM range.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1943.00
      06-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #4
bombstar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' 330i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post

Same. If you look at the dyno's for these engines, you see the power falling off after 5k rpm. I especially feel this after tuning because of the large gain in torque and power at the mid-range. I was actually thinking about this today and wish the power was gained at the top, as the car stock or tuned falls off at the top of the RPM range.
What I'm seeing seems to be very severe though, seems similar to the power cutting tuned cars have been having.

I'm still not 100% sure it isn't some kind of limp mode from heat soak, but all temps, pressures etc looked normal in the logs.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:33 AM   #5
sddz6269
Private
China
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombstar View Post

I was faced with exactly the same two DTC codes. But what came up on my car was a complete limp mode once the torque was too high. No power at all even under wot.

I asked Halim who's the tuner of Bootmod3 for this and he said it was due to OEM torque limitation.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:15 PM   #6
4cylenjoyer
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddz6269 View Post
I was faced with exactly the same two DTC codes. But what came up on my car was a complete limp mode once the torque was too high. No power at all even under wot.

I asked Halim who's the tuner of Bootmod3 for this and he said it was due to OEM torque limitation.
Do you know if XHP will fix this? I keep getting the same shadow code “10D000- Combustion engine- torque limitation active” when trying to datalog WOT on my e-85 map, and it pulls timing bc of the torque limitation code Im guessing. It holds timing on partial throttle so I hope xhp will fix my issue with the timing pulls.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2023, 11:59 PM   #7
4cylenjoyer
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cylenjoyer View Post
Do you know if XHP will fix this? I keep getting the same shadow code “10D000- Combustion engine- torque limitation active” when trying to datalog WOT on my e-85 map, and it pulls timing bc of the torque limitation code Im guessing. It holds timing on partial throttle so I hope xhp will fix my issue with the timing pulls.
Xhp stage 3 did not fix this (( … still getting the same shadow codes unfortunately
Appreciate 0