bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-19-2021, 04:15 AM   #1
estoque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition 1995 850Ci

Frozen color repairs?

How hard is it to fix frozen cars after accidents? I came up to my car and saw this I’m devastated…it’s not gonna be a simple respray should I just go to the dealer and tell them to help fix it? Only a week after getting my m4

Last edited by estoque; 06-22-2021 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:45 AM   #2
Jsun21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3, BMW M440i

I would say take it to the dealer, since they would be most familiar with frozen paint. If possible take to a dealer where they handle a good amount of individual cars. Purchased a Cpo frozen brilliant white g11 not too long ago from Century West BMW. Front bumper had some scuffs and had the license plate holes. Asked if the dealer could respray the front bumper as the car is a cpo after all and shouldn't have the scuffs on the front bumper. Dealer agreed to respray the front bumper free of charge and it came out perfect. Color match was good. It's a tiny bit off but I would say it's very well done for a frozen color. They did mentioned that they had to respray twice. But hey it's free so why not. Overall was satisfied as it came out good. First 3 pics are before. Last pic is after. Sorry didn't have any pics of the after outside under the sun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #3
Jsun21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanish View Post
How hard is it to fix frozen cars after accidents? I came up to my car and saw this I’m devastated…it’s not gonna be a simple respray should I just go to the dealer and tell them to help fix it? Only a week after getting my m4

I see that you're in the Los Angeles area. Century West BMW in studio city is known for their individual selections. Also the body shop is on site. Front bumper respray for me took almost 2 weeks. Was skeptical since it took so long but I'm glad that it turned out great.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2025 M3 Comp xDrive

I'd certainly follow the advice above and take it to the dealer. Most dealers farm out their body repairs to local shops. You may pay a bit more, but I am always more comfortable with having a dealer stand behind their work than Bob's Body Shop. It's the same reason I take my winter tires to BMW to get changed out. I can do it at a local tire shop for less, but if they scratch my rims, I can always go to the manager, ding them on their surveys, complain to BMWUSA, etc.

On the plus side, I think they'll be able to make you car good as new. Oddly enough, even though it can be a pain to maintain, my experience is that matte finishes hife imperfections and slight irregularities better. It's why home builders use flat paint.
2019 MB AMG C43 (Sold)
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Good luck my fellow FBW brother
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:07 PM   #6
Jsun21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsun21 View Post
I would say take it to the dealer, since they would be most familiar with frozen paint. If possible take to a dealer where they handle a good amount of individual cars. Purchased a Cpo frozen brilliant white g11 not too long ago from Century West BMW. Front bumper had some scuffs and had the license plate holes. Asked if the dealer could respray the front bumper as the car is a cpo after all and shouldn't have the scuffs on the front bumper. Dealer agreed to respray the front bumper free of charge and it came out perfect. Color match was good. It's a tiny bit off but I would say it's very well done for a frozen color. They did mentioned that they had to respray twice. But hey it's free so why not. Overall was satisfied as it came out good. First 3 pics are before. Last pic is after. Sorry didn't have any pics of the after outside under the sun.
Quote:
I see that you're in the Los Angeles area. Century West BMW in studio city is known for their individual selections. Also the body shop is on site. Front bumper respray for me took almost 2 weeks. Was skeptical since it took so long but I'm glad that it turned out great.
I actually leased the car from century west I guess I might as well go to them. Any idea what your guess is on price for a repair like this?
Don't really have an accurate guest as my g11 is my first frozen car. Were you able to get close with your client advisor? I'm sure they could work out something. If not then I would try calling the service department and see if they could give you a general estimate. Although service department would probably force you to come to the dealer. My rough guess would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a $1k.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

You are looking towards 2K-3K and make sure you use PPG paint. Best advice I can give you is get it done ASAP also PPF if you can.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:27 AM   #8
tsixtial
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
I’m taking it this week for estimates at century bmw in north Hollywood and Johnny’s auto body nearby there…I hope it’s not ridiculous numbers I get thrown at me. I don’t want to have to end up going through insurance and raising my rate
Totally understand, just ask what brand of paint they will be using and while your add it, I would ask them to sand down the reflectors and paint match them if you don’t like the amber.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
Jsun21
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsixtial View Post
You are looking towards 2K-3K and make sure you use PPG paint. Best advice I can give you is get it done ASAP also PPF if you can.
I’m taking it this week for estimates at century bmw in north Hollywood and Johnny’s auto body nearby there…I hope it’s not ridiculous numbers I get thrown at me. I don’t want to have to end up going through insurance and raising my rate
Update us when you get a quote! I'm actually curious myself how much it would cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 06:36 AM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I wonder could you have just that small area repaired locally rather than a full respray of the whole bumper. There is a natural crease line there. I had this done before on an X5 and it was only a few hundred bucks and not noticeable at all. Given it's a lease I would be avoiding paying thousands to fix that if I could. A good body shop should be able to make it work I would hope.

The other option could be to sand it down and have it PPF'd in stealth instead of painted but I'm Not sure if the match would be perfect or even tolerable but could be worth exploring and that way you are PPF'd too

Is there any CCTV to catch who did it? Did you check the drive recorder thing? Maybe it started recording when the car was hit? Probably Unlikely!!

My insurance has cover for accidents that cover the other driver who is under insured/no insurance. I've never filed a claim but again given that you didn't do this is there a way to have it not jack up your premium if you did claim since your not at fault?

Sorry if this is not helpful, just trying to think outside the box for a resolution!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #11
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
That looks like two different shades of colour tk me on the last pic
Appreciate 0