BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2021, 06:03 AM   #1
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Charging and payment

I wonder if we as BMW EV-owners/drivers can share our experiences in the use of charging cards. I have my focus currently on both France and Germany where my BMW Charging Card and Shell/New Motion Card will most likely help me for 99%.

I am also planning a trip to Scotland where there is a enormous array of charge point owners with each one his own payment card. Is this reality? Or is there a common denominator in roaming possible? If so, which one. For example I looked at the trip from Hull Ferry Terminal to John O’ Greats marker. So many companies available, but each one with his one card/app. Confusing.
It looks like Ireland is simpler but I am lost on North Ireland now.

Maybe worth a discussion and sometimes/hints from locals?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
sukhdev
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Saloon M Sport (F10)

The following YouTube video will help for UK apps and RFID cards:

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhdev View Post
The following YouTube video will help for UK apps and RFID cards:

Thanks Sukhdev for posting this video. Was very useful for me.

I wish I could return the favor but I am afraid every country on the continent has it’s own peculiarities.
I am working with ABRP as routeplanner a lot which might help you outside the UK. As mentioned in the video Plugshare is also useful.

In Netherlands there is someone publishing an overview of charge cards on a website called “Laadpas Top10” (charge card top 10). Comparing them on price and roaming usefulness. The site is in Dutch but on top you can select “suitability per Country” and seek the most usable card/app in a country.

I think a best common denominator on the continent is the Shell/NewMotion card/app. Now the travel restrictions are quickly vanishing I will go out on tour and experience it myself. Next to the Shell one I have the BMW Charging card (with 1 yr Ionity connect free offer). For some countries like Italy and Spain/Portugal I will seek advise later as the situation there seems to change a lot quickly. But the tourmotto will always be “never a dull day”!

Next to the above I can recommend the site “electricfelix.com”. This guy travels through the continent by EV and reports on options and possibilities for charging.
He compares chargers and cars while making trips.

Succes
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #4
DES_MX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

in NL BMW Charging (the upgraded price plan) + Ionity deal by far beats everything else out there (Laadpas top 10 etc). Normally you should be okay with BMW Charging + Newmotion / Nuon laadpas.
Appreciate 0