E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > e92 M3 Lip Spoiler - Positioning

11-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

e92 M3 Lip Spoiler - Positioning

Hi All,

Received my M3 lip spoiler from Teddy at SSDD Motorsport today.

Question is, what's the concensus on positioning??

Having had a quick test fit on my car, it looks as though there would be a reasonable amount of bending needed if I wanted to get the spoiler to follow the curve of the boot edge, as in it's natural (unstressed) position it's adrift by about 1" at the centre point (i.e it's 1" in from the boot edge).

What do you guys think? Should I let it take the natural position OR try and flex it to the shape of the boot edge? Personally, I'd prefer the look of the latter but it seems like it might be a real mare to achieve....

Would appreciate your votes either way..

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Had to flex mine to get it to fit properly and follow the boot contours.

To fit it I use some low-tack masking tape to help centralise it. I measure the spoiler and popped a bit of tape bang in the centre.

I then used the BMW badge on ther boot and stuck a strip of tape vertically upwards and stopped just short of where the spoiler attaches.

I also projected two tape lines from the boot shut line (between the tail lights) up ands over the boot lid - this shows where the edges of the spoiler will line up. I then peeled off the tape and got the missus to hold the right hand side of the spoiler to stop it touching the boot lid and sticking prematurely. I got the centre point lined up using the masking tape to help guide me, and then pressed the centre down into position. I then carefully and following the boot contour pressed the spoiler down into position. Once the left side was done, I took the right hand side from the missus and again working from the centre carefully pressed it down. The edges of the spoiler met exactly wth the tape that was projected up from the tailgate light units.

Very difficult to explain in words, lol! But hope you get the jist
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

Have a search on here - the M3 E92 has it a few mm away from the edge of the boot lid all the way round, and thats how I did mine.

The spoiler should be the same distance from the edge of the boot edge all the way round, whether you fit it flush or leave some gap.

If the spoiler wont bend to fit, I'd return it.
      11-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Have a search on here - the M3 E92 has it a few mm away from the edge of the boot lid all the way round, and thats how I did mine.

The spoiler should be the same distance from the edge of the boot edge all the way round, whether you fit it flush or leave some gap.

If the spoiler wont bend to fit, I'd return it.
+1 - mine is also a few mm in from the very edge of the boot lip
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I did mine like rede93 (but on my own...) but you will need to bend it to fit slightly.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
He's mine...when i fitted mine i parked it next to a E92 M3 in the dealers and did it that way.

Was told the roundal is centre point??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to everyone for your input - decision made: Contour following, fairly flush but a little bit in from the edge...my preferred route but looks like it might be a real sod to get right with this spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
... hope you get the jist
Cheers mate, thanks for the write up!!

Think I have the jist (mostly) - have only had a quick look at the spoiler so far but a couple of quick questions occur to me (sorry - feeling a bit thick today):

1) Did you use one 'width' of double sided tape or two?
2) You mentioned starting to peel the tape from the centre out, did you apply a strip (or strips x 2) of double sided from each end of the spoiler to the mid point (so you could peel them separately).

If the latter, then I guess it would be easiest to cut the two lengths of double sided in such a way that two tabs of the paper backing are left sticking out from under the centre of the spoiler, so they can easily be peeled back to reveal the glue face as you work from the centre of the spoiler outwards, flexing the spoiler as you go to follow the contour of the boot??

I know what I mean but as you said, not easy to explain.

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input - decision made: Contour following, fairly flush but a little bit in from the edge...my preferred route but looks like it might be a real sod to get right with this spoiler

Cheers mate, thanks for the write up!!

Think I have the jist (mostly) - have only had a quick look at the spoiler so far but a couple of quick questions occur to me (sorry - feeling a bit thick today):

1) Did you use one 'width' of double sided tape or two?
2) You mentioned starting to peel the tape from the centre out, did you apply a strip (or strips x 2) of double sided from each end of the spoiler to the mid point (so you could peel them separately).

If the latter, then I guess it would be easiest to cut the two lengths of double sided in such a way that two tabs of the paper backing are left sticking out from under the centre of the spoiler, so they can easily be peeled back to reveal the glue face as you work from the centre of the spoiler outwards, flexing the spoiler as you go to follow the contour of the boot??

I know what I mean but as you said, not easy to explain.

I used two widths of tape but had to trim each end down to a taper as the outside edges of the spoiler were not wide enough for my tape - I used Unibond's 'No more nails' instant grab tape. It is quite thick, a little rubbery and translucent. Spoiler has been on now for over 12 months I reckon and is stuck fine. Hopefully will come off next Spring when the car has to go back although I might just leave it on!

We use a strong label remover at work that will hopefully do the job if need be!

I know what you mean about the tape - it is just VERY sticky and once it grabs you dont want to be trying to pull it back off. It is an easy oner person job but defo easier with two. Extra pair of hands just makes it that little bit easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 01:52 AM   #9
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I used the BMW (3M) tape - made two long lengths (double width) and some "offcuts" at the extreme ends to hold it down better. In this weather warm the bootlid gently with a hairdryer before you apply.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
In this weather warm the bootlid gently with a hairdryer before you apply.
I'll have to 'borrow' one mate - bald as a coot with me no1 cut, so don't tend to need a hair dryer

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks guys!

I'll have to 'borrow' one mate - bald as a coot with me no1 cut, so don't tend to need a hair dryer
lol - I fitted mine in cold weather (similar to it is now) and it stuck OK - was worried about it not sticking but it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #12
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
lol - I fitted mine in cold weather (similar to it is now) and it stuck OK - was worried about it not sticking but it was fine.
Thanks - was gonna try and warm the area anyway but it's good to know it'll stick OK without heat.

Now all I need to do is buy the tape and set aside some time

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:43 AM   #13
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks - was gonna try and warm the area anyway but it's good to know it'll stick OK without heat.

Now all I need to do is buy the tape and set aside some time
Got my Unibond stuff from B&Q I think, was looking for 3M at the time but they did not have the rolls of it. One box is perfect for 2 strips of tape cost about a fiver

http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/uni...ext-ultra.html

Used the extra strong stuff. Even quotes car number plates and accessories in it's usage guide!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Mark II,

did it fit okay?

I'm thinking of doing the same and fitting one but I am not keen on having to flex it to fit.

Are they all like that?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Once flexed it fits the slight curve of the bootlid perfectly

Go for it! They look the dogs
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #16
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Simple 2 min job
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #17
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules6 View Post
Mark II,

did it fit okay?

I'm thinking of doing the same and fitting one but I am not keen on having to flex it to fit.

Are they all like that?
Hi Jules,

Been very busy but finally got around to fitting it yesterday morning.

I can't say whether all spoilers are the same in terms of having to flex to fit but mine seems to have gone on without a problem and has stayed put so far

It really does need two people to make fitting easier but following the advice on here it went on easily and looks very good:

I did a dry test fitting first, just to see how things would look and established that I needed to flex the spoiler in about 2" at each end (from its unstressed position) in order for it to follow the edge of the bootlid.

Then I dried and cleaned the bootlid, in my case using some Zymol pre-wax cleaner - just to remove the existing wax where the spoiler was due to sit - not sure if this was absolutely necessary but I did it anyway.

Using some low tack masking tape, (cut at one end to make an arrow shape), I positioned a marker on the centreline of the BMW boot badge - pointing up to where the edge of the spoiler was going to sit. I then measured to the centre of the spoiler and applied a similar arrow shaped peice of tape to point down at the rear of the spoiler - so I could get everything to line up perfectly.

One word of caution: Do a second dry test fitting at this stage because I found the centre line of my boot badge was not perfectly on the centre of the boot - it was off by about 3mm - doesn't sound like much but if I hadn't checked then the spoiler would have been closer to one side of the bootlid than the other and being a perfectionist that would have bugged me

I then applied the No More Nails Instant Grab tape in about 4 strips across the bottom of the spoiler (two large strips, one running left/one right from the centre out and two small end pieces for the tips of the spoiler) - I found this tape to be perfect as it was wide enough to fit the channel in the bottom of the spoiler to almost its full width - I only needed to cut down the end pieces of tape to taper them to the edges of the spoiler. If you apply the tape from the centre of the spoiler outwards then you will be able to guide it to fit the curve of the spoiler and judge where you need to stop (as the channel becomes narrower) in order to cut the tape, ready to then make the tapered end pieces. One roll of tape 1.5M was enough to do the spoiler (c£4 from B&Q) and I still had some left over.

Next I warmed the bootlid with a hair dryer for about 10 mins (just to get better adhesion in the cold weather), removed the protective tape from the centre to the right hand end of the spoiler and just pulled the protective strip off slightly from the centre left piece (ready so I could pull it out later). I then lined up my masking tape 'pointers' and judged the distance in from the edge of the bootlid and started to stick down the centre section with my able assistant holding the left hand end. Then, whilst holding down the centre section of the spoiler with my left hand, I worked my way to the right, lining up the back edge of the spoiler about 2mm in from the edge of the bootlid, guiding the spoiler down into position with my right hand as I stuck it to down to the boot.

Took a few moments then to press all the right hand end of the spoiler down again using firm hand pressure and a microfibre cloth to protect the paint.

Then I took the left hand end of the spoiler, lifted it slightly and removed all the remaining protective strip and repeated the same procedure from centre to left.

Let it set for an hour and then rewaxed/sealed the area.

£105 including the tape and a bit of time and Bob's your uncle.

I'll get some pics up when I have a mo.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #18
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
£105 including the tape and a bit of time and Bob's your uncle.
£105 ! I had a look on SSDD's website, but can't find any spoilers for that price for the E9x range? Would really like to get one for my e93 M3...
      11-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #19
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar2008 View Post
£105 ! I had a look on SSDD's website, but can't find any spoilers for that price for the E9x range? Would really like to get one for my e93 M3...
Hi,

It's £49.99 for the unpainted part, plus painting, plus double sided tape = £105 all in.

Pic of unpainted part here: http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/show_...&sub_cat_id=17

Give Teddy a call and he'll sort it out for you.

HTH

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #20
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

That's great, thanks... did you do the painting yourself?
      11-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
David, give Teddy a call and he'll sort it for you
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #22
Mark II
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booforty View Post
David, give Teddy a call and he'll sort it for you
What Paul said: Teddy arranged it with a local bodyshop - just give him your paint code and he'll sort it and post you the finished spoiler (then all you have to do is buy the double sided tape and fit it on).

Painting usually takes between 7 - 10 days depending on how busy the paintshop is at the time.

Appreciate 0