Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4 + Catless Downpipe + Resonator Delete = OMG

07-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
ghostB48
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

JB4 + Catless Downpipe + Resonator Delete = OMG

What's up everyone!

After a cool while of being pretty pissed that I couldn't ECU tune the car like past beloved bimmers, I decided to pull the trigger on the JB4. For this all I've got to say outta the box is that its nuts. I typically put 2-3.5 gallons of e85 and throw it on map 5 and wow is it a rocket.

After the JB4 I decided to get a VRSF catless downpipe to here some more pops and bangs while driving. After getting it installed there wasn't much of a difference until I actually learned how to get some noise out of the car when shifting with paddles. Timing it with the right RPM levels there are both some loud upshift farts and some nice pops while downshifting. However when driving around and downshifting, I could seriously hear the resonator (or as my mechanic called it secondary cats and resonator) seriously restricting the noise.

Here I am today, I just got the resonator removed a couple days ago and my only complaint is that I didn't do this any sooner. The car is now significantly faster and louder. I'm not too sure about my gas mileage yet but its all worth it. Very loud upshifts and downshifts now
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostB48 View Post
What's up everyone!

After a cool while of being pretty pissed that I couldn't ECU tune the car like past beloved bimmers, I decided to pull the trigger on the JB4. For this all I've got to say outta the box is that its nuts. I typically put 2-3.5 gallons of e85 and throw it on map 5 and wow is it a rocket.

After the JB4 I decided to get a VRSF catless downpipe to here some more pops and bangs while driving. After getting it installed there wasn't much of a difference until I actually learned how to get some noise out of the car when shifting with paddles. Timing it with the right RPM levels there are both some loud upshift farts and some nice pops while downshifting. However when driving around and downshifting, I could seriously hear the resonator (or as my mechanic called it secondary cats and resonator) seriously restricting the noise.

Here I am today, I just got the resonator removed a couple days ago and my only complaint is that I didn't do this any sooner. The car is now significantly faster and louder. I'm not too sure about my gas mileage yet but its all worth it. Very loud upshifts and downshifts now
Share a video!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
Share a video!
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:41 AM   #4
Arbitration
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
What's up everyone!

Definitely share a video clip!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Edit: disregard
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:49 PM   #6
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hate to highjack this thread but wanted to ask this question since you have the same VRSF catless downpipe.

So far I'm liking the sound, it's definitely louder and i like the extra Burbles. Only concern is I'm hearing the turbo a lot more at even low rpms. I know a Catless downpipe will let you hear the turbo more but it is this type of sound? Its like a more constant whine of it spooling and then i let off the gas and i can hear the air sucking. I'm use to the air sucking sound but is the more constant sound of turbo due to the Downpipe or Is it possibly a leak? Do you have a similar sound?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #7
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
g20_shub
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw 330i

Quote:
What's up everyone!

Hope we can get a video !! Looking to do the exact same
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
ghostB48
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Quote:
Hate to highjack this thread but wanted to ask this question since you have the same VRSF catless downpipe.

So far I'm liking the sound, it's definitely louder and i like the extra Burbles. Only concern is I'm hearing the turbo a lot more at even low rpms. I know a Catless downpipe will let you hear the turbo more but it is this type of sound? Its like a more constant whine of it spooling and then i let off the gas and i can hear the air sucking. I'm use to the air sucking sound but is the more constant sound of turbo due to the Downpipe or Is it possibly a leak? Do you have a similar sound?
Yes I've got a similar sound. Never actually minded it. I know if you get an intake that this sound is improved or even reduced depending on your liking.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 04:54 PM   #10
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I've got a similar sound. Never actually minded it. I know if you get an intake that this sound is improved or even reduced depending on your liking.
Thanks for the reassurance. I did double check and confirmed there was no leak yesterday. I think I'll add an intake next, have to decide which one.
Appreciate 0