F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Had to cut my cf GTS hood up
proTUNING Freaks

08-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Had to cut my cf GTS hood up

Just came back from doing the NC500 around Scotland.

On the first night we parked up at our hotel before the next days kick off and a few of us opened up our hoods. Went to finally close mine and the passenger side latch twanged. Couldn't re-open it and tried ignoring it until I got back home.

This morning I took the wheel off, stripped the liner out and found there was zero access to the lock mechanism from underneath. Luckily I did manage to feel the release cable and it was still intact with the plastic washer in the correct seating position. So I began ripping the vent out of my GTS hood to try and get a hand in but unfortunately there just wasn't any room so I ended up having to cut a huge hole in my carbon fibre hood.

The actual latch wasn't lined up properly, the black plastic sleeving that positions itself and clips into the actual hood had dropped a bit allowing the latch to spin. I guess when I closed the hood it was skewed and slipped straight off the sensor plate causing this:

It should have looked like this:

So as a precautionary, always check they're lined up properly! Luckily CF/FG is easy to cut, metal would have been a nightmare.

I'm now hunting for a metal hood to carbon skin as the lightweight cf version has been a handful when driving at speed.