BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Admiral Insurance

I have been a loyal customer with Admiral Insurance and so thought nothing about getting a new policy or any issues that may arise. I collect my iX3 next Tuesday and phoned to get it insured. Called and got fobbed off to Bangalore. I gave the details of the car and as the sales executive read back the details he mentioned in the description of the car AWD (All wheel drive) I told him that it was rear wheel as they were not made with all wheel drive. He paused and went away and returned telling me that they only have AWD. I said to him that BMW don't make them.
He then contacted pricing department and they stated that they can only quote for the all wheel drive. So I thought to my self, what the hell might as well get it insured but the sales chap said he could not as this was not the car I was insuring.
I complained and told that all other insurers have the clear correct description of the car and your description was not correct. I told them to check with BMW after all they built the car, lol they would not accept that. In the end had to go to another provider. Admiral Insurers simply have got this wrong but they would rather lose a customer than to check and correct this error. Even today its still showing the same (AWD) 15 years been with them. Crazy
Appreciate 1
gray1x12.00
      08-27-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I got an online quote for my iX3 from Admiral without any problems. I stayed with my present insurer and they didn’t have a problem identifying the car in their database.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Dave, I hope spoken at great length with the team and they have not been able find the correct specification and as it stands it still a four wheel drive on their database. I would double check and make sure as it could affect your claim which hopefully it won't. I have been with them for 15 years in total. You know its like talking to a bunch of monkeys over there. Their pricing and underwriters won't budge.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      08-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Dave just to update. Admiral came back and stated that they had the wrong ABI code for it and will correct this in the coming days. On different note insuring this car not too bad for price.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      09-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

Similar type of thing here (although not for an iX3)...

I was with a UK insurer called Zenith Insurance. Been with them for about 3 or 4 years while I owned my 2010 X1 and always received really good service/prices. I was swapping to a 2018 X3 30d M sport with about 2 months left on my current policy and I simply thought I'd get the policy changed over to the new car and then see what prices I get at renewal time.

When I phoned up and gave the X3 details... I got an instant answer of "Sorry, but we don't insure that type of car". I asked the agent to double check they have the right details for the car on their systems, and everything appeared correct. It does have a few options (21" wheels, ProNav etc), but apart from that it's just like any other X3 30d M sport.

I tried to get a bit more info, but all the agent could tell me was, our underwriter will not insure it. I asked if they insure Porsche Macan S's or Audi SQ5 and the agent said yes, they're on our systems.

I think something on a back-end database for this insurer or underwriter must be wrong with regard to my car, as I went to Tesco Insurance and got quoted within minutes, with a good price too.

First time I've had anything like this happen to me in 35 years of driving, and tbh... when Zenith told me "we don't insure that type of car"... I did panic for a bit thinking, oh no what have I bought

J.
2007 - Vauxhall Corsa CDTi
2004 - Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

It's down to the pricing department and where they get their data. I had to make a complaint and finally got to speak with some one who understood what I was saying. Its the ABI code. So best to keep pushing. Same here never before had a problem with Admiral or any other insurer. if my memory serves me correct Admiral and Zenith joined forces some two decades ago. I pushed Admiral as they were the cheapest!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
Dave just to update. Admiral came back and stated that they had the wrong ABI code for it and will correct this in the coming days. On different note insuring this car not too bad for price.
I checked my insurance listing a few days ago and it also shows the iX3 with AWD.

I have just received this response from Aviva:

I have also looked at the vehicle database we use to provide insurance and there are only two versions that come up made in 2021 that we can insure. One being the 2021 BMW IX3 PREMIER EDITION 232AH 282 5E AWD and the other being IX3 PREMIER PRO EDITION 232AH 282 5E AWD.

Both of which show All Wheel Drive. If you believe this information to be incorrect you would need to contact the DVLA to confirm what the correct details should be on their database as this is where we get this information.

You are insured on this vehicle at the moment and the documents showing AWD does not affect your cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Dave, yes got to speak with Admiral on Friday and they said that the data they they have their own data but sure where they source that from. If there is an issue they obtain data from Thatcham as a backup. Not sure why don't use the BMW information.

Even if this information is incorrect you are still covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
Hi Dave, yes got to speak with Admiral on Friday and they said that the data they they have their own data but sure where they source that from. If there is an issue they obtain data from Thatcham as a backup. Not sure why don't use the BMW information.

Even if this information is incorrect you are still covered.
I am covered. Aviva tell me that all insurers use the DVLA database. As they are happy that the car is properly insured, I will leave it to one of the insurers to resolve this anomaly.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Are BMW insurance not competitive ?

I found buying a 530 and then X3 they were very competitive for the first year and then I went back to aviva who also racked it up by 300 quid come renewal time so this year I went with Saga with guaranteed renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
I am covered. Aviva tell me that all insurers use the DVLA database. As they are happy that the car is properly insured, I will leave it to one of the insurers to resolve this anomaly.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 03:21 AM   #11
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Well because of the issue I had with Admiral I had to take one month insurance with BMW Flex. It cost me for the month £81.32. Admiral came back on Friday and are quoting around £520-530. So, for me at least there is a saving to be made. It all depends where you live and if its a hotspot for delinquents.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #12
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I've been quoted 460 for insurance on mine, which isn't too bad I don't think. But still have 6 months with current supplier who have said its going to cost me an extra 85 quid for my current policy (which was for the 225xe and that was 416) so I'll just do that for now, as cba to try cancel etc. But was expecting it to be a bit more than my 225xe insurance, pleasantly supprised it's not going to be, now just need to wait for dealer to have it delivered! Come on Syntner, 😊
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
I've been quoted 460 for insurance on mine, which isn't too bad I don't think. But still have 6 months with current supplier who have said its going to cost me an extra 85 quid for my current policy (which was for the 225xe and that was 416) so I'll just do that for now, as cba to try cancel etc. But was expecting it to be a bit more than my 225xe insurance, pleasantly supprised it's not going to be, now just need to wait for dealer to have it delivered! Come on Syntner, 😊
Pretty good deal. Decent price for a such a large car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 07:36 AM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

20 years ncb and being an old fart has its benefits 😂
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Are people still having issues getting these insured or is it all sorted out now?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #16
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevz65 View Post
Are people still having issues getting these insured or is it all sorted out now?
Just tried to insure the IX3 and LV have declined because there is no tracker fitted????
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #17
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Hoping that one of you can help, does the BMW app have the ability to track the vehicle or show its location? LV will not insure without this.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I would try a different insurer. LV seem to have some history of asking for it.https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=23&t=1708513

I don't think the GPS location of the car on the app is acceptable.
There is a specific device/monitoring and certificate required (my RR SPORT had it built in and was a yearly subscription after the first 3 years). I doubt the Ix3 has that...
2021 G08 IX3 [ordered]
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #19
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

Hi so can confirm the BMW app is only a locator that can be switched off from the I drive in the car. So you would need a proper tracker. Try other insurers and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #20
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
Hoping that one of you can help, does the BMW app have the ability to track the vehicle or show its location? LV will not insure without this.
I had a Porsche Boxster S a few years back; used and valued around £12k. The previous owner had a tracker fitted, but the subscription had lapsed.

When I obtained insurance quotes, it was more expensive when I declared the tracker!! Needless to say I did not resubscribe to the tracker service!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:38 AM   #21
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Insurance quote update

Just incase it helps others wanted to share this.

My current provider LV Insurance refused to cover the IX3 unless it had a tracker, if fitted they would want £540.00 for straight forward comprehensive quote with no extras. Went to Aviva and got a quote for £390.00 which included No Claims Bonus Protection, breakdown with roadside assistance and national recovery if not able to fix, Legal cover, Personal accident cover. No brainer really, so have signed up with Aviva.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #22
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep

That's a good deal. I am paying £530 with Admiral. Like you said its a no brainer at that price.
Appreciate 0