E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Car locked( manual lock does not work)

09-03-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i sedan (dior)

Car locked( manual lock does not work)

I’m locked out of my car and now it won’t unlock… I stopped driving like 2 weeks ago anddd i never got around to replacing the unlock part on the driver door actuator so it’s impossible to get in. The key fob is dead and it’s a non comfort access key.. I think i’m screwed lmfao

Please tell me i can charge my key in another E90???
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Pretty sure you can pop the plastic off the key fob and put in a new battery since it's non comfort access. Might need to solder. Take it to any locksmith that deals with car keys and they'll know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Turning the key to the right twice on the driver's door unlocks all of them on my cars. So even if the actuator doesn't work, you might not be SOL.

Can you go in through the trunk? Never tried to charge a key in another car, but it might work particularly if someone has comfort access and doesn't use their key slot.

You can replace the soldered-in battery in non-CA keys. Lots of posts/videos how to do it, but if the battery works fine, you could still just break open the case and "jump it" with another 3V battery.

If you went that route, it'll destroy the case, but still be functional. The replacement cases are around $10 on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Turning the key to the right twice on the driver's door unlocks all of them on my cars. So even if the actuator doesn't work, you might not be SOL.

Can you go in through the trunk? Never tried to charge a key in another car, but it might work particularly if someone has comfort access and doesn't use their key slot.

You can replace the soldered-in battery in non-CA keys. Lots of posts/videos how to do it, but if the battery works fine, you could still just break open the case and "jump it" with another 3V battery.

If you went that route, it'll destroy the case, but still be functional. The replacement cases are around $10 on Amazon.
I bought a bmw e90 key shell way before I actually bought the car, idk why. But i’ll just take it apart and move over the internals. Will that work ? And will it still need to be soldered
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #5
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

You can just jump the key with a regular 3V battery to the +/- terminals after you disassemble it. If he battery is still good, it will charge once inserted in the car. If the battery is bad, then yes, you'll need to solder a new rechargeable battery in as it is not removeable.
Although, I'd try the unlock twice thing first with the key in the drivers door.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can just jump the key with a regular 3V battery to the +/- terminals after you disassemble it. If he battery is still good, it will charge once inserted in the car. If the battery is bad, then yes, you'll need to solder a new rechargeable battery in as it is not removeable.
Although, I'd try the unlock twice thing first with the key in the drivers door.
The lock cylinder is broken i already tried. Sooo the only way left to get it open is for somebody to press the lock button in between the ac units because the key won’t open it from the outside and the new lock actuators won’t unlock from pulling the interior handles if the car is locked…
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
UK_Nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 325i Cabriolet

Wink

from https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...35&postcount=6

09-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #8
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Nomad View Post
God knows i wished this work … It’s been on the wireless charger all night and it did not work
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #9
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonversace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Nomad View Post
God knows i wished this work … It’s been on the wireless charger all night and it did not work
Have you tried a sonicare toothbrush charger? Someone have claimed that worked with our keys.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:58 PM   #10
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried a sonicare toothbrush charger? Someone have claimed that worked with our keys.

I don’t have that and i just wanna go ahead and change it, i’m just going to bite the bullet and attempt to solder another battery since I already have a shell and just bought a small soldering iron.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

How long has it been since the engine ran? Does your Trunk mechanical key work? Is your Car battery FLAT? What did you do inside the driver door to prevent mechanical key from working? WHAT did you disconnect? Have you considered a "Slim Jim" or if you've never used one, what would a Locksmith charge to come out and use one to open Driver door, if in fact he can detent door latch on your model?

Dealer could tell you if your Remote Key is sending Radio Signal. No sense spending time/money on new key if (1) car battery is Flat; (2) Aerial diversity is NOT working. Not sure what you mean "Lock cylinder is broken". Does Key fit into lock cylinder? Will key NOT turn once inserted? Does Lock cylinder turn but nothing happens?

Sounds like a locksmith who specializes in auto door locks (mechanical) is what you need. Don't think you'll find one on this Forum. Certainly NOT me.

George
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #12
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
How long has it been since the engine ran? Does your Trunk mechanical key work? Is your Car battery FLAT? What did you do inside the driver door to prevent mechanical key from working? WHAT did you disconnect? Have you considered a "Slim Jim" or if you've never used one, what would a Locksmith charge to come out and use one to open Driver door, if in fact he can detent door latch on your model?

Dealer could tell you if your Remote Key is sending Radio Signal. No sense spending time/money on new key if (1) car battery is Flat; (2) Aerial diversity is NOT working. Not sure what you mean "Lock cylinder is broken". Does Key fit into lock cylinder? Will key NOT turn once inserted? Does Lock cylinder turn but nothing happens?

Sounds like a locksmith who specializes in auto door locks (mechanical) is what you need. Don't think you'll find one on this Forum. Certainly NOT me.

George
Details: Car last driven on August 27 at night
Trunk mechanic key works, but alarm will activate, not sure if that’ll lock down the vehicle, No way to get through trunk which is hilarious LOL Car battery is new and is not dead. Lock cylinder turns with resistance like something is connected, but doesn’t open anything. Tried rolling windows down with key and turning it two times but did nothing. I replaced all door lock actuators so either somebody tried to steal something and jammed it or me replacing the actuator alone made it not functional. I watched a video and it said it’ll break if you just replace the actuator so I’m sure it’s just broken. I’m also sure the aerial diversity is fine because the key range gradually got short after I bought the car.

I’m sure the locksmith is my only option but I just need a way to get in the car so I can 1. unscrew the cylinder so I won’t need the key to get in and 2. start the car to charge the key’s battery just in case it loses function. I also really need to get it unlocked before the center lock turns off if the car’s battery dies

Last edited by yonversace; 09-04-2021 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #13
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Well… the clown nose stopped flashing so i assume it died. Looks like I have to go to the ste- ste- stealership 😔
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Just have the tools you need to access and disconnect Negative Battery Terminal (10mm socket) handy. How much noise can a Flat Battery make & for HOW LONG?
THEN, unlock the Boot & Disconnect battery (-) Terminal. Some models have rear seatback release in boot so you can get into vehicle that way. Check battery voltage at posts, and if <12.0V, charge battery with Negative Terminal disconnected, Negative Battery Charger Clamp on (-) Battery Post (so as NOT to damage IBS).

IF that doesn't get you "Inside", then I would call a locksmith. He probably knows more, and charges LESS than Dealer.
George
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #15
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t have that and i just wanna go ahead and change it, I’m just going to bite the bullet and attempt to solder another battery since I already have a shell and just bought a small soldering iron.
It's easy. One thing to note... all the the replacement batteries all have this problem. They sit slightly higher than the original which can cause the contact of the buttons on the new case to not make the correct contact with the buttons on the circuit board. The way I fixed this was to clip the posts on the inside of the case with nail clippers until the circuit board laid flush. It's probably less than a mm that you have to trim. Prior to that I would have to press on the buttons very hard to get it to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #16
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just have the tools you need to access and disconnect Negative Battery Terminal (10mm socket) handy. How much noise can a Flat Battery make & for HOW LONG?
THEN, unlock the Boot & Disconnect battery (-) Terminal. Some models have rear seatback release in boot so you can get into vehicle that way. Check battery voltage at posts, and if <12.0V, charge battery with Negative Terminal disconnected, Negative Battery Charger Clamp on (-) Battery Post (so as NOT to damage IBS).

IF that doesn't get you "Inside", then I would call a locksmith. He probably knows more, and charges LESS than Dealer.
George
Well here’s another uncommon job my car throws at my head like a brick… Thanks for the info though definitely useful. Hoping the alarm doesn’t activate because it operates on its own battery which is rather weird how it’s the only thing not dead on this car LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #17
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

The alarm stops blaring as soon as you disconnect the battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:28 PM   #18
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The alarm stops blaring as soon as you disconnect the battery.
Really? maybe i was thinking about when the siren is unplugged while it’s on, idk.

But what really stopped me is people complaining about the replacement batteries falling apart or the car not starting at all after replacement… or the car not unlocking… Where did you buy your replacement batteries? I’m having trouble finding a 1:1 copy by Panasonic, some of the batteries aren’t held together by the little metal things on it very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 12:51 AM   #19
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But what really stopped me is people complaining about the replacement batteries falling apart or the car not starting at all after replacement… or the car not unlocking… Where did you buy your replacement batteries? I'm having trouble finding a 1:1 copy by Panasonic, some of the batteries aren't held together by the little metal things on it very well.
I haven't had any problems with them. I bought mine from Amazon from different sellers at different times, but they were all Panasonic. As far as I can tell, they all are.

The battery type is VL2020. This is an example of one that is exactly like the one in fob currently:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BK19D63...G5XAH4X2XN6QZK

Below is what 99% of the replacement ones look like. Note the difference in the manner the connectors are attached. The broadening of the blades are what cause it to not sit as low on the board.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SW1H6S...UTF8&psc=1

Which ever ones you purchase, make sure the pins are offset 90 degrees. Some of the listings that come from a search of "VL2020 BMW battery" have pins that are offset 180 degrees. Those will not work.

As far as people complaining that the car wouldn't start, I'm not sure what cause that since the battery can be completely dead and the car will still start. Although I did hear of some of the replacement fobs not fitting in the slot properly, I didn't have that problem on my e60 (my e91 has comfort access, so this was never a problem as it takes regular batteries)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #20
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

I might just throw a brick at the window instead LMFAO. The locksmiths said they cAn’T dO iT and the dealership is going to be astronomical i’m scared to call
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:42 PM   #21
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

A thin steel rod from Home Depot and something to pry up on the either the left or right door b pillar area to hold it open.
Bend the steel rod whichever way needed to reach and poke the center lock button.

You’ll have to jump the battery and deal with the alarm if the battery is dead.

I got locked out of my e90 once because the battery died and I didn’t have the metal key to open it. I had bought a used window ready to break it if I couldn’t get the car open.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #22
yonversace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

George
I did everything but now it won’t charge… I have no clue what i’m doing wrong, and my multimeter apparently isn’t working because it reads everything at 0 volts (i tested it on some other things around the house)

What am I missing ? I jumped in through the boot before with the small battery pack now apparently i can’t wtf.
Appreciate 0