E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Why do I have a CA key?

09-08-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Why do I have a CA key?

My 330 doesn't have comfort access. I can't start the car without the key inserted in the dash, I don't have the bumps on the door handle, and the VIN decoders don't show the option on my car.

I dropped my key today and the battery cover popped off and a battery fell out. I thought only the CA keys have the removeable battery? I never noticed the opening on the back of the key fob before - my 325i keys don't have this.

Was it possible that the key was replaced, and the dealer used a CA key instead?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

yes, sure seems like you have the CA key.

My 06 330i doesn't have CA and there is no compartment for battery on those keys.

My 07 335i does have CA and there is a rear flap you can pop open and stick a CR 2032 or something like that in it.

If I understand the theory correctly BMW knew non-CA cars always needed to have the key in the ignition so they just designed it with an internally rechargeable battery, but with CA cars I mean who is going to stick the key in the ignition when you don't really have to.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:21 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Interesting!

Too bad you weren’t planning to retrofit CA haha. I don’t know the exact process, but I seem to recall getting a CA key programmed is a big part.
      09-09-2021, 01:50 AM   #4
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Probably a replacement key from a lock smith.
Does it have the bmw logo on the back?
E93 335i-DINAN tuned. Alpine over Saddle brown
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      09-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Probably a replacement key from a lock smith.
Does it have the bmw logo on the back?
I think this is the answer. I was looking in more detail and sure enough it appears to be a generic replacement. I read some other threads about this too. The battery door doesn't appear to be sealed well either.

Now I need to look into getting a replacement from a dealer. I do need a second key anyway. I also want to get the other keys deactivated - how likey is it that a dealer would do this without touching anything else (don't want to lose any of my coding.) I know it's completely possible, just wondering how likely it is that they'll just do the keys and not touch anything else as a "courtesy."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
yes, sure seems like you have the CA key.

My 06 330i doesn't have CA and there is no compartment for battery on those keys.

My 07 335i does have CA and there is a rear flap you can pop open and stick a CR 2032 or something like that in it.

If I understand the theory correctly BMW knew non-CA cars always needed to have the key in the ignition so they just designed it with an internally rechargeable battery, but with CA cars I mean who is going to stick the key in the ignition when you don't really have to.
In some - not sure if it's an option or codeable etc - of our cars you can start and run without the key in the ignition...sort of;
Put the key in and start the engine
Stop the engine
Take the key out
Start the car as normal, but without the key in the ignition
...continue as normal. You can lock the car and walk away, leaving the engine running. You can drive as normal like this. I'm not sure what the behaviour is if you stall though.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #7
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I think this is the answer. I was looking in more detail and sure enough it appears to be a generic replacement. I read some other threads about this too. The battery door doesn't appear to be sealed well either.

Now I need to look into getting a replacement from a dealer. I do need a second key anyway. I also want to get the other keys deactivated - how likey is it that a dealer would do this without touching anything else (don't want to lose any of my coding.) I know it's completely possible, just wondering how likely it is that they'll just do the keys and not touch anything else as a "courtesy."
The techs won’t know what you’ve coded and I highly doubt they will default code your modules unless something goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #8
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
In some - not sure if it's an option or codeable etc - of our cars you can start and run without the key in the ignition...sort of;
Put the key in and start the engine
Stop the engine
Take the key out
Start the car as normal, but without the key in the ignition
...continue as normal. You can lock the car and walk away, leaving the engine running. You can drive as normal like this. I'm not sure what the behaviour is if you stall though.
While this is true, I've done like like 3x ever in my 15 years of owning my 330i. I suspect this is not something owners do every single time they drive the non-CA cars since its actually more work to do this than just sticking the car in and driving normally, hence battery being charged fairly constantly.

Another thing to keep in mind is it doesn't take that long to recharge the battery either. My wife has the 2nd key for each of my cars on her keychain in case of emergency, she ends up driving the non-CA 330i once every 9-12 months and never has issues with dead batteries. She has gotten warnings about low battery but by the time she gets to her destination its got enough charge to stop the warnings from coming back.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
While this is true, I've done like like 3x ever in my 15 years of owning my 330i. I suspect this is not something owners do every single time they drive the non-CA cars since its actually more work to do this than just sticking the car in and driving normally, hence battery being charged fairly constantly.
Totally true. I think it would see regular use in very cold climates, where it would be used to let the car warm up/defrost before a journey.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #10
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I just got a new fob for the 325i from BMW dealer because it only came with one. I bought a CA fob like you're describing on Ebay for $11, figured it was worth a try, I took it to the locksmith, he said he could program it to a non-CA car as long as it hadn't been updated. I'm unclear on exactly which update or when it was rolled out, trying to figure that out but mine has recent updates and he couldn't establish communication with his programmer. I gave up and coughed up $280 to the stealer, showed them the registration and ID and they had a working non-CA key there for me in 3 days. So apparently CA keys will work under certain conditions, just not making use of the CA features. Anyone with more insight into this appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #11
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
I just got a new fob for the 325i from BMW dealer because it only came with one. I bought a CA fob like you're describing on Ebay for $11, figured it was worth a try, I took it to the locksmith, he said he could program it to a non-CA car as long as it hadn't been updated.
My 325i key (original from the car) looks exactly like yours on the left, with the original logos. My 330i key is the same style as the one on the right, except mine has the "V" logo, the "Siemens VDO" and FCC ID markings, and a BMW roundel on the lock button. It's either a Non-BMW-branded Siemens VDO replacement key, or it's a cheap knockoff that copied the markings. It feels exactly like the original key I have for my 325i - if it is a cheap knockoff it's surprisingly good plastic and quality.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #12
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

I’ve also seen that on aftermarket keys, the casing separates with clips it has.
On OEM keys, they cannot be separated without needed glue to go back together.
Some aftermarket keys have the bmw logo on the lock button and others don’t.
The knockoffs feel the same as oem with age.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #13
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
My 325i key (original from the car) looks exactly like yours on the left, with the original logos. My 330i key is the same style as the one on the right, except mine has the "V" logo, the "Siemens VDO" and FCC ID markings, and a BMW roundel on the lock button. It's either a Non-BMW-branded Siemens VDO replacement key, or it's a cheap knockoff that copied the markings. It feels exactly like the original key I have for my 325i - if it is a cheap knockoff it's surprisingly good plastic and quality.
I got 2 keys with the 330i, both appear to be originals, both like the non-CA key that came with the 325i and the new one from the dealer in the pic (no battery door). But my locksmith who is pretty good on most things told me (*anecdote disclaimer) that he used to be able to program the CAS fobs (any fobs) but the encryption had been updated at some point on the cars, now he can't do any of them if the car was updated after a certain date. He was busy so didn't get details but at some point BMW dealer module updates stopped his programmer from working, and they're over $1k for one that will work, I looked so no wonder he hasn't bought one for his little hole in the wall. Nor is it worth me buying one when I have no more BMW keys to replace on the horizon since I got a $11 item for $280 from BMW.

Edit: Other than the battery door difference the $11 knockoff I got feels exactly like the OEM fob, only difference is the logo on front that I could have added for 29c. It *is* higher security tho, little chance of someone stealing your signal and making a key.

Last edited by 3PedalJake; 09-14-2021 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #14
Mantraxalos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
2006 330I  [0.00]
There are also options on ebay for around $110 last time I checked. You do have to mail the CAS with the key, so no car for about a week.
I did it with my 330i and got a working key with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
I got 2 keys with the 330i, both appear to be originals, both like the non-CA key that came with the 325i and the new one from the dealer in the pic (no battery door). But my locksmith who is pretty good on most things told me (*anecdote disclaimer) that he used to be able to program the CAS fobs (any fobs) but the encryption had been updated at some point on the cars, now he can't do any of them if the car was updated after a certain date. He was busy so didn't get details but at some point BMW dealer module updates stopped his programmer from working, and they're over $1k for one that will work, I looked so no wonder he hasn't bought one for his little hole in the wall. Nor is it worth me buying one when I have no more BMW keys to replace on the horizon since I got a $11 item for $280 from BMW.
Appreciate 0