E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just bought e90 with MHD tune but I have no experience tuning or modding.

09-13-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
platano_4life
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Just bought e90 with MHD tune but I have no experience tuning or modding.

Hello everyone! I just bought an 08 335xi 6 speed sedan. I am completely new to this forum and to the tuning world so please bear with me.
I bought the car as a project car as is. The car is definitely not stock. The previous owner said it has an MHD tune, bigger turbos, after market blowoff valve, after marker coil packs, vrsf charge pipe. Thats all the info he gave me, nothing else. I guess my question is where do i go from here to insure the car i just bought isnt
1. over boosting
2. which MHD tune its running and
3.how to mess with the MHD tune.
Thank you everyone in advanced!!!
Ill be posting pictures soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

You`ll need to buy a copy of MHD for yourself and a K+ dcan cable (something like that) -

Unfortunately MHD lock the license to an email address so people that don`t think ahead cant pass the license on with the car.

There may be other-ways but that's the easiest and correct way imo.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
platano_4life
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase.

You`ll need to buy a copy of MHD for yourself and a K+ dcan cable (something like that) -

Unfortunately MHD lock the license to an email address so people that don`t think ahead cant pass the license on with the car.

There may be other-ways but that's the easiest and correct way imo.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Like I said I've never had a car this modded and its a little over whelming.
but Ill see about getting a license after I fix other little issues then.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Hey Welcome and congrats on the new car,

Like mentioned above you will need to buy your own MHD license since we assume the previous selling didn't give you his email and login details. I would suggest you just purchase the super license, I made the mistake of buying modules individually and have paid much more than I would have if I had just bought the super one from the start.

1. Overboosting is usually accompanied by codes, normally troubleshooting stuff like this requires you to capture a log in MHD which you can upload to datazap.me and have the geniuses on here help you figure out where the problem could be.

2. This will be written in the log once you start logging.

3. what do you mean "mess with the MHD tune" you mean like change all the values manually to make it a custom tune or just flashing to a different off the shelf (OTS) tune?
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platano_4life View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond!
Like I said I've never had a car this modded and its a little over whelming.
but Ill see about getting a license after I fix other little issues then.
NP. Plenty of threads and topics on here. Have a search around, you`ll get loads of great info.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #6
platano_4life
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Hey Welcome and congrats on the new car,

Like mentioned above you will need to buy your own MHD license since we assume the previous selling didn't give you his email and login details. I would suggest you just purchase the super license, I made the mistake of buying modules individually and have paid much more than I would have if I had just bought the super one from the start.

1. Overboosting is usually accompanied by codes, normally troubleshooting stuff like this requires you to capture a log in MHD which you can upload to datazap.me and have the geniuses on here help you figure out where the problem could be.

2. This will be written in the log once you start logging.

3. what do you mean "mess with the MHD tune" you mean like change all the values manually to make it a custom tune or just flashing to a different off the shelf (OTS) tune?

Well I just thought that maybe having more boost than factory would trigger a over boosting code. i was just worried about to much boost because the car supposedly have bigger turbos and an aftermarket blowoff valve. so I'm assuming the MHD license will tell me how much boost the car is receiving when I monitor?
when I said "mess with the tune" I was referring to changing the stage or reverting back and forth between stock tune and MHD tune.
Thank you for your response!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
platano_4life
Enlisted Member
Rep

The guy i bought it from just told me it has the stage 2+ flash on it currently.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #8
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep

Quote:
The guy i bought it from just told me it has the stage 2+ flash on it currently.
Okies - It won`t have bigger turbos as that would require a custom tune.

People do use MHD to essentialy load a custom tune but MHD stage 2+ is an off the shelf tune and would not work with after market bigger turbos.

Did he tell you what fuel option it is set to so you know which gas(?) you should be getting?

Stage 2+ has 6 different fuel types to choose from on the version 9 maps.

If it drives and throws no codes you are, relatively, fine - Lookalikehuh advice was sound.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
platano_4life
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Okies - It won`t have bigger turbos as that would require a custom tune.

People do use MHD to essentialy load a custom tune but MHD stage 2+ is an off the shelf tune and would not work with after market bigger turbos.

Did he tell you what fuel option it is set to so you know which gas(?) you should be getting?

Stage 2+ has 6 different fuel types to choose from on the version 9 maps.

If it drives and throws no codes you are, relatively, fine - Lookalikehuh advice was sound.

Thank you I didn't know about the different fuel type options. He just wrote me back and told me the tune is set with 93. As far as the turbos go I must have misunderstood him, but I will verify tomorrow morning if the turbos are indeed stock.
Also, I was looking at the MHD page for the wireless adapter and there are two options, the orange and the black one. would both work on my car? does it even matter which one I get?

Again, thank you everyone for the help!
Appreciate 1
Chapperss492.00
      09-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep

Quote:
Thank you I didn't know about the different fuel type options. He just wrote me back and told me the tune is set with 93. As far as the turbos go I must have misunderstood him, but I will verify tomorrow morning if the turbos are indeed stock.
Also, I was looking at the MHD page for the wireless adapter and there are two options, the orange and the black one. would both work on my car? does it even matter which one I get?

Again, thank you everyone for the help!
You`ve got an E series bud, specifically if its the Sedan as you state its an E90, so the Orange is the one you need. Now saying that, If you are using Android, you don`t need a wireless adapter and can buy a K+ Dcan cable for like $10 (i`m guessing on the conversion) and just plug that in to your phone, you may need an adapter as well USB to whatever USB type your phone is.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
platano_4life
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You`ve got an E series bud, specifically if its the Sedan as you state its an E90, so the Orange is the one you need. Now saying that, If you are using Android, you don`t need a wireless adapter and can buy a K+ Dcan cable for like $10 (i`m guessing on the conversion) and just plug that in to your phone, you may need an adapter as well USB to whatever USB type your phone is.

Awesome thank you for the info. Is a K+Dcan cable simply a cable that goes from obd2 to usb or does it also have to be specifically advertised as a K+Dcan cable? Because I found loads of them that didn't say K+Dcan.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:27 PM   #12
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Well I just thought that maybe having more boost than factory would trigger a over boosting code.
So once you get up and running with MHD this will start to sort of make sense. Normally over boosting occurs when there is something wrong in the system and the car is failing to purge excess boost the way its expecting to.

When you "tune" the car the "boost target" is changed from like 8 PSI stock to like 14-19PSI depending on the map you chose. As long as the car is very close to that new target you won't get any codes that will set for over or under boosting. If you do get codes for over or under boosting that usually signals there is an issue, commonly issues arise due to vacuum leak, faulty diverter valves/Blow off valves, loose connections in the turbo pipes, or wastegate issues on the turbos themselves.

Not sure how available E85 is in your neck in the woods but I personally saw quite a bit of gains switching from crappy California 91 octane fuels to E50 mix.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #13
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep

Has to be specifically a K+Dcan to do coding stuff dude!

Regular OBD2 cables will allow you to read a clear codes but not change maps or mess with other bits and bobs
Appreciate 0